VZ dumps UseNet

Old August 30th 09, 10:54 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
mazorj

Default VZ dumps UseNet

I see that we have a fair number of participants who post under a Verizon
account. In case you hadn't heard, this reprint of a Verizon announcement
was on one of the 0.verizon newsgroups. Their bean counters have dropped
the other shoe. We no longer will be able to get rcc or any other UseNet
groups using the Verizon newsgroups service. Follow the link to a site
where you can find an alternative method to get UseNet groups.

IMPORTANT - Verizon newsgroup service to be discontinued.

Newsgroups were initially developed as a text-based way to share information
on
the Internet. Today, demand for newsgroups is much lower, since most users
have
switched to more exciting ways of getting and sharing information via the
Web,
such as social networks, email and sites such as our Verizon Central
Newsroom.

Because of the reduced demand for newsgroups, on September 30, 2009, Verizon
will discontinue its USENET newsgroup service. Subscribers will not be able
post or download material from the Verizon newsgroup service after this
date.

INFORMATION ABOUT VERIZON'S ELIMINATION OF ITS NEWSGROUP SERVICE

1. When will Verizon discontinue its newsgroup service?

The service will be discontinued on September 30, 2009. After this date,
Verizon's Newsgroup service will no longer be active.

2. If I want to continue to access newsgroups, what are my options?

There are several commercial newsgroup providers that you can consider. You
may
want to review some options at www.newsgroupreviews.com. The available
content,
posting policies, terms and prices (if applicable) will vary, so you should
select the one that is right for you. If you elect to access a non-Verizon
newsgroup service over the Verizon network, our Terms of Service and
Acceptable
Use Policy will still apply to your use of our Internet service.

3. Are any changes to my software required?

Yes. You will need to do two things. First, you will need to remove the
verizon.net USENET newsgroup service from your newsreader software. Second,
if
you want to continue accessing newsgroups, you will need to configure your
newsreader software to connect to your new newsgroup service. Follow your
new
service provider's instructions for accessing their newsgroup service.

The following link explains how to unsubscribe to Newsgroups in Outlook
Express:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/171190

4. Will this change to the newsgroup service affect my Verizon Internet
service?
This change will not affect your ability to use your Verizon Internet
service or
other commercial newsgroup services, and there will not be any change to the
price you pay for your Verizon High Speed Internet or Verizon FiOS Internet
service.

Old August 31st 09, 02:24 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Jon Purkey

On Sun, 30 Aug 2009 21:54:07 GMT, "mazorj" wrote:

INFORMATION ABOUT VERIZON'S ELIMINATION OF ITS NEWSGROUP SERVICE

1. When will Verizon discontinue its newsgroup service?

The service will be discontinued on September 30, 2009. After this date,
Verizon's Newsgroup service will no longer be active.

Thanks for the information. Looks like I'll need to find another news
server, and one that works. I tried a couple free ones when the alt.
groups were dropped, but half the time I'd get a failed connection
when trying to read or post and I eventually just gave up on the 1 or
2 alt. groups that I still read. Looks like I'll have to pay.
Old August 31st 09, 02:24 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Mike Marotta

On Aug 30, 5:54*pm, "mazorj" wrote:
I see that we have a fair number of participants who post under a Verizon
account. *In case you hadn't heard ...
There are several commercial newsgroup providers ...

http://www.google.com
under the MOREv dropdown, at the far right
click and find
Groups (!)
Books
Scholar
and more

Click on Groups.

The lower segment under EXPLORE GROUPS, in the search box,
keyin
rec.collecting.coins
Click "Search for a group"
find
rec.collecting.coins
and
uk.collecting.coins

Mike M.
Michael E. Marotta
"Internet Connnections"

Old August 31st 09, 06:04 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Meerkat1

In article ,
"mazorj" wrote:

I see that we have a fair number of participants who post under a Verizon
account. In case you hadn't heard, this reprint of a Verizon announcement
was on one of the 0.verizon newsgroups. Their bean counters have dropped
the other shoe. We no longer will be able to get rcc or any other UseNet
groups using the Verizon newsgroups service. Follow the link to a site
where you can find an alternative method to get UseNet groups.

-snip-

An easy and free way to get rcc and to avoid google groups is to use
aioe.org

Their usenet server is nntp.aioe.org

No registration or authentication required. SSL (port 563) is supported
as well as all the usual ports.

An alternative with better retention is news.eternal-september.org
This server requires registration but is also free. Their website with
instructions is

http://www.eternal-september.org/

Good luck...

PS You should know that many usenet participants kill-file all messages
posted through google groups (particularly in the comp.sys.* groups). I
don't; but, some do.

This message is posted through aioe.org

--
Meerkat1
Old September 1st 09, 05:28 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Jon Purkey

On Mon, 31 Aug 2009 01:04:36 -0400, Meerkat1
wrote:

An easy and free way to get rcc and to avoid google groups is to use
aioe.org

Their usenet server is nntp.aioe.org

No registration or authentication required. SSL (port 563) is supported
as well as all the usual ports.

That was one I tried. But I would get failed connection messages. I
will give it another try though since maybe it has improved. It's
still on the list of servers, just unchecked.

An alternative with better retention is news.eternal-september.org
This server requires registration but is also free. Their website with
instructions is

http://www.eternal-september.org/

Good luck...

Thanks. It does not have to be free though, but I would prefer a
service where I just pay for the bandwidth I use, rather than pay a
monthly fee even for months I don't use it. I was told of such a pay
for what you use service several months ago, but never looked into it.
Hopefully I still have the email.

PS You should know that many usenet participants kill-file all messages
posted through google groups (particularly in the comp.sys.* groups). I
don't; but, some do.

I only use Google Groups to search old messages.
Old September 7th 09, 04:25 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
George D[_5_]

mazorj wrote:
I see that we have a fair number of participants who post under a
Verizon account. In case you hadn't heard, this reprint of a Verizon
announcement was on one of the 0.verizon newsgroups. Their bean
counters have dropped the other shoe. We no longer will be able to get
rcc or any other UseNet groups using the Verizon newsgroups service.
Follow the link to a site where you can find an alternative method to
get UseNet groups.

I use free.teranews.com for news groups it works if you don't download
massive amounts of graphics. I have never used my free daily allotment
of band width.

George

--
Support Communism

SHOP

Walmart
Old September 7th 09, 04:30 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
George D[_5_]

George D wrote:
mazorj wrote:
I see that we have a fair number of participants who post under a
Verizon account. In case you hadn't heard, this reprint of a Verizon
announcement was on one of the 0.verizon newsgroups. Their bean
counters have dropped the other shoe. We no longer will be able to
get rcc or any other UseNet groups using the Verizon newsgroups
service. Follow the link to a site where you can find an alternative
method to get UseNet groups.

I use free.teranews.com for news groups it works if you don't download
massive amounts of graphics. I have never used my free daily allotment
of band width.

George

I forgot to mention there retention is very is good currently 113725
available messages on RCC. They also have ABPN oldest current message
there is 6-24-09 I guess we don't use that very much anymore.

George

--
Support Communism

SHOP

Walmart
Old September 7th 09, 11:02 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
mazorj

"George D" wrote in message
George D wrote:
mazorj wrote:
[...]

That's pretty good retention. I'll have to look into them. The
0.verizon.xxx newsgroups also have numerous recommendations for alternate
sources of Usenet.

--
Support Communism

SHOP

Walmart

Given that from your previous sig you seem to be a libertarian, as a WalMart
critic I'm not sure what to make of your sig here. I would have said
"Support Fascism". Which would be equally odious to either of us.

Old September 7th 09, 11:20 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
The Giant Brain

"mazorj" wrote in message

"George D" wrote in message
George D wrote:
mazorj wrote:
[...]

I believe he was referring to the inordinate amount of goods manufactured in
China purveyed by Wal-Mart.
Wal-Mart is capitalism brought to its logical conclusion.
It's a far cry from Fascism, IMO.

Old September 8th 09, 12:57 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
mazorj

"The Giant Brain" wrote in message

"mazorj" wrote in message

"George D" wrote in message
George D wrote:
mazorj wrote:
[...]

Got it. Thanks. Although the alternative argument, made by importers
such as WalMart, is that bringing the advantages of capitalism to the
people (recently the Soviets, and now the Chinese through trade)
eventually will cause the collapse of a communist regime. That's true
in theory, but in this case the cost is measured in American jobs.

I had written a more direct response about WalMart, but then deleted
it. I'm not in the mood right now to get a third WalMart War started
here.

- mazorj the Discrete

Ford dumps truck, SUV production DeserTBoB 8 Track Tapes 0 August 18th 06 04:25 PM
GM wises up, dumps Hummer DeserTBoB 8 Track Tapes 2 May 14th 06 02:55 PM
Usenet? so what Pens & Pencils 8 January 26th 05 07:32 AM
Is it a USENET Rule or Not???? Stu Hockey 2 May 9th 04 02:56 AM