ON-OFF Topic: backup to CD

Old January 5th 10, 02:20 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Tony Vella

Default ON-OFF Topic: backup to CD

About a year ago I was given 3 blank CDs to replace 3 I had lent. I
normally use Memorex but the ones I was given were Dollar Store specials by
the name of Rymex. I used one of them to back up several Excel spreadsheets
of stamp collections and an Access database of a music collection. The
other two I used for backup of translated documents. Fortunately I have all
that data on an external harddrive and on an off-site server.

I say fortunately because in little more than a year those 3 Dollar Store
CDs have bronzed and neither one of my computers or my external CD reader
will access them. I took them to an acquaintance at Future Shop and he
tried them on half a dozen different computers and NOTHING. For me, a good
lesson to learn: you get what you pay for. Luckily nothing has been lost.
Some of my Memorex (and Sony which I used to use prior to Memorex) are 8, 9,
10 years old and still in perfect shape.

I know I'm not the only one who backs up to CDs and thought this might be of
general interest.
--
Tony Vella
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada -- http://www.amedialuz.ca/

Old January 6th 10, 02:35 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
rodney

Sage advice Tony,
I use 2 x $99 external harddrives 1 stored in the house
the other, the shed, and use them altenately to Back up
every 2 months.

An example how a life's hobby can be lost in an instant.
March 1984
http://cjoint.com/data/bgeDLgQWms.htm

acknowledgement "philately from Australia Sept 1984"

Old January 7th 10, 10:57 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
rodney

Available:
Audio gadget locators
http://www.coolest-gadgets.com/search/key+locator

The easiest and cheapest way is attach it to a large cardboard tag.
I have mine attached to "Cat-Dog" a cuddly toy.

I reckon using a thumb drive as a backup source is frought with danger.
If a user trys to open a file from the thumb drive, you can corrupt the drive
in a flash.
Be warned.

"Ralphael1"
I've already lost one and I couldn't figure out where. They should have a
mean to locate them, for example acoustically :-)
Victor Manta

The lanyard does help me keep tabs on my thumb drive, even if it is
not around my neck.

Ralph

Old January 7th 10, 06:16 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Victor Manta

Not bad as idea!

Just a bit too expensive ($60) for using with a memory thumb, and I haven't
found out yet how to locate the transmitter itself :-)

--
Victor

Old January 7th 10, 06:57 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Blair (TC)

On Jan 6, 8:43*pm, "Victor Manta" wrote:
"Ralphael1" wrote in message

On Jan 6, 12:07 am, "Victor Manta" wrote:

"Tony Vella" wrote in message

m...

About a year ago I was given 3 blank CDs to replace 3 I had lent. I
normally use Memorex but the ones I was given were Dollar Store specials
by the name of Rymex. I used one of them to back up several Excel
spreadsheets of stamp collections and an Access database of a music
collection. The other two I used for backup of translated documents.
Fortunately I have all that data on an external harddrive and on an
off-site server.

On Dropbox one can store, sync and share for free 2GB of data.

https://www.dropbox.com/tour

2 GB is for example more than sufficient to store all my websites and
their
amplification for the predicable future.

Personally I prefer the thumb drives as data storage.

Ralph

I've already lost one and I couldn't figure out where. They should have a
mean to locate them, for example acoustically :-)

--
Victor Manta

I know...

(1) Attach thumb drive to your dog's collar.
(2) Whistle.
(3) It will come to you.

LOL

Blair
Old January 7th 10, 09:31 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Ralphael1

On Jan 7, 1:16*pm, "Victor Manta" wrote:
[...]

Ralph- Hide quoted text -

$60 for a thumb drive???
What are you looking at a 320GB model or a platinum plated one?
I just bought a 4GB on sale for $12.

Ralph
Old January 7th 10, 10:22 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
rodney

"Victor Manta"
It is the audio gadget that costs $60, and therefore it is to expensive for securing a thumb drive.

An error in perspective?
It is not the thumbdrive that holds the value,
but the information therein.
rodney

Old January 8th 10, 04:19 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Victor Manta

"rodney" pookiethai@NOSPAM iprimus.com.au wrote in message

"Victor Manta"
It is the audio gadget that costs $60, and therefore it is to expensive
for securing a thumb drive.

An error in perspective?
It is not the thumbdrive that holds the value,
but the information therein.
rodney

One gets cheaper a second (and more) backup thumb drive.

--
Victor

Old January 8th 10, 11:42 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Ralphael1

On Jan 7, 6:32*pm, Sir F. A. Rien wrote:
Ralphael1 found these unused words:

[...]

Probably the "IronBox", ne that's supposed to be completely protected and
indestructable. Yeah, and swamp land in Floriduh ...- Hide quoted text -

My pet alligator swallowed my first thumb drive. G

Ralph

Performer Grand II Memory Backup? Thunder Juke Boxes 6 May 18th 12 04:37 AM
Almost on topic Longnine009 Coins 0 September 19th 08 04:32 PM
Of Topic [email protected] Autographs 0 April 5th 05 02:53 AM
New topic... artbellfan8 Books 0 January 5th 05 01:37 AM
off topic Mark S. Autographs 0 October 2nd 04 05:11 PM