Coinage of Argentina

Old August 10th 03, 11:25 PM
Larry Louks

Default Coinage of Argentina

Hi Friends,

I recently bought a big bunch of world coins at a low price in an auction. I
know very little about such things, so just today I checked out a huge book
on world coins at the library. I'm enjoying the learning of numerous
factoids about some of these coins.

The book that I have appears to go back only to 1900. I have three Argentine
coins here that I hope to find something out about. Two of them, dated 1885
and 1893, are dark bronze colored, about the size of a US half dollar. The
obverse has a woman's head with the words "LIBERTAD DOS CENTAVOS" on it.
The reverse has some sort of strange design with the words REPUBLICA
ARGENTINA around the rim. The third coin is about the size of a US quarter,
dated 1893. It's just like the two larger coins, except it is UN CENTAVO.
They are all three in pretty decent shape. Any insight you can offer is
appreciated.

-=LDL

Old August 11th 03, 06:50 AM
Byron L. Reed

On Sun, 10 Aug 2003 22:25:26 GMT, "Larry Louks"
wrote:

The book that I have appears to go back only to 1900.

Any insight you can offer is
appreciated.

I've noticed this a lot at local libraries. Years ago when Krause was
published as one yearly volume, many libraries needlessly ordered a new
copy every year. When that same title became only 20th century coins the
libraries did not notice the difference because they are not coin people.

When you return to the library, ask to talk to the person in charge of
aquisition and make them aware of the other volumes. If they balk at the
prices, let them know that they only need to rotate current book once every
few years. My last Krause lasted about 15 years and most of the values
were the same in the new volume.

BLReed

Remove the "R_E_M_O_V_E" from the email address to reply directly.
Cool things: http://www.byronreed.com/byrons_collections/default.htm
Talk bust coins: http://www.byronreed.com/phpBB2/index.php