Rowe R-92 Lamp Control Board Schematic

Old March 26th 08, 01:43 PM posted to alt.collecting.juke-boxes
elkridge pinball

Default Rowe R-92 Lamp Control Board Schematic

Looking for the schematic or component layout for an Rowe R-92 Lamp
Control Board (40821201).

I need to make some repairs and the manual only shows a picture of
one. It appears a light fixture shorted out at one time and someone
tried to "repair" the board, with no luck. Ihave located the light
issue, now I need to repair the board.

Any help is appreciated.
Old March 26th 08, 05:07 PM posted to alt.collecting.juke-boxes
Ken Layton

On Mar 26, 5:43*am, elkridge pinball wrote:
Looking for the schematic or component layout for an Rowe R-92 Lamp
Control Board (40821201).

You'd want the "Shop Service Manual" which comes in a brown flexible
plastic 3 ring binder. It has at least 50 double sided 11" x 17" full
size schematics, parts lists, and board layouts for every unit in the
R92. You can still buy these through a Rowe distributor. Just say you
want the "R-92 Shop Service Manual". Make sure they do not confuse it
with the usual field service manual and field parts manuals. This one
specifically says _SHOP_ manual.

I have the R90 Shop service manual, but the light controller schematic
is not the same part number that you mention.

Old March 26th 08, 05:52 PM posted to alt.collecting.juke-boxes
elkridge pinball

On Mar 26, 12:07*pm, Ken Layton wrote:
On Mar 26, 5:43*am, elkridge pinball wrote:

Looking for the schematic or component layout for an Rowe R-92 Lamp
Control Board (40821201).

You'd want the "Shop Service Manual" which comes in a brown flexible
plastic 3 ring binder. It has at least 50 double sided 11" x 17" full
size schematics, parts lists, and board layouts for every unit in the
R92. You can still buy these through a Rowe distributor. Just say you
want the "R-92 Shop Service Manual". Make sure they do not confuse it
with the usual field service manual and field parts manuals. This one
specifically says _SHOP_ manual.

I have the R90 Shop service manual, but the light controller schematic
is not the same part number that you mention.

Ken,

Thanks for the help, let me double check that part number when I get
home tonight, I grabbed that one online so I might be wrong.

Thanks again,

Jay
Old March 27th 08, 05:20 AM posted to alt.collecting.juke-boxes
kreed

On Mar 26, 10:43 pm, elkridge pinball wrote:
Looking for the schematic or component layout for an Rowe R-92 Lamp
Control Board (40821201).

I need to make some repairs and the manual only shows a picture of
one. It appears a light fixture shorted out at one time and someone
tried to "repair" the board, with no luck. Ihave located the light
issue, now I need to repair the board.

Any help is appreciated.

Is this the one that drives the 15w 120v bulbs ?

If it is, be very very careful, as the entire circuit floats at mains
potential (transformerless). The logic voltage is derived from a large
chain of resistors forming a voltage divider

(I would give Rowe a 0/10 score for this design, as they could have
powered the logic from the 8vdc /28vdc bus throughout the machine
instead)

IIRC The bulbs are driven by an SCR with a parallel diode facing in
the opposite direction

The reverse diode allows the bulb to be on on for 50% of the mains
cycle (50% of the time) to act as a "poor mans dimmer", (very illegal
too by state electricity board regulations as this method allows DC to
flow in the system which will over time corrode earth stakes, metal
underground pipes etc, not to mention an annoying flicker in the
lights - at 50hz mains), while the SCR turns on the lamps for the
other 50% of the mains cycle (giving full brightness) as required by
the logic IC's to give the flashing effects to the beat of the music.

If there has been a short circuited lamp holder, check both the diode
and the SCR on that channel for damage, better still replace both of
them. Other parts of the board shouldn't be affected.

Again, and I repeat - BE CAREFUL, - the entire board is NOT isolated
from the mains supply, and any part of it (including the logic IC's
etc) can possibly be at mains potential and give you a nasty shock
(and probably do further damage) if you touch it when plugged into the
mains.

Also too, on many of these machines the red "crimp" terminals used in
mains lighting harness are starting to decompose and crumble away,
exposing bare mains wiring underneath. Sometimes just touching or
tapping them will make them disintegrate. I would strongly advise
removing these and replacing them to avoid the risk of electrocution
and more short circuits happening.
Old March 27th 08, 11:36 AM posted to alt.collecting.juke-boxes
elkridge pinball

On Mar 27, 12:20*am, kreed wrote:
[...]

Thanks for the great explanation, learned a bunch!!

The number on the board is 61022901, ckt bd assy - lamp control

I'm looking at the board now, I see an obvious burn mark on one side
of the 3 pin molex power plug (side opposite fuse) and a burn mark
across 3 of the resistors in the voltage divider network. Almost
looks like something may have shorted to the case at the resistors.

It also appears the 3 SCR's were replaced at one time, (bad solder
job!) and the fuse holder itself. No other obvious repairs.

Thanks again....
Old March 28th 08, 01:33 AM posted to alt.collecting.juke-boxes
elkridge pinball

Success, kind of!!!!!

Resoldered bad connections, and replace 2 diodes that were shorted,
plugged everything in and lights came on (at least the ones that are
there !!!!!

The lights do the flash to the music however, the are at half
brightness and go full when I move the selector switch, but never
flash.

Where does the brown/black wires go? I see the shielded pair goes to
the amp, but not sure on the other two???

Thanks kreed for the helpful inf!!!
Old March 28th 08, 02:26 AM posted to alt.collecting.juke-boxes
elkridge pinball

On Mar 27, 6:36*am, elkridge pinball wrote:
On Mar 27, 12:20*am, kreed wrote:

[...]

Thanks again....- Hide quoted text -

Thanks kreed for all your help and info. Resoldered a few connections
and replaced 2 diodes that were shorted and lights are on!

I cannot get them to flash to the music however, any suggestions?
Where do the controls wites offf P4 get conected?

Thanks
Old March 28th 08, 07:31 AM posted to alt.collecting.juke-boxes
kreed

On Mar 28, 10:33 am, elkridge pinball wrote:
Success, kind of!!!!!

Resoldered bad connections, and replace 2 diodes that were shorted,
plugged everything in and lights came on (at least the ones that are
there !!!!!

The lights do the flash to the music however, the are at half
brightness and go full when I move the selector switch, but never
flash.

Where does the brown/black wires go? I see the shielded pair goes to
the amp, but not sure on the other two???

Thanks kreed for the helpful inf!!!

I haven't seen one of these boards for some years, but based on the
typical setup rowe used for disco light control units in other models,
there is an orange/black that is for mute (tells the lamp control that
there is/isnt music playing and to go into the "attract mode" flash
mode) . its earth return would appear to be via the mains ground
(green/yel) or by the amp ground (via audio cable shield)

The brown-black is typically used by Rowe in their other models as the
+8vdc bus - direct from the power supply (before it gets to the on/off/
service switch assembly where it becomes a brown colour after the
switch).

if you mean a separate brown and black wire, the brown would likely be
the switched +8vdc and the black would be a ground (negative) wire.
This would simply provide power to the unit ?

There should also be a pot to adjust the flash sensitivity. With a
record playing, adjust this pot until the lights begin to flash to the
beat of the music. If someone in the past has fiddled round with the
unit, this pot has probably been altered too, stopping the lights from
flashing to the beat properly

Forgot to mention, all connections should be re soldered with a lead
based solder (Don't use the politically correct lead free rubbish).
Dry joints (particularly on backs of connectors) are a problem with
all rowe solid state PCBs that I have ever seen.

please double check all this info where possible before modifying
anything or assuming anything is safe. If you want more exact answers,
good resolution photos of the pcb (both sides) and outside of the unit
showing the plug and wire colours will help enormously. These can be
posted on a website and linked to here, or emailed direct to my email
as attatchments.

if you can post some detailed scans/pics of both sides of the board,
and of the plugs, I can assist further

Old March 28th 08, 05:14 PM posted to alt.collecting.juke-boxes
elkridge pinball

On Mar 28, 2:31*am, kreed wrote:
[...]

Is the flash cicuit affected by the load on the circuit, many of the
lamps are missing? I have ordered the proper colors but will not get
them until Monday? I picked up some white 11 watt lamps just to test
the circuits over the weekend.

Thanks for all the great information.
Old March 29th 08, 01:48 AM posted to alt.collecting.juke-boxes
kreed

On Mar 29, 2:14 am, elkridge pinball wrote:
On Mar 28, 2:31 am, kreed wrote:

[...]

the load shouldnt matter.