A collecting forum. CollectingBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » CollectingBanter forum » Collecting newsgroups » Juke Boxes
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

ROCK-OLA 494



 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old February 27th 19, 10:57 PM posted to alt.collecting.juke-boxes
[email protected]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 8
Default ROCK-OLA 494

How do you adjust the volume???
Ads
  #3  
Old February 28th 19, 11:57 PM posted to alt.collecting.juke-boxes
[email protected]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 8
Default ROCK-OLA 494

John thanks I found it earlier. I have another problem on this 494 I just finished up. The sound is very tinny. like it's out of phase or something. Like very high distorted treble. I tried different speakers with no change. Replaced the needle with a new good Shure. What are your thoughts on the cartridge being bad? It's wired correctly. If that's not the problem then the amp is going to need re-built. Your thoughts? Thanks!
  #5  
Old March 1st 19, 11:46 AM posted to alt.collecting.juke-boxes
[email protected]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 8
Default ROCK-OLA 494

Do you have a cap kit for a 54510-A amp?

  #7  
Old March 10th 19, 06:44 PM posted to alt.collecting.juke-boxes
Norman Macrae
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 4
Default ROCK-OLA 494

On Thursday, 28 February 2019 22:57:43 UTC, wrote:
John thanks I found it earlier. I have another problem on this 494 I just finished up. The sound is very tinny. like it's out of phase or something. Like very high distorted treble. I tried different speakers with no change.. Replaced the needle with a new good Shure. What are your thoughts on the cartridge being bad? It's wired correctly. If that's not the problem then the amp is going to need re-built. Your thoughts? Thanks!


It could well be out of phase, the cartridge in these should be wired out of phase like AMIs - when you say the cartridge is wired correctly, is that as per diagram?
  #8  
Old March 11th 19, 01:15 AM posted to alt.collecting.juke-boxes
[email protected]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 8
Default ROCK-OLA 494

On Sunday, March 10, 2019 at 1:44:51 PM UTC-4, Norman Macrae wrote:
On Thursday, 28 February 2019 22:57:43 UTC, wrote:
John thanks I found it earlier. I have another problem on this 494 I just finished up. The sound is very tinny. like it's out of phase or something. Like very high distorted treble. I tried different speakers with no change. Replaced the needle with a new good Shure. What are your thoughts on the cartridge being bad? It's wired correctly. If that's not the problem then the amp is going to need re-built. Your thoughts? Thanks!


It could well be out of phase, the cartridge in these should be wired out of phase like AMIs - when you say the cartridge is wired correctly, is that as per diagram?


I have an AMI as well and the cartridge is wired out of phase. On this Rock-Ola it's not wired out of phase as per the manual instructions. The amp needed re-built. It's all back together and sounds good now. Not as good as my AMI but as good as a Rock-Ola.
  #9  
Old March 11th 19, 10:49 AM posted to alt.collecting.juke-boxes
Norman Macrae
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 4
Default ROCK-OLA 494

On Monday, 11 March 2019 00:15:46 UTC, wrote:
On Sunday, March 10, 2019 at 1:44:51 PM UTC-4, Norman Macrae wrote:
On Thursday, 28 February 2019 22:57:43 UTC, wrote:
John thanks I found it earlier. I have another problem on this 494 I just finished up. The sound is very tinny. like it's out of phase or something. Like very high distorted treble. I tried different speakers with no change. Replaced the needle with a new good Shure. What are your thoughts on the cartridge being bad? It's wired correctly. If that's not the problem then the amp is going to need re-built. Your thoughts? Thanks!


It could well be out of phase, the cartridge in these should be wired out of phase like AMIs - when you say the cartridge is wired correctly, is that as per diagram?


I have an AMI as well and the cartridge is wired out of phase. On this Rock-Ola it's not wired out of phase as per the manual instructions. The amp needed re-built. It's all back together and sounds good now. Not as good as my AMI but as good as a Rock-Ola.


OK, the previous models (490 series) the cartridge is wired out of phase and the 12 inch loudspeakers sum the two output channels as per AMI. It's the same amp (54510-A) that's used, strange that Rock-Ola should change back. I must confess I don't have a 494 manual though.
  #10  
Old March 11th 19, 06:11 PM posted to alt.collecting.juke-boxes
[email protected]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 8
Default ROCK-OLA 494

On Monday, March 11, 2019 at 5:49:58 AM UTC-4, Norman Macrae wrote:
On Monday, 11 March 2019 00:15:46 UTC, wrote:
On Sunday, March 10, 2019 at 1:44:51 PM UTC-4, Norman Macrae wrote:
On Thursday, 28 February 2019 22:57:43 UTC, wrote:
John thanks I found it earlier. I have another problem on this 494 I just finished up. The sound is very tinny. like it's out of phase or something. Like very high distorted treble. I tried different speakers with no change. Replaced the needle with a new good Shure. What are your thoughts on the cartridge being bad? It's wired correctly. If that's not the problem then the amp is going to need re-built. Your thoughts? Thanks!

It could well be out of phase, the cartridge in these should be wired out of phase like AMIs - when you say the cartridge is wired correctly, is that as per diagram?


I have an AMI as well and the cartridge is wired out of phase. On this Rock-Ola it's not wired out of phase as per the manual instructions. The amp needed re-built. It's all back together and sounds good now. Not as good as my AMI but as good as a Rock-Ola.


OK, the previous models (490 series) the cartridge is wired out of phase and the 12 inch loudspeakers sum the two output channels as per AMI. It's the same amp (54510-A) that's used, strange that Rock-Ola should change back. I must confess I don't have a 494 manual though.


This box came with all the papers. Even the inspectors check list before it left the factory. When I was having sound problems I compared it to my AMI and thought I'd found the problem. Then I looked in the manual to double check and saw it was wired correctly not like the AMI. After the amp re-build it sounds good but my AMI sounds so much better.
 




Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Rock-Ola Model C-X "Rock" Wall Mount Problem Mark[_3_] Juke Boxes 2 February 11th 09 03:18 PM
FS: Rock-N-Roll "Rock Cards" "SuperStar MusiCards" Wax Boxes J.R. Sinclair Cards:- non-sport 0 May 15th 06 10:37 AM
lot of (43) HARD ROCK-CLASSIC ROCK-8track tapes-Ebay-$25 trippingtoo8track 8 Track Tapes 3 February 25th 05 07:33 PM
Trade a rock-ola cd-8 1015 for a 45 rpm verson of the rock-ola GHall88073 Juke Boxes 5 November 21st 04 07:06 PM
Non Rock-ola wallbox with a Rock-ola juke? Joe Blow Juke Boxes 1 May 2nd 04 09:52 PM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 02:56 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2019 CollectingBanter.
The comments are property of their posters.