M800 metal piston mechanism?

Old May 19th 05, 10:36 PM
Dave

Default M800 metal piston mechanism?

On 2005-05-19 14:03:43 -0700, (Johannes
Grubber) said:

I just read the mechanism inside of M800 and larger Pelikan pens is not
plastic (as in m200 for example) but metal (brass). Is this correct?
Does that mean higher quality?

Maybe psychologically - but there are no problems with the plastic ones.
If the plastic ones were breaking sometimes, then this could be
important - but they aren't.

(Perhaps if you build a plastic mechanism as big as the one in the
M1000 then it does break sometimes - maybe that's the reason for metal
mechanism on bigger pens. Or maybe the metal is there only to try to
justify the higher price - how much more can it really cost to make a
slightly bigger pen?)

But all the Pelikans work well and don't cause any problems; so if you
buy one, then judge by:
- the size of the pen compared to the size of your hand
- whether you will be carrying it around all the time
- your writing comfort
- the comfort of your bank account :-)

and don't worry about metal vs. plastic.

David

Old May 20th 05, 01:04 AM
Nancy Handy

Johannes Grubber wrote:
I just read the mechanism inside of M800 and larger Pelikan pens is not
plastic (as in m200 for example) but metal (brass). Is this correct?

Yes.
I have the m800 and prefer it over the other models. I prefer it, not
because of the size, I actually prefer the size of the 400 more, but the
brass mechanism in the piston makes it so much more quieter. It feels
like a better pen. It doesn't make that cheesy squeeky noise of the
plastic piston models. I hope they make a 400 with a brass piston
mechanism someday.

Nancy
Old May 20th 05, 04:29 AM
BL

Johannes Grubber wrote:
I just read the mechanism inside of M800 and
larger Pelikan pens is not plastic (as in m200
for example) but metal (brass). Is this correct?
Does that mean higher quality?

Dear Jo,
The answers to your questions are "no" and "no." The moving parts of all
Pelikan pistons, including the larger ones (the M800 and M1000) are made
of plastic. The housing which holds the moving parts in place and onto
which the plastic knob and gear inside the knob (also plastic) fit, is
made of brass. Here is a link to a picture of a disassembled Pelikan
M800 piston mechanism.

http://www.toad.net/~blandolf/personal/800-piston.html

As you can clearly see, everything except the housing (which does
absolutely nothing but hold the moving parts) is made of plastic.

Pelikan's reputation for quality was well established long before they
ever started using brass in the larger mechanisms. Think about it...
None of their pens from 1929 to the mid 1980s had any metal at all in
their pistons, yet they're admired for their quality and great
longevity.

I would not want Pelikan to start using brass in the smaller pens
because it would result in a price increase without any increase in
quality or function. It would also add to the weight of those pens, and
I like lighter-weight pens.

Hope this helps.

Old May 20th 05, 04:31 AM
BL

Johannes Grubber wrote:

Oops. I just read only the hull is made of
brass, the mechanics of the M800 and M1000 is
still plastic. :|

Oops here too. I should have read this before posting a response to your
first query. -- B

Old May 20th 05, 01:58 PM
Kenneth D. Schillinger

I agree Nancy,
The extra heft of the brass filling mechanism does give the M 800 a feeling
of quality. Unfortunately, it also lends itself to fatiguing the hand on
longer writings. I just don't think the extra weight is desirable.
Just my .2¢
Ken

--
All incoming and outgoing mail scanned using Norton Anti Virus, by the
shores of beautiful Puget Sound.
"Nancy Handy" wrote in message
.. .

Old May 21st 05, 02:42 AM
Earl Camembert

On Fri, 20 May 2005 03:31:00 GMT, "BL" wrote:

Johannes Grubber wrote:

Oops. I just read only the hull is made of
brass, the mechanics of the M800 and M1000 is
still plastic. :|

Oops here too. I should have read this before posting a response to your
first query. -- B

That is not important. What is important is what are you wearing?

FS - 96/97 METAL UNIVERSE dogger Hockey 0 July 19th 04 09:29 AM
FS - 96/97 METAL UNIVERSE Singles LD19612003 Hockey 0 April 13th 04 10:17 AM
FS - Hockey cards Dogger Hockey 0 February 26th 04 01:05 PM
FS - This stuff needs to go Dogger Hockey 0 February 6th 04 08:49 PM
FS - Dogger Hockey 0 January 25th 04 10:43 PM