(RCSD) World Wide Post ?

Old August 23rd 07, 03:05 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Pierre COURTIADE[_4_]

Default (RCSD) World Wide Post ?

Everybody knows the World Wide Web.

A few days ago, when receiving the last issue of the 'American
Philatelist' magazine, I noted this amusing label :

http://cjoint.com/?ixd0kckT7d

I thus realized that the snail mail does not necessarily take the
simplest way to get through.

From the US to France it travels through New Zealand and the company
seems to be a NZ subsidiary of the Belgian Post ???

Please note also the "Direct" mention on the label :-)

--
All the best,
Pierre Courtiade

Old August 23rd 07, 07:56 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Rod

On Aug 23, 10:05 am, "Pierre COURTIADE"

From the US to France it travels through New Zealand and the company seems to be a NZ subsidiary of the Belgian Post ???

G'day Pierre, (E.T. Phone home

Is this an "ETOE" ?
trying to understand this, makes my head hurt

List of codes of Extraterritorial offices of exchange

The Bucharest Congress succeeded in establishing a UPU policy on
extraterritorial offices of exchange. Congress recognized that "an
extraterritorial office of exchange (ETOE) is defined as an office or
facility operated by or in connection with a postal operator outside
its national territory, on the territory of another country, and that
these offices are established by postal operators for commercial
purposes to draw business in markets outside their own national
territory".

The details can be found in resolution C 44/Bucharest 2004 (see link
below), wherein it is clearly established that items sent from ETOEs
are considered as commercial items not subject to the Acts of the UPU,
unless the destination country provides otherwise. Destination postal
administrations have the possibility of applying their own policies
with respect to the acceptance of ETOE items, either under domestic
rates or under terminal dues rates. Member countries must announce
their policy to all other UPU members. The International Bureau
publishes member policies based on the answers to the questionnaire
below.

Old August 23rd 07, 12:53 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Ralphael1

On Aug 22, 10:05?pm, "Pierre COURTIADE" wrote:
Everybody knows the World Wide Web.

A few days ago, when receiving the last issue of the 'American
Philatelist' magazine, I noted this amusing label :

http://cjoint.com/?ixd0kckT7d

I thus realized that the snail mail does not necessarily take the
simplest way to get through.

From the US to France it travels through New Zealand and the company
seems to be a NZ subsidiary of the Belgian Post ???

Please note also the "Direct" mention on the label :-)

--
All the best,
Pierre Courtiade

Greetings Pierre.
You are speaking of the 2006 issue aren't you?

Ralphael, the OLD one

Old August 23rd 07, 12:54 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Blair (TC)

On Aug 23, 2:56 am, Rod wrote:
On Aug 23, 10:05 am, "Pierre COURTIADE"

From the US to France it travels through New Zealand and the company seems to be a NZ subsidiary of the Belgian Post ???

G'day Pierre, (E.T. Phone home

Is this an "ETOE" ?
trying to understand this, makes my head hurt

List of codes of Extraterritorial offices of exchange

[...]

Until the 1980's there had been little change in the international
mail
market for over 100 years. Then private operators played the Terminal
Dues arbitrage card and offered international mailers cheaper rates.
Remail was born.

In the 1990's forward looking postal administrations began looking
outside of their national boundaries as they attempted to attract
volume from the Express market outside of the confines of the
Universal postal Union (UPU).

The UPU was split on this issue and, at the same time, most
European postal administrations were fighting a rearguard action
against the demands of the European Commission for fair and
transparent postal competition within the European Union.

In the United States magazine publishers found they could better
(and more cheaply) serve their overseas customers by using
airlines to make direct injection of their products into the postal
administration of the country of delivery. Direct Access was born.

In Europe the REIMS Terminal Dues negotiations rumbled (and
still rumble) on. The UPU is still debating the issue and cannot
reach consensus.

As timescales for agreement on Terminal Dues, competition,
liberalisation and customer service slip further and further back,
a number of different types of Extra Territorial Office of Exchange
(ETOEs) have exploded onto the market - all able to offer cheaper
rates for the same, if not better, Quality of Service than that
available from the domestic administration.

Since 11th September 2001, and the aftermath of the anthrax
scare in USA, postal security is paramount. But can all the
ETOEs of the varying size and types provide security to the
required level without compromising Quality of Service?

Postal Administrations have no global consensus on Terminal
Dues, or on ETOEs. Customers are confused. Meanwhile
forward-looking operators are providing the services that their
customers seek.

The questions to be answered a

What is the future of international mail?
Will ETOEs survive?
Will arbitrage continue to be leveraged?
Can the UPU reach consensus, or will it wither on the vine?
Will postal administrations really support their customers'
needs, or
Will they continue to procrastinate as the winds of
competitive change blow around them?

Blair

Old August 23rd 07, 01:08 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Blair (TC)

On Aug 23, 7:54 am, "Blair (TC)" wrote:
On Aug 23, 2:56 am, Rod wrote:

On Aug 23, 10:05 am, "Pierre COURTIADE"

From the US to France it travels through New Zealand and the company seems to be a NZ subsidiary of the Belgian Post ???

G'day Pierre, (E.T. Phone home

Is this an "ETOE" ?
trying to understand this, makes my head hurt

List of codes of Extraterritorial offices of exchange

[...]

Blair- Hide quoted text -

ADDENDUM
http://www.upu.int/etoe/en/responses...e_etoes_en.pdf

Old August 23rd 07, 02:12 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Rod

On Aug 23, 7:54 pm, "Blair (TC)"

In the United States magazine publishers found they could better (and more cheaply) serve their overseas customers by using airlines to make direct injection of their products into the postal administration of the country of delivery. Direct Access was born.

Thanks for the in depth explanation Blair,
I think the above paragraph helped,
(but my head still hurts

I raised a direct mail question some time ago here
but had no replies, I think I recall a NZ company
issueing direct mail stamps which were eventually banned
by the govt.

I still don't understand, in Pierre's case, why magazines
fall outside the UPU's jurisdiction.

To make matters more confusing, are you able to comment
on the "direct mail emblem" Romania SG2697 2002
8000 Lei ? and how that fits in under the topic of discussion?
(I have not seen an image, just have it my database)

Rodney

Old August 23rd 07, 05:36 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Blair (TC)

On Aug 23, 9:12 am, Rod wrote:
On Aug 23, 7:54 pm, "Blair (TC)"

[...]

Hi Rodney:

Did you check the NZ response to the UPUs questionnaire
at the link that I posted?
http://www.upu.int/etoe/en/responses...e_etoes_en.pdf

NZ national legislation neither prohibits nor regulates the
establishment of ETOEs. Further, NO permission is required
to establish an ETOE in NZ.

Blair

Old August 24th 07, 01:54 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Rod

On Aug 24, 12:36 am, "Blair (TC)" wrote:
On Aug 23, 9:12 am, Rod wrote:

NZ national legislation neither prohibits nor regulates the
establishment of ETOEs. Further, NO permission is required
to establish an ETOE in NZ.

Yes, I did, from what I recall, NZ banned the use of the company's
label or stamp, not the procedure.
This is where I lose all this, I cannot see how a country fiscally
accounts for the injection of material.
How it recognises the prepayment of service has been
duly accounted for.
I am going to do some serious reading on this topic.

The aspect of insurance also raises it's head.

It would be interesting to know just how much better off
a client would be, using for example, Stanley Gibbons
Monthly arriving in Australia.

I remember seeing SG catalogues arriving in the 70's
(c14 tonnes) you can imagine the difference,
individually mailed
Rodney.

Old August 24th 07, 08:31 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Pierre COURTIADE[_4_]

Ralphael1 wrote :

Greetings Pierre.
You are speaking of the 2006 issue aren't you?

Ralphael, the OLD one

Hello Ralph !

Not at all : it is the August 2007 issue.

BTW, I am still in the process of reading and trying to understand all
the data kindly published by Rod and Blair.
I already had ten aspirins and I desperately need some additional ones
:-)))
I'll continue to read these UPU regulations as soon as the chemists shop
opens tomorrow morning ;-)

--
All the best,
Pierre Courtiade

FS: World-Wide Covers TL Marketplace 0 February 5th 07 04:16 AM
FA: Huge World wide lot [email protected] Marketplace 0 April 11th 06 02:01 PM
FA: World Wide sorters lot! [email protected] Marketplace 0 June 5th 05 03:44 PM
World-Wide Airmails Airmail Collector General Discussion 5 April 28th 05 10:29 AM