Tech: Rowe R-83

Old October 7th 03, 02:43 AM
TMcderm653

Default Tech: Rowe R-83

Working on a Rowe r-83 the right channel output transistors are out.
MJE 6041
MJE 6044
Crossed with NTE and they are obselete.
Anyone know of different transistors that will work?

Thanks in advance
Todd
Old October 16th 03, 03:42 AM
Crazy George

You may get a more complete answer on one of the sci.repair NGs, but here
are a couple of hints. I think those were Motorola Darlington transistors
in a proprietary package. Darlingtons have fallen out of favor, but are
simple combinations of two transistors to increase gain in one package. We
used to make our own out of a small signal transistor and a power
transistor. See any elementary transistor text for details. Second, many
of the products in that package were also available in more common (like
TO-3) packages. Unfortunately, at this juncture, you need a tech who is up
with both current and old technology to develop a list of possible
substitutes. I cannot find those original numbers in my very old Motorola
manual, but they may show up somewhere else on the 'net. Once you find the
specs on those devices, then it is a matter of using device selection charts
to find an electrically equivalent device, and then figure out how to
accommodate the different package.

--
Crazy George
Remove N O and S P A M imbedded in return address