Ode to an owl

Old January 28th 04, 08:37 PM
The Fausts

Default Ode to an owl

My RCC attendance and attention span have suffered due to recent events
(including holidays, vacation, work, and expecting child #1), but finally
something happened to me that seems numismatically worth talking about.

I've wanted an old-style Athenian owl tetradrachm for years. Years, I tell
you! My coin budget has never been at a level that would allow me to get one
in respectable condition, so I finally broke down and bought the best I
could from VCoins without spending enough to trigger a self-inflicted guilt
trip.

http://tinyurl.com/2cncj
http://tinyurl.com/3yjhs

Poor thing has had a rough life, but the sense of history it exudes makes it
my favorite coin in my collection!

Eric

Old January 28th 04, 08:51 PM
Ankaaz

Eric wrote:

"My RCC attendance and attention span have suffered due to recent events
(including holidays, vacation, work, and expecting child #1), but finally
something happened to me that seems numismatically worth talking about.

I've wanted an old-style Athenian owl tetradrachm for years. Years, I tell you!
My coin budget has never been at a level that would allow me to get one in
respectable condition, so I finally broke down and bought the best I could from
VCoins without spending enough to trigger a self-inflicted guilt trip.

http://tinyurl.com/2cncj
http://tinyurl.com/3yjhs

Poor thing has had a rough life, but the sense of history it exudes makes it my
favorite coin in my collection!"

Congratulations on your new bundle of joy!

;-)

Anka
Old January 28th 04, 08:57 PM
Edward McGrath

Congrats on your ancient owl purchase. I can tell the owl had a rough
life by the scars it bares. I mean the test cuts : )

Old January 29th 04, 03:25 AM
Robert A. DeRose, Jr.

"The Fausts"

http://tinyurl.com/2cncj
http://tinyurl.com/3yjhs

Poor thing has had a rough life, but the sense of history it exudes makes it
my favorite coin in my collection!

Eric

(cue Christina Aguilera)
"We are beautiful, no matter what they say
Yes words can't bring me down
We are beautiful..."

Congrats on the coin! Any coin that is significant to its collector
is a beautiful coin.

-Robert A. DeRose, Jr.
Old January 29th 04, 03:51 AM
George D

The Fausts wrote:
My RCC attendance and attention span have suffered due to recent events
(including holidays, vacation, work, and expecting child #1), but finally
something happened to me that seems numismatically worth talking about.

I've wanted an old-style Athenian owl tetradrachm for years. Years, I tell
you! My coin budget has never been at a level that would allow me to get one
in respectable condition, so I finally broke down and bought the best I
could from VCoins without spending enough to trigger a self-inflicted guilt
trip.

http://tinyurl.com/2cncj
http://tinyurl.com/3yjhs

Poor thing has had a rough life, but the sense of history it exudes makes it
my favorite coin in my collection!

Eric

Welcome back you have been missed.

--
George D
Phoenix, AZ

Please use this address to mail me. Or remove the arizona in the link.
Remember there is no Arizona.

ALL emails incoming and outgoing are run thru Norton and AVG anti virus.

Old January 29th 04, 05:01 AM
Reid Goldsborough

"The Fausts" wrote in message igy.com...

http://tinyurl.com/2cncj
http://tinyurl.com/3yjhs

Poor thing has had a rough life, but the sense of history it exudes makes it
my favorite coin in my collection!

Classical Owls like this are THE ancient coin to have if you're going
to have just one. But now you need to buy an Archaic Owl, an
Intermediate Style Owl, and a New Style Owl to complete your Owl
tetradrachm set. g Or not.

I agree that coins like this have character. They've *been* places.

--

Email: (delete "remove this")

Coin Collecting: Consumer Protection Guide:
http://rg.ancients.info/guide
Glomming: Coin Connoisseurship: http://rg.ancients.info/glom
Bogos: Counterfeit Coins: http://rg.ancients.info/bogos
Old January 30th 04, 02:07 AM
The Fausts

"George D" wrote in message
The Fausts wrote:
My RCC attendance and attention span have suffered due to recent events
(including holidays, vacation, work, and expecting child #1), but

finally
something happened to me that seems numismatically worth talking about.

Welcome back you have been missed.

--
George D

Thank you! I didn't think I posted here often enough for anyone to notice my
absence.

Eric

Old January 30th 04, 02:10 AM
The Fausts

"Reid Goldsborough" wrote in message
om...
"The Fausts" wrote in message

igy.com...

http://tinyurl.com/2cncj
http://tinyurl.com/3yjhs

Poor thing has had a rough life, but the sense of history it exudes

makes it
my favorite coin in my collection!

Classical Owls like this are THE ancient coin to have if you're going
to have just one. But now you need to buy an Archaic Owl, an
Intermediate Style Owl, and a New Style Owl to complete your Owl
tetradrachm set. g Or not.

I agree that coins like this have character. They've *been* places.

I am sure I will give my Owl some more Owls to keep it company, but it might
have to wait a decade or two for a full set. Well, it's pushing 2,500 years
old, what's a few years of waiting to this coin?

Eric

Old January 30th 04, 02:21 AM
The Fausts

"Ankaaz" wrote in message
Eric wrote:

[...]

Thank you... for whichever bundle of joy you are congratulating me on (both?
.
Actually, I think you helped edge me towards this purchase many months ago
when you posted your owl tet. Yours, I recall, was rather less abused than
mine!

Eric

Old January 30th 04, 02:01 PM
Ankaaz

Eric wrote:

"Thank you... for whichever bundle of joy you are congratulating me on (both?
.
Actually, I think you helped edge me towards this purchase many months ago
when you posted your owl tet. Yours, I recall, was rather less abused than
mine!"

The congratulations referred to the baby, but I suppose you could apply it to
the coin too!

I'm glad I was in some small way responsible for your purchase. It's a great
coin in spite of (or should I say because of...) its wear. And there's a lot
of character in those test cuts.

I just received a couple of coins from Thom Bray. Some would call them
"abused," but to my mind, they are exquisite. Behold... Sestertii of
Faustinas Senior and Junior! Quite a nice match. In fact, if it weren't for
their hefty weight, I would make them into earrings. ;-)

http://bargain.romancoin.com/bargainpics/1484.jpg
http://bargain.romancoin.com/bargainpics/10.3.jpg

Anka