Is this considered spamming?

Old August 7th 03, 06:17 AM
Slapshot

Default Is this considered spamming?

Jeffrey King wrote:

In the past two months I've left roughly 175 feedback, but only recieved a
total of about 75. In an attempt to remedy I'm considering sending out an
email to those of my customers who have not left feedback basically as a
follow up to thier purchase to be sure they were completely satisfied with
what they recieved. And in the same email letting them know that I had left
them positive feedback.
I read a post earlier by someone who decided to send out emails to past
customers when they put up new auctions and the consensus seemed to be that
this was spamming. In my letters I have no intentions of attempting to sell
anything else. My goal is to not only gain feedback but also to stay in
touch with past customers that I have heard nothing back from.

Would this be considered spamming or at the very least too forward?

If its unsolicited email, its spam, and ebay can (and should) cancel
your account.
Old August 7th 03, 07:44 AM
MindElec

On Thu, 7 Aug 2003 15:33:06 +1000, "A.Gent"
declared:

"Slapshot" wrote in message
Jeffrey King wrote:

[...]

Rubbish.
Its an honest enquiry to an individual about a completed transaction.
Perfectly acceptable.

IOW, If a seller emails a customer with a legitimate question, it isn't
spam.

(Someone's shorts chafing ?)

it's acceptable, but not wise.

instead include something like "I give feedback on all transactions,
please do me the same courtesy. " in your EOA mail and leave it at
that. i've left 4258 and gotten 2965 using that method.

robert

"I've been long, a long way from here
Put on a poncho, played for mosquitos,
And drank til I was thirsty again
We went searching through thrift store jungles
Found Geronimo's rifle, Marilyn's shampoo
And Benny Goodman's corset and pen"
Old August 7th 03, 03:06 PM
Don Lancaster

"A.Gent" wrote:

Rubbish.
Its an honest enquiry to an individual about a completed transaction.
Perfectly acceptable.

Acceptable to who?
Certainly not to the recipient.

It is ABSOLUTELY GUARANTEED to eventually get you NARU's and blocked
from your ISP.
--
Many thanks,

Don Lancaster
Synergetics 3860 West First Street Box 809 Thatcher, AZ 85552
voice: (928)428-4073 email: fax 847-574-1462

Please visit my GURU's LAIR web site at
http://www.tinaja.com

Old August 7th 03, 03:20 PM
A.Gent

"Don Lancaster" wrote in message
"A.Gent" wrote:

Rubbish.
Its an honest enquiry to an individual about a completed transaction.
Perfectly acceptable.

Acceptable to who?
Certainly not to the recipient.

It is ABSOLUTELY GUARANTEED to eventually get you NARU's and blocked
from your ISP.

Asking a buyer to complete a transaction by leaving feedback?
"ABSOLUTELY GUARANTEED to eventually get you NARU's "
Surely you jest.

"blocked from your ISP" ?
My ISP isn't going to block me if I ask a buyer to leave feedback - after I
have left feedback.

Spam is unsolicited advertising.
The OP was referring (IIRC) to requests for feedback for completed
transactions.
That's not spam in any way, shape, form, colour or complexion.

Old August 7th 03, 03:39 PM
DONDI3

In article , Slapshot
writes:

Jeffrey King wrote:

[...]

No, it's not considered spamming. It may be an irritation to those who recieve
it, but you've a legitimate question about the service they rec'd from you and
you're simply inquiring about it.

OTOH, the above response, from an overly-reactive and easily offended
responder, indicates that you may not get the feedback you expect from your
email. That's the way Ebay is. Just as in the real world, there are those who
have agendas and those who may take unreasonable offense and even the most
polite inqury as to their failure to provide feedback. My daughter routinely
provides me with updates on what humourous items she's read recently. I do not
solicit those emails, but I enjoy them.

The downside, of course, is that whiners like the above may decide to leave
negative or neutral feedback instead of the positive you may feel you deserve.
Naturally, anyone who would do this would not be doing so according to ebay
feedback rules and could be subject to a followup negative feedback comment,
indicating their unsuitability for some ebay clients, so that others may know.

dondi3

DONDI enterprises. BUY, SELL, TRADE. RARE COINS & PRECIOUS METALS
Member COINNET, CSNS, ANA, INA, MOON, ILNA.
Old August 7th 03, 04:11 PM
Richard Ward

A.Gent wrote:

snip;
Spam is unsolicited advertising.
The OP was referring (IIRC) to requests for feedback for completed
transactions.
That's not spam in any way, shape, form, colour or complexion.

I'd agree on that much.

However, it's also offensive to a significant number of buyers, who
don't appreciate sellers begging them for feedback. People have been
known to express this displeasure by leaving negative feedback for the
sellers who do it.

If you sell a good product, ship it in a timely fashion, stand behind
what you sell, tell people when you ship, and leave good feedback for
your buyers, you'll get feedback. It may not come as fast as you'd
like, but you will get it. I never mention feedback to my buyers except
telling them I've left it for them when I tell them I've shipped, and I
get about 70% returned. However, I just got one yesterday from a bidder
who bought an item that closed on June 15 and shipped a few days later,
and I've gotten a number of them almost three months after the auction
was over. Fussing about it, fuming over it, worrying about leaving
positives for people who have never left you feedback, badgering people
for positives, all of these things generally fall under the definition
of counterproductive. For people who are just starting out it would be
nice if people would leave feedback more often, and leave feedback more
promptly, but if you don't worry about it the situation corrects itself.

Old August 7th 03, 04:19 PM
A.Gent

"Richard Ward" wrote in message
A.Gent wrote:

snip;
[...]

Oh heck! I agree 100%
I was just a little cranky with the poster who opined that emailing requests
for fb would be "ABSOLUTELY GUARANTEED" (sic) to get you NARUed and get you
bumped by your ISP!

Oh bum! I just realised I am crossposting. Sorry a.m.o.e. My last.

Old August 7th 03, 05:07 PM
DONDI3

In article , Richard Ward
writes:

If you sell a good product, ship it in a timely fashion, stand behind
what you sell, tell people when you ship,

LIke the responder to this original post, some would consider THAT spamming,
also.

Old August 7th 03, 05:15 PM
MindElec

On Fri, 8 Aug 2003 01:19:39 +1000, "A.Gent"
declared:

Oh heck! I agree 100%
I was just a little cranky with the poster who opined that emailing requests
for fb would be "ABSOLUTELY GUARANTEED" (sic) to get you NARUed and get you
bumped by your ISP!

don l's answers are always over the top!

;-)