Numismatic gloves??

Old August 3rd 03, 03:13 PM
Donald Tucker

Default Numismatic gloves??

I've been a lurker here and appreciate the vast amount of knowledge here. I
have a question that maybe you all can help with.

I bought a complete set of proofs and uncirculated sets, 1959 - 2003 and all
of the silver proof sets - 1992-2003. My plan is to break them out of the
sets and put them into Dansco albums, to have virtually complete sets of
everything from 1959 on.

I'm concerned about leaving fingerprints on these coins as I break them out
and put them into Dansco albums. I guess it's best to wear gloves when
doing this. Is that correct? Either that or use a piece of cloth when
touching the coins. Are there special numismatic gloves designed to be used
for this purpose? I tried tight fitting thin gloves one other time and found
that when I tried pressing the coin into the album, part of the glove would
always try to go in the hole with the coin. What are the best kind of gloves
to use for this and where do you get them? I thank you, and my
fingerprint-free coins will thank you!

Old August 3rd 03, 03:37 PM
Doggo

"Donald Tucker" wrote in message
[...]

After you've read the info that Jim provided for you, it's good to be
informed on a subject. Go here and purchase some.
http://www.brent-krueger.com/cleaners.html
Scroll down (under the Dellars darkener) and two kinds of gloves are
available.

Maybe I'm anal (OK, I am), but I use a pair for copper coins and one for
silver coins.

HTH,
Ed

Old August 3rd 03, 04:13 PM
Donald Tucker

Thanks all. I think I'll puchase a few of the BRENT-KRUEGER LG501MU extra
thin cotton gloves. Maybe those will be tight enough so as not to have the
cloth keep trying to go into the slot as I push the coins in. Thanks.

Old August 3rd 03, 04:20 PM
DFloyd

"Doggo" wrote in news:bgj6iv$pgdqb$1@ID-
164171.news.uni-berlin.de:

After you've read the info that Jim provided for you, it's good to be
informed on a subject. Go here and purchase some.
http://www.brent-krueger.com/cleaners.html
Scroll down (under the Dellars darkener) and two kinds of gloves are
available.

You can buy Dermatological Cotton Gloves at your local pharmacy. I can't
say if they are any more or less lint free relative to gloves sold as
numismatic cotton gloves.
Old August 3rd 03, 05:13 PM
ynotan

The glove issue has been covered, but unless you just want to display in a
Dansco for your personal reasons, I would also look @ an interceptshield
album. Im not certain, but there are people in this group far more
experienced than me [and please render your opinion], but I would think the
coins would hold more value kept as a proof set, vs breaking them out ??

--
Tony Hawley, PO BOX 15174, Portland,Oregon 97293-5174, E-mail :
, eBay ID: ynotan1, RCC - ID: ynotan, ANA # R-192172

Old August 3rd 03, 05:27 PM
Steve

I went to the local camera shop and purchased some cotton gloves that
are used for darkroom work. They work real well with keeping
fingerprints off the coins.

Steve

Old August 3rd 03, 05:28 PM
Donald Tucker

Good point. I'm also looking for opinions on whetehr to break them out. My
thinking is this: the sets, even from the late 50s and 60s are not very
expensive. With 1959 to the present, of the circulated sets, proof sets, and
silver proof sets, I'd have a complete set of Kennedy halves, the majority
of the Washington quarters, including all of the state quarters, and the
majority of the Roosevelt dimes and Jefferson nickels. Not to mention
complete sets of Sacagewea dollars and Anthony dollars (minus the rarer
varieites). And a nearly complete set of Ikes. Just the Kennedy halves set
sells for, what, $800 or so. I haven't looked at the going prices for these,
but I imagine the quarters set would go for maybe $500-600?? And the dimes
would be another $350 or so, at least?? Just that adds up to about what I'm
paying for the proof and mint sets. My feeling is that breaking them up and
putting them into albums would add to the value. Also, just because of the
visual experience, I'd prefer to have each coin together in their own
albums. I'm doing this by buying the proof and mint sets because this way I
know I'm getting original, nit cleaned or dipped, coins.

Old August 3rd 03, 08:15 PM

I also have proof/mint sets beginning 1950. I asked my dealer which way
to go because I also was considering breaking them up and putting them
in individual albums.

My dealer said NO. Keep the sets together instead of breaking them up.
The coins are worth more as a set than individually.

I have been dealing with him for years now and he's never led me astray.
And, he is not the only one to tell me to keep them together.

But, it is up to the individual on what to do and what will make you
happy.

bob