Coin World turns Trends into a separate monthly glossy magazine..

Old August 6th 03, 03:57 AM
Chrysta Wilson

In article ,
says...

Ahha!!.. Yes, that would proably explain how you did it without typing in
the ridiculously long code from the subscription label..

Are you using their Portfolio feature at all??..

I've got quite a few gripes about the way it works, if you ever care to
discuss them ..

Yes, I have. My main gripe with the way it works is probably something
other people like...the secure connection. I can see you wanting others
not to see your portfolio, but why does it have to be a secure connection
to even access trends? On dial up, it takes an eternity to do anything.
I'd like the option to turn that off. What's your gripe or gripes?

Chrysta
Old August 6th 03, 05:28 AM
Harv

"Chrysta Wilson" wrote in message

I've got quite a few gripes about the way it works, if you ever care to
discuss them ..

Yes, I have. My main gripe with the way it works is probably something
other people like...the secure connection. I can see you wanting others
not to see your portfolio, but why does it have to be a secure connection
to even access trends? On dial up, it takes an eternity to do anything.
I'd like the option to turn that off. What's your gripe or gripes?

Chrysta

Gripes::

a) No free form entry. If a coin in a grade is not in the database you can't
add it.
Try adding an MS67 Mercury Dime. Can't be done. Trends only goes up to MS65.

b) Colums are not wide enough. Add one of each of the three types of 1999-S
Proof Sets.
Add a 9 coin Silver Set. Add a 9 coin Clad Set. Add a five coin State
Quarters set.
They all show up in the "denomination" colum as "1999-S". The only way you
can tell which is which is by the prices.

c) Grouping. Even if you sort by denomination, if you have 20 different
dates of Proof Sets listed, they are not listed in any kind of chronological
order. You can't sort by date AND sub-sort by denomination. It's one or the
other.

d) Duplicates. You can add ten separate whatevers all in the same grade, but
they will appear as ten separate line items. If you have ten 1999-S Silver
Proof Sets, you have to go back and forth betwen the pulldowns on the left
and your Portfolio and add them ten separate times. They show up as ten
separate line items. It should allow you to add the multiple quantity to
begin with, not force you to add each one separately. And if you have
multiples of the exact same thing, it should show up as one line item with a
Quantity column and a total value for that Quantity. If you sell five of
them, it should let you go into that line item and remove five of them and
be left with five of them with the corrected total price..

Try those things. I'll stop there. Tell me what you think of my analysis..

Harv

Old August 6th 03, 10:01 PM
Harv

"WinWinscenario" wrote in message
I'm a trifle paranoid about putting my collection into a dB accessible by
dealers. My own Excel dB works just fine.

What makes you think Coin World online Portfolios are accessible by
dealers??..

Sellers just love to get hold of a collector's "want list." Putting your
collection dB into a commercial site could lead to the same thing, unless

the
integrity of the person who owns the site is unimpeachable. For me, it's

not
worth the risk. But that's just me.

Here's part of their privacy policy..

"Portfolios: Information collected here is for your use only. Coin World
will not look at your portfolios, nor share your information with anyone."

Old August 6th 03, 10:31 PM
SJCOHEN730

I'm a trifle paranoid about putting my collection into a dB accessible by
dealers. My own Excel dB works just fine.

What makes you think Coin World online Portfolios are accessible by
dealers??..

Harv, we all know people who are afraid that "Big Brother" is watching every
move they make. If you take reasonable precautions with your coin collecting
you will usually be OK. There is NO 100% guarantee about anything. Steve
Old August 7th 03, 12:09 AM
Harv

"SJCOHEN730" wrote in message
I'm a trifle paranoid about putting my collection into a dB accessible

by
dealers. My own Excel dB works just fine.

What makes you think Coin World online Portfolios are accessible by
dealers??..

Harv, we all know people who are afraid that "Big Brother" is watching

every
move they make. If you take reasonable precautions with your coin

collecting
you will usually be OK. There is NO 100% guarantee about anything. Steve

Agreed..

If you buy from dealers, and who doesn't, you will probably get their
emailed or physical advertising, often without requesting it, and most coin
dealers, even big coin dealers, are not monolithic companies like GM or AOL,
but they are small enough that you don't feel like you're dealing with a
faceless entity when you ask them to stop sending you the stuff.. Further,
if you don't buy from them again, they usually decide it's a waste of
postage to keep sending them to you, so they turn it off at the sorce.

However, I don't remember getting emailed or snailed advertising from any
dealers with whom I've _never_ done business. Do you? Do any of you?

I'll rephrase that so it's clearer for any of the slow readers out there. I
don't remember receiving any emailed or printed advertising from Dealer XYZ
if I have NEVER done any kind of business online with Dealer XYZ. I have
asked some dealers from whom I have bought to turn off the spew of ads and
they have done it.

Old August 7th 03, 12:51 AM
WinWinscenario

[...]

I've received lots of unsolicited ads from dealers I never do business with. I
recently got the CDs from B&M about their auctions, and I've never bought a B&M
coin. I also get Heritage solicitations, and I've never done business with
Heritage. It's common knowledge that commercial entities trade contact info.

I know that the CW people represent their site as secure, private, and above
reproach. I know they claim they don't have worms, spyware, or any other
intrusive software (other than the usual "cookies"?). I know they claim not to
be dealers, although Amos sells a ton of stuff to coin collectors. I also
know sites that have been hacked for credit card info et al.

Call me paranoid, say I'm afraid of Big Brother. For me, it's a comfort factor
that my numismatic holdings are not entrusted to a commercial site where
others--I don't know who--have access to it. I'm an AOL client, and I know
what it is like to have every keystroke I have ever made recorded by someone,
somewhere.

Regards,
Tom.
Old August 7th 03, 01:49 AM
Peter Irwin

Harv wrote:

However, I don't remember getting emailed or snailed advertising from any
dealers with whom I've _never_ done business. Do you? Do any of you?

Yes, shortly after one dealer sent a mailing with an open address
list by accident, I found myself on one dealer's list from whom I have
never bought coins and another who had dropped me from their list due to
a lack of business put me back on his list for a while.

I'm sure I could get myself removed just by asking, but I don't
mind getting lists of coins in my inbox. Given some of the spam
I get, a list of coins is positively welcome.

Peter.
---

Old August 7th 03, 04:16 AM
Chrysta Wilson

In article ,
says...

[...]

Probably the reason I didn't notice all these things was that I got
bored and irritable waiting for the pages to load on dial-up, so didn't
do much portfolioing. Incredibly tedious! I'll take your word.

Chrysta

FS: World Cup Soccer Items Jim Sinclair General 0 August 13th 03 08:34 AM
A coin I like but you probably won't Bill Krummel Coins 11 August 3rd 03 01:50 PM
Should I be worried about coin damage? Ron Coins 8 August 1st 03 03:38 AM
Help on telling repro Linda Coins 11 July 30th 03 02:03 AM
Value Guides Keith Tilley Coins 3 July 21st 03 07:50 AM