the NEW dollar coin...

Old February 18th 07, 11:28 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
The Gare

Default the NEW dollar coin...

I think that we should accept them whole-heartedly.

the bills we, the US'ers have are the same size. So what if the dollar coins
are slightly larger than the quarter. We have learned to LOOK at our money
before we spend it when it's paper money. Let's do the same for coins.

--
"I can remember a time
when man still searched

Old February 19th 07, 02:38 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Bruce Remick

"The Gare" wrote in message
ink.net...
I think that we should accept them whole-heartedly.

the bills we, the US'ers have are the same size. So what if the dollar
coins are slightly larger than the quarter. We have learned to LOOK at our
money before we spend it when it's paper money. Let's do the same for
coins.

I have always been willing to accept dollar coins whole-heartedly, from Ikes
on forward. I just was never given any in change. Actually, the one time I
would have refused a dollar coin was when silver dollars were still
available at face value. I preferred the dollar bill. Still do today, but
would never turn down a dollar coin.

Bruce

Old February 19th 07, 03:26 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
RWF

On Feb 18, 9:38 pm, "Bruce Remick" wrote:
"The Gare" wrote in message

ink.net...

I think that we should accept them whole-heartedly.

the bills we, the US'ers have are the same size. So what if the dollar
coins are slightly larger than the quarter. We have learned to LOOK at our
money before we spend it when it's paper money. Let's do the same for
coins.

I have always been willing to accept dollar coins whole-heartedly, from Ikes
on forward. I just was never given any in change. Actually, the one time I
would have refused a dollar coin was when silver dollars were still
available at face value. I preferred the dollar bill. Still do today, but
would never turn down a dollar coin.

Yeah but merchants hate them (and $2 bills and hal dollars) since
there's no place in the standard cash register drawer for them.
I don't mind using them, however they usually wind up in my piggy bank
at the end of the day to molder away for months on end.
Now if the USA did like Canada and stopped printing $1 bills, the
public would use the coins like 'em or not.

Old February 19th 07, 12:59 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Fred Shecter

Gee, the Safeway folks seem to have no problem giving them as change and they put them in
the empty slot in the tray next to the quarters. Oh wait, that slot is no longer
empty...it's being used for dollar coins as it was designed decades ago.

Go to your local Safeway in the coming days (some stores may not have gotten their cash
delivery for the week with the holiday weekend) and ask if they have Presidential Golden
Dollars (or "George Washington Dollar" coins, since that is what is written on the
wrappers).

In So. Cal. the Safeway stores are called "VONS".
http://shop.safeway.com/superstore/d...&page=corphome

-Fred Shecter
http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQfgtpZ1QQ...shreadv ector

http://www.sirius.com/

"RWF" wrote in message
ups.com...
On Feb 18, 9:38 pm, "Bruce Remick" wrote:

ink.net...

Old February 19th 07, 03:10 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Padraic Brown

On 18 Feb 2007 19:26:22 -0800, "RWF"
wrote:

On Feb 18, 9:38 pm, "Bruce Remick" wrote:
"The Gare" wrote in message

ink.net...

I think that we should accept them whole-heartedly.

the bills we, the US'ers have are the same size. So what if the dollar
coins are slightly larger than the quarter. We have learned to LOOK at our
money before we spend it when it's paper money. Let's do the same for
coins.

I have always been willing to accept dollar coins whole-heartedly, from Ikes
on forward. I just was never given any in change. Actually, the one time I
would have refused a dollar coin was when silver dollars were still
available at face value. I preferred the dollar bill. Still do today, but
would never turn down a dollar coin.

Yeah but merchants hate them (and $2 bills and hal dollars) since
there's no place in the standard cash register drawer for them.

This really is a red herring. I've noticed of late most merchants have
tills with five note slots, yet they only use three of them. $20 notes
and sometime $10 notes go under the tray and only ones and fives and
tens are used.

As far as coins are concerned, I've noticed a lot of cashiers throw
pennies and nickels together in one slot, and only separate dimes and
quarters.

There is _plenty_ of room for other coin and note denominations to be
used.

I don't mind using them, however they usually wind up in my piggy bank
at the end of the day to molder away for months on end.
Now if the USA did like Canada and stopped printing $1 bills, the
public would use the coins like 'em or not.

Of course. Point out the obvious yet again! I wonder if anyone from
the Mint / Treasury reads this NG? They would receive an education.

Padraic

Old February 19th 07, 06:08 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Bruce Farley

Fred Shecter wrote:
Gee, the Safeway folks seem to have no problem giving them as change and
they put them in the empty slot in the tray next to the quarters. Oh
wait, that slot is no longer empty...it's being used for dollar coins as
it was designed decades ago.

I think it was probably for 50 cent coins. As mentioned, the real
problem is in the bills section. No place for 2 dollar bills.

Old February 19th 07, 06:41 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Tony Clayton

In a recent message "RWF" wrote:

On Feb 18, 9:38 pm, "Bruce Remick" wrote:
"The Gare" wrote in message

ink.net...

I think that we should accept them whole-heartedly.

the bills we, the US'ers have are the same size. So what if the dollar
coins are slightly larger than the quarter. We have learned to LOOK at our
money before we spend it when it's paper money. Let's do the same for
coins.

I have always been willing to accept dollar coins whole-heartedly, from Ikes
on forward. I just was never given any in change. Actually, the one time I
would have refused a dollar coin was when silver dollars were still
available at face value. I preferred the dollar bill. Still do today, but
would never turn down a dollar coin.

Yeah but merchants hate them (and $2 bills and hal dollars) since
there's no place in the standard cash register drawer for them.

Why can't they put dollar coins in with the 1 dollar bills?

If they don't like them they can always give the coins in change as
a priority over bills.

--
Tony Clayton
Coins of the UK :
Old February 20th 07, 02:36 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
John DeBoo

e wrote:
In article , "Fred Shecter" wrote:

Gee, the Safeway folks seem to have no problem giving them as change and they
put them in
the empty slot in the tray next to the quarters. Oh wait, that slot is no
longer
empty...it's being used for dollar coins as it was designed decades ago.

Go to your local Safeway in the coming days (some stores may not have gotten
their cash
delivery for the week with the holiday weekend) and ask if they have
Presidential Golden
Dollars (or "George Washington Dollar" coins, since that is what is written on
the
wrappers).

In So. Cal. the Safeway stores are called "VONS".
http://shop.safeway.com/superstore/d...&page=corphome

-Fred Shecter
http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQfgtpZ1QQ...shreadv ector

in the desert, vons is called over priced. the one here has
no coins. but they sell grren peppers for $1 more than the
other stores. except for the pharmacy, i avoid the place.

I read where some guy named Arti and 2 other guys had a huge fight over
a dollar coin in a Safeway vegetable section. The headline was
"Arti-chokes 2 for a dollar at Safeway"...... :-) John

Old February 20th 07, 02:40 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
RWF

On Feb 19, 7:59 am, "Fred Shecter"
wrote:

In So. Cal. the Safeway stores are called "VONS".

And in this newsgroup I will call you "shvantz", wiseass!

Old February 20th 07, 02:53 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Jonathan_ATC

"Bruce Farley" wrote in message
. net...

Fred Shecter wrote:
Gee, the Safeway folks seem to have no problem giving them as change and
they put them in the empty slot in the tray next to the quarters. Oh
wait, that slot is no longer empty...it's being used for dollar coins as
it was designed decades ago.

I think it was probably for 50 cent coins. As mentioned, the real
problem is in the bills section. No place for 2 dollar bills.

The slot right next to the 20's is where the 2's go. Or in between the 1
and 5.

I can see you have never worked as a cashier. ;o)

Jonathan_ATC