Holed pocket change

Old February 8th 07, 04:49 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Reid Goldsborough

Default Holed pocket change

I'm building a wacky set of holed U.S. type coins that I can obtain
for under $10. I've gotten just about all of the older types I think
I'll be able to under these terms, with just one type left. But what
I'm missing are mostly holed pocked change, specifically these three
types:

* Holed Lincoln Memorial cent
* Holed Jefferson nickel
* Holed Susan B. Anthony dollar

My main criterion is that the hole has to have already been there, for
a purpose such as the coin having been used as jewelry, that the coin
can't have been holed just to create a holed (damaged) coin for a
holed coin set. So I don't hole coins myself and ask others not to for
me.

If anybody comes across one of the above three coin types that already
has a hole in it, you can rescue it from its dreary damaged existence
by elevating it to a collection of similar coins. The coin will feel
better surrounded by other coins that have gone through what it has
gone through. g

--

Email: (delete "remove this")

Consumer:
http://rg.ancients.info/guide
Connoisseur: http://rg.ancients.info/glom
Counterfeit: http://rg.ancients.info/bogos
Old February 10th 07, 04:31 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Stefano MacGregor

On Feb 8, 9:49 am, Reid Goldsborough
wrote:
I'm building a wacky set of holed U.S. type coins that I can obtain
for under $10. I've gotten just about all of the older types I think
I'll be able to under these terms, with just one type left. But what
I'm missing are mostly holed pocked change, specifically these three
types:

* Holed Lincoln Memorial cent
* Holed Jefferson nickel
* Holed Susan B. Anthony dollar

The devil, you say! I got one of those from the bank just the other
day, and was planning to just spend it in a vending machine.

Give me your address, and I'll send it to you.

--
Stefano

Old February 10th 07, 08:57 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
[email protected]

In article
.com,
says...
wrote:
I'm building a wacky set of holed U.S. type coins that I can obtain
for under $10. I've gotten just about all of the older types I think
I'll be able to under these terms, with just one type left. But what
I'm missing are mostly holed pocked change, specifically these three
types:

* Holed Lincoln Memorial cent
* Holed Jefferson nickel
* Holed Susan B. Anthony dollar

The devil, you say! I got one of those from the bank just the other
day, and was planning to just spend it in a vending machine.

Actually, I thought that modern holed items were intended for
vending machines.

The idea was (is?) to drill a hole in the coin (near the edge),
then tie a string in the hole. Then try to drop the coin partway
into the vending machine (or payphone) mechanism, just far enough
to register as being there. And then yank it back up by the
string.

Apparantly, there was an equivalent technique with some older
paper-to-coin change machines (tying a string to the paper
note/bill.)

No, I've never tried it, and I don't know if it really worked at
all.

Anyway, isn't that the standard reason for the modern American
ones? Or something else?

Yes, I imagine that old real-silver coins would attract people
taking a little slice for metal, and then spending the remains at
normal face value. But why modern ones, unless attempts at
vending machine fraud?

--
Want Freebies?
http://www.TheFreeStuffList.com/
Old February 10th 07, 11:20 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Sibirskmoneta

"Reid Goldsborough" wrote in message
[...]

Found the 1947-D, it was literally in the second to the last of 20 rolls I
had to search. Will post to you on Monday.

Old February 15th 07, 09:05 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Edwin Johnston

Reid Goldsborough wrote:
[...]

I picked up a holed 1972-D Kennedy today at the bank and posted a scan
to apbn.
Old February 16th 07, 05:26 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Reid Goldsborough

On Thu, 15 Feb 2007 15:05:22 -0600, Edwin Johnston
wrote:

I picked up a holed 1972-D Kennedy today at the bank and posted a scan
to apbn.

Cool coin. The holed Kennedy I got was from a local dealer's junk bin.
Not junk to me. g

Old February 16th 07, 06:20 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Michael G. Koerner

wrote:

I picked up a holed 1972-D Kennedy today at the bank and posted a scan
to apbn.

Cool coin. The holed Kennedy I got was from a local dealer's junk bin.
Not junk to me. g

I just surrendered a 'holey' SBA dollar to a Federal agent earlier today.

sigh...

--
___________________________________________ ____ _______________
Regards, | |\ ____
Michael G. Koerner May they | | | | | | rise again!
Appleton, Wisconsin USA | | | | | |
___________________________________________ | | | | | | _______________
Old February 16th 07, 06:58 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Tony Cooper

wrote:

I picked up a holed 1972-D Kennedy today at the bank and posted a scan
to apbn.

Cool coin. The holed Kennedy I got was from a local dealer's junk bin.
Not junk to me. g

I'm curious about this. You collect, among other things, circulated
modern coins with holes in them? I can't, for the life of me, see the
appeal. Not that I think that there's something wrong...I just can't
understand what it's all about.

I just searched eBay for "holed coins" and there are 15 listings. No
modern US coins, though. This one got me: http://tinyurl.com/3yhsad
He's started the bidding at $5.00, asking $2.00 for shipping, and
demands that insurance be added. Insurance!

There's another ad there for a holey religious token from Good News
Publishers. The ad states that the seller is a "conservative grader".
The same guy has a holed Mexican Peso graded VF-Details. Not only a
large hole, but a punch on one side and an eagle with its head worn
off on the other.

I'm gonna have to root through the junk box and see what I should
list. I may have treasures in there I didn't know I had.

I wish I was your neighbor, Reid. I'd drill holes in my pocket change
and drop a drilled quarter on the sidewalk for you to find. How else
could you make a fellow human being happy for two bits?

--

Tony Cooper
Orlando, FL
Old February 16th 07, 07:21 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
[email protected]

In article ,
says...

wrote:

[...]

As I posted before... My question is WHY would anybody
drill/punch a hole in a semi-modern coin?

The only ideas I can come up with are vending machine fraud (hold
it up by a string), and old real-silver (harvesting a bit for
metal, and then spending the main part at face.)

What other reasons do they have to happen???

Old February 16th 07, 08:26 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Edwin Johnston

wrote:
In article ,
says...

wrote:

[...]

Religious amulet.

Completely Off Topic Tony Cooper Coins 55 April 30th 06 05:36 AM
looking for pocket change Coins 2 February 17th 04 10:33 PM
Polly Pockets with Dolls & Other PP Items F S Sue from NY General 0 August 28th 03 05:54 PM
Polly Pockets with Dolls & Other PP Items FS Sue from NY Dolls 0 August 28th 03 05:51 PM
Polly Pockets Inside Assorted Items For Sale Sue from NY Dolls 0 August 8th 03 06:37 PM