the NEW dollar coin...

Old February 20th 07, 02:54 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Jonathan_ATC

Default the NEW dollar coin...

"RWF" wrote in message
ups.com...
Yeah but merchants hate them (and $2 bills and hal dollars) since
there's no place in the standard cash register drawer for them.
I don't mind using them, however they usually wind up in my piggy bank
at the end of the day to molder away for months on end.
Now if the USA did like Canada and stopped printing $1 bills, the
public would use the coins like 'em or not.

Where have you worked as a cashier? No place, I guess. 5 slots for bills.
5 slots for coins. You figger it out. ;o)

Jonathan_ATC

Old February 20th 07, 03:23 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Jorg Lueke

On Feb 18, 11:28 pm, "The Gare" wrote:
I think that we should accept them whole-heartedly.

the bills we, the US'ers have are the same size. So what if the dollar coins
are slightly larger than the quarter. We have learned to LOOK at our money
before we spend it when it's paper money. Let's do the same for coins.

I'll get them for a while if the Credit Union has them and use them
for tips.

Old February 20th 07, 04:59 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Jass

On Feb 19, 9:53 pm, "Jonathan_ATC" wrote:
"Bruce Farley" wrote in message

. net...

Fred Shecter wrote:
Gee, the Safeway folks seem to have no problem giving them as change and
they put them in the empty slot in the tray next to the quarters. Oh
wait, that slot is no longer empty...it's being used for dollar coins as
it was designed decades ago.

I think it was probably for 50 cent coins. As mentioned, the real
problem is in the bills section. No place for 2 dollar bills.

The slot right next to the 20's is where the 2's go. Or in between the 1
and 5.

I can see you have never worked as a cashier. ;o)

Jonathan_ATC

If your store takes 50 and 100 bills, theres no room for 2s...or even
the 100s.

1-5-10-20-50 Bills
1-5-10-25-100 Coins

Is the standard setup

Old February 20th 07, 04:35 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Jim Seymour

Jass wrote:
If your store takes 50 and 100 bills, theres no room for 2s...or even
the 100s.

1-5-10-20-50 Bills
1-5-10-25-100 Coins

Is the standard setup

I have never seen a store that puts 50's and 100's in the cash drawer.
They go under the drawer.

--
Jim Seymour
Old February 20th 07, 04:53 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
RWF

Fred Shecter wrote:
Gee, the Safeway folks seem to have no problem giving them as change and
they put them in the empty slot in the tray next to the quarters. Oh
wait, that slot is no longer empty...it's being used for dollar coins as
it was designed decades ago.

I think it was probably for 50 cent coins. As mentioned, the real
problem is in the bills section. No place for 2 dollar bills.

The slot right next to the 20's is where the 2's go. Or in between the 1
and 5.

I can see you have never worked as a cashier. ;o)

Jonathan_ATC

If your store takes 50 and 100 bills, theres no room for 2s...or even
the 100s.

1-5-10-20-50 Bills
1-5-10-25-100 Coins

Is the standard setup

Maybe on your planet but here on Earth USA, the cash drawers are
generally 1-5-10-20 for bills and 1-5-10-25-other (usually rolls of
coins, half dollars, and dollar coins). $2, $50 & $100 bills usually
go under the drawer.

At any rate, I picked up 10 of the new Washington dollars (all P mint)
today at my bank.
None better than MS65, usual bag marks and one was already starting to
tarnish.
The obverse is very ugly. It kind of reminds me of the tokens gas
stations used to give out when I was a kid.

Old February 20th 07, 06:23 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Reclining Buddha

On Mon, 19 Feb 2007 10:10:21 -0500, Padraic Brown
wrote:

This really is a red herring. I've noticed of late most merchants have
tills with five note slots, yet they only use three of them. $20 notes
and sometime $10 notes go under the tray and only ones and fives and
tens are used.

As far as coins are concerned, I've noticed a lot of cashiers throw
pennies and nickels together in one slot, and only separate dimes and
quarters.

Padraic

What type of stores do you shop at? Why would anyone mix 1 and 5
cents in a drawer unless they never used them?

Are these stores the subject of a lot of 'grabs' from the cash drawers
by thieves?

I live in an economically depressed area, and I have never seen 10's
or 20's placed under the till, except for times (Christmas) when the
drawers are over-flowing with cash.

Reclining Buddha

The Original Couch Potato!
Old February 20th 07, 06:56 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Michael G. Koerner

wrote:

This really is a red herring. I've noticed of late most merchants have
tills with five note slots, yet they only use three of them. $20 notes
and sometime $10 notes go under the tray and only ones and fives and
tens are used.

As far as coins are concerned, I've noticed a lot of cashiers throw
pennies and nickels together in one slot, and only separate dimes and
quarters.

Padraic

What type of stores do you shop at? Why would anyone mix 1 and 5
cents in a drawer unless they never used them?

Are these stores the subject of a lot of 'grabs' from the cash drawers
by thieves?

I live in an economically depressed area, and I have never seen 10's
or 20's placed under the till, except for times (Christmas) when the
drawers are over-flowing with cash.

The McD's outlets around always toss their $20s under the tray.

Just put the paper clips where they belong and there will be plenty of room in
the tray for dollars. What do they use in Canada?

--
___________________________________________ ____ _______________
Regards, | |\ ____
Michael G. Koerner May they | | | | | | rise again!
Appleton, Wisconsin USA | | | | | |
___________________________________________ | | | | | | _______________
Old February 20th 07, 07:47 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Paul Anderson

In article ,
"Michael G. Koerner" wrote:

The McD's outlets around always toss their $20s under the tray.

So they have to pick up the tray if they need to use $20s to make change
for someone who hands them a $50? Seems inefficient.

Just put the paper clips where they belong and there will be plenty
of room in the tray for dollars.

I spent dollar coins at the supermarket Saturday and the clerk had the
dollar coin tray filled with rolls of coins. Her head almost exploded
trying to figure out where to put the coins. Rather than realize there
was already a slot for them that was being misused, she put them in the
dollar bill slot.

What do they use in Canada?

I don't know what they use now, but when I was there the day they
introduced the $2 coin (a coincidence) they added a tray to the
left-most bill slot to handle the $2s.

Paul

--
Paul Anderson
OpenVMS Engineering
Old February 20th 07, 08:52 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Fred Shecter

A lot of stores - even those with 6-wide registers - put $20 and above under the tray.
Stater Bros. Supermarkets all do that in So. Cal. Most other supermarkets leave the $20 in
the $20 slot because they hand them out a lot for "cash back" or change for a C-note.

The rolled coin has a compartment under the tray. Putting rolled coin in the tray can jam
the drawer and cause problems with c.g.

http://www.sirius.com/

"Paul Anderson" wrote in message
news

Old February 20th 07, 10:33 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
note.boy

Regards, | |\ ____
Michael G. Koerner May they | | | | | | rise
again!
Appleton, Wisconsin USA | | | | | |

In Canada they probably use common sense. Billy