FIrst quality pen ...

Old May 26th 04, 05:31 PM
William Lee

Default FIrst quality pen ...

Just received my first quality pen today.
Its a used but nice black Pelikan M150 bought at eBay auction.
Inked it with Schafer's black and am pleased with the way it writes.
I plan to carry this pen for a few days to see if I like fountain pens
better than roller balls.

William Lee

Old May 26th 04, 05:40 PM
KCat

"William Lee" wrote in message
snip I plan to carry this pen for a few days to see if I like fountain
pens
better than roller balls.

William Lee

The 150 is a good pen - a bit small for most folks but a nice little pen.
the 200 is slightly larger.

Never make a decision as critical as this based on only one pen. :-)

Old May 26th 04, 06:02 PM
William Lee

Odd you should mention the M200 as I was looking at them yesterday.
Considering buying one each of the translucent blue and red.
(please ... don't ask me why ... I don't know)
I also noticed that the new M150's have a greenish ink window.
The pen I bought looks like new but has a clear window.
I am guessing this is an older M150.
I guess I should buy some reference books to satisfy my unexpected and
curious fascination toward fountain pens. I have made a few kit fountain
pens but never considered using one until a few weeks ago.

Just what I needed ... another hobby to spend some money on.

William Lee

. ..

Old May 26th 04, 06:27 PM
Bluesea

"KCat" wrote in message
. ..
"William Lee" wrote in message
snip I plan to carry this pen for a few days to see if I like fountain
pens
better than roller balls.

Never make a decision as critical as this based on only one pen. :-)

What she said.

I used a Sheaffer fp back in middle school, switched to bp in high school,
switched to a Parker 45 for my first year in college, then used mostly
roller balls until '99 when I figured out why I quit using fps:

1. The Sheaffer was uncomfortable to hold for very long.
2. The Parker consistently left a small ink stain on one of my fingers & was
uncomfortable to hold after awhile.

Then, I bought an A&W Lava pen for $1.49 and another no-name pen for ~$5 to
test my theory about comfortable design. In Y2K, I bought my first Namiki
Falcon and never looked back .

Now, I keep Pentel gel pens for their archival properties, freebie stick
pens by the phone and shopping list, and Fishers because they write under so
many conditions adverse to other pens and don't mind sitting in my hot/cold
car unused for long periods of time, but fountain pens are the bomb.

Moral of story: If the M150 doesn't work for you, figure out why and find
another fp (or two or three or...) that fulfills your requirements.

Enjoy the ride.

--
~~Bluesea~~

Old May 26th 04, 06:30 PM
Bluesea

"William Lee" wrote in message
Odd you should mention the M200 as I was looking at them yesterday.
Considering buying one each of the translucent blue and red.
(please ... don't ask me why ... I don't know)

Because you like the way they look/So that you can use different colors of
ink...

Just what I needed ... another hobby to spend some money on.

Ink is relatively inexpensive and may affect the performance of a pen.

--
~~Bluesea~~

Old May 26th 04, 06:51 PM
William Lee

Ink ??
They don't come with ink?
I gotta buy that separate?

Just ordered two M200 and one CORE from Pendemonium.
Now I got to call back and order some colored ink.

William Lee

Old May 26th 04, 07:05 PM
Bluesea

"William Lee" wrote in message
Ink ??
They don't come with ink?
I gotta buy that separate?

Just ordered two M200 and one CORE from Pendemonium.
Now I got to call back and order some colored ink.

That short cartridge that comes with the Core won't last forever. Aren't you
glad that I reminded you?

Try Noodler's!

--
~~Bluesea~~

Old May 26th 04, 09:00 PM
KCat

"William Lee" wrote in message
Odd you should mention the M200 as I was looking at them yesterday.
Considering buying one each of the translucent blue and red.
(please ... don't ask me why ... I don't know)

for the price (and on-line you can get them for a very reasonable price
though the price will be going up - Pelikan's decision) these are great
little pens. Very reliable, very comfortable and those wonderful
exchangeable nibs. I have 7 Pels of which 5 are 200s.

The pen I bought looks like new but has a clear window.
I am guessing this is an older M150.

maybe - not really "up" on the 150s.

I guess I should buy some reference books to satisfy my unexpected and
curious fascination toward fountain pens.

they tend to be pricey (the books that is) because of the
photography/printing involved. Hubby spoiled me with Fountain Pens of the
World last year. I spend a lot of time just ogling that book. Lots of good
sites though to go cruising through for both vintage and modern pens. Good
way to get an idea of the market. Several pen folk have their collections
displayed on-line. I know I always mention Richard Binder but he has some
great photos of his personal collection. www.richardspens.com I've started
my own pages but only have a few pens represented and not many beauty shots.
Jim Mamoulides has *stunning* pics on his site - www.penhero.com. I get
lost in his site sometimes.

Just what I needed ... another hobby to spend some money on.

William Lee

oh... we'll corrupt you further, William. It only takes a nudge and then
you're buying up inks and FP-friendly paper and dipping into the vintage
market and...

But I wouldn't change this particular addiction at all. There really are
ways to do this without spending thousands of dollars. And a "good" pen
needn't be expensive (witness the humble Pelikans, many vintage Sheaffers
and Parkers and no-names and so on..)

kcat - on to watch Dr. Phil and the psycho divorce. (yeah, I have a life
but only a part-time life.)

Old May 26th 04, 09:07 PM
Deirdre Saoirse Moen

William Lee wrote:
Odd you should mention the M200 as I was looking at them yesterday.
Considering buying one each of the translucent blue and red.
(please ... don't ask me why ... I don't know)

I'll tell you: Translucent pens are cool. (I especially like
translucent rubber pens, but that's just my fetish)

--
_Deirdre http://deirdre.net
"Ideally pacing should look like the stock market for the year 1999, up
Old May 26th 04, 10:00 PM
PENMART01

(Deirdre Saoirse Moen) moans:

I especially like translucent rubber penis, but that's just my fetish)

Deirdre

Typical gurly gurl. hehe

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
*********