appraisal question

Old July 23rd 08, 03:16 PM posted to rec.collecting.books
bill allemann

Default appraisal question

Is there an online appraisal service that would have known credibility, if I
were I to invoke their report in the process of selling a book on ebay, etc?

Thanks, Bill

Old July 24th 08, 03:37 AM posted to rec.collecting.books
Francis A. Miniter[_2_]

bill allemann wrote:
Is there an online appraisal service that would have known credibility, if I
were I to invoke their report in the process of selling a book on ebay, etc?

Thanks, Bill

I doubt it. While you can describe a book to someone who
cannot see it, that person would be unlikely to want to
place a value on it without personally observing the
condition of the book. Condition is one of the most
important criteria for determining the value of a
collectible book. An appraiser would want to know if the
book cover is faded, if the book leans, if the covers are
bowed, if the pages are as white as they were originally,
how extensive any foxing is, are the corners bumped and if
so, how badly, are the hinges fully secure, how bright the
gilt (if any) is, etc. etc. etc.

Francis A. Miniter
Old July 24th 08, 01:24 PM posted to rec.collecting.books
foad[_7_]

"Francis A. Miniter" wrote in message
. ..
bill allemann wrote:
Is there an online appraisal service that would have known credibility,
if I were I to invoke their report in the process of selling a book on
ebay, etc?

Thanks, Bill

I doubt it. While you can describe a book to someone who cannot see it,
that person would be unlikely to want to place a value on it without
personally observing the condition of the book. Condition is one of the
most important criteria for determining the value of a collectible book.
An appraiser would want to know if the book cover is faded, if the book
leans, if the covers are bowed, if the pages are as white as they were
originally, how extensive any foxing is, are the corners bumped and if so,
how badly, are the hinges fully secure, how bright the gilt (if any) is,
etc. etc. etc.

You either misunderstood the question or answered a different one. The
correct answer is that there are lots of online appraisal services, some of
which have credibility; however, invoking their name isn;'t going to
convince anyone of anything, because anyone who's buying a book that's
valuable enough to be worth appraising isn't going to be swayed by the
appraisal. They'll know the relative value and they'll know the conditions
that affect that plus or minus. A couple of pictures and an honest
description will tell the buyer all he needs to know, whether, as you say,
the jacket's torn or the spine's cocked. It's not like a gem stone, where
the analysis of brilliance, color, weight and flaws require equipment and
specialized knowledge beyong the ken of the average buyer.

Francis A. Miniter

Old July 24th 08, 02:01 PM posted to rec.collecting.books
R. Totale

On Wed, 23 Jul 2008 09:16:31 -0500, "bill allemann"
wrote:

Is there an online appraisal service that would have known credibility, if I
were I to invoke their report in the process of selling a book on ebay, etc?

None that is more credible than this:

http://www.beekslayers.org/appraisals.htm

Old July 24th 08, 04:20 PM posted to rec.collecting.books
bill allemann

To clarify, the condition of the book can be conveyed easily enough with
lots of photography, etc.

I was more interested in whether an appraiser could establish a reasonably
accurate market value for me,
with a "given" condition of the book. They would hopefully know the true
rarity, etc of the book.

Bill

Old July 24th 08, 06:52 PM posted to rec.collecting.books
Francis A. Miniter[_2_]

wrote:

Is there an online appraisal service that would have known credibility, if I
were I to invoke their report in the process of selling a book on ebay, etc?

None that is more credible than this:

http://www.beekslayers.org/appraisals.htm

Interesting.

Francis A. Miniter

Old July 25th 08, 04:05 PM posted to rec.collecting.books
R. Totale

On Fri, 25 Jul 2008 09:08:15 -0500, "bill allemann"
wrote:

so, all online appraisers are bogus??

Pretty much. Want to know what your book is "worth"? =No one= can tell
you. Want to know what someone will pay you for your book? Put it on
eBay with a starting price of 99 cents, and in a week you'll know.

Old July 27th 08, 01:15 AM posted to rec.collecting.books
RF

wrote:
so, all online appraisers are bogus??

Pretty much. Want to know what your book is "worth"? =No one= can tell
you. Want to know what someone will pay you for your book? Put it on
eBay with a starting price of 99 cents, and in a week you'll know.

I don't know of any online appraisal services.
Rare book dealers can give you an estimate of a book's value based on
past sales.
Old July 27th 08, 06:08 AM posted to rec.collecting.books
Rick Cooper

I know of only one person that does signed book appraisals, but not
appraisals of books that aren't autographed.

"bill allemann" wrote in message
Is there an online appraisal service that would have known credibility, if

were I to invoke their report in the process of selling a book on ebay,

etc?

Thanks, Bill

Question about appraisal resources - 1820s travel journal Dan Jones Books 15 December 19th 05 09:35 AM
Appraisal advice Craig Callinan Coins 3 April 23rd 05 02:27 PM
Help with appraisal Pat Frederick Coins 3 May 22nd 04 02:29 PM
Appraisal question... Steven Fritch Coins 6 April 22nd 04 01:00 PM
Need Appraisal - Old Coins Haider Kazmi Coins 1 November 10th 03 07:44 PM