Pricing a book that is not found for sale on the internet

Old June 22nd 07, 01:29 PM posted to rec.collecting.books
[email protected]

Default Pricing a book that is not found for sale on the internet

Hello All,

I picked up a 1903 edition of Leavitt's 'A Code of Negligence'. The
book is available at a number of law libraries, but not found through
bookfinder, or similar sites.

I have about a half dozen books that fall in the same category (not
for sale on the web... but I can find reference to them in google).

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Marshall

Old June 22nd 07, 02:38 PM posted to rec.collecting.books
my-wings

You can research by looking for other books by the same author, or other
books in the same subject area, published at about the same time.

You could also put it up on eBay and just see what it will bring. Be warned,
though...I've switched from selling to buying on eBay for the summer, since
the prices seem to be pretty low for now. (Great time for bargains, if
you're the buyer, though!)

Another option might be to look for rare book dealers (ABAA members would be
my suggestion) with a specialty in Law and see if they are interested. The
2006 directory shows that there are six who list law as a specialty. You can
probably google for this information. If you have trouble finding it, let me
know, and I'll transcribe it from my directory.

Alice

oups.com...

Old June 22nd 07, 03:45 PM posted to rec.collecting.books
foad

wrote in message
oups.com...
Hello All,

I picked up a 1903 edition of Leavitt's 'A Code of Negligence'. The
book is available at a number of law libraries, but not found through
bookfinder, or similar sites.

I have about a half dozen books that fall in the same category (not
for sale on the web... but I can find reference to them in google).

Any thoughts?

The book ("cases codified, condensed, classified") would be of little value
to a lawyer, except perhaps as an office decoration. Bender, since absorbed
by Lexis, published mostly treatises and texts, which ACON appears to be.
All that stuff's available online nowadays. AFAICT, Leavitt practiced
generic commercial law, mostly contracts, bankruptcy, trusts, and so forth.
He appeared before the US Supreme Court once, in Richardson v Shaw (209 U.S.
365; 28 S. Ct. 512; 52 L. Ed. 835; 1908 U.S. LEXIS 1711). He lost.

Thanks,

Marshall

Best Book I Ever Found at a Yard Sale or other Place [email protected] Books 0 September 22nd 06 02:13 AM
Book Pricing smokey Books 19 August 8th 06 06:13 PM
Suggestions for the internet book database SD Books 0 April 3rd 06 05:06 PM
The Latest in Whacky Internet Pricing mdobson Books 2 January 27th 06 02:35 PM
found on the internet Yodedude2 8 Track Tapes 3 September 26th 04 04:34 PM