An Italian Artist and Stamp Designer Appears on His Own Stamp - which he designed.

Old February 22nd 04, 12:33 AM
TC

Default An Italian Artist and Stamp Designer Appears on His Own Stamp - which he designed.

An Italian Artist and Stamp Designer Appears on His Own Stamp
(which he designed)

While researching an answer to one of Rodney's questions, I
came across a name that I was not familiar with.

For many years, I had seen the name C. Mezzana connected with the
Italian State Printing Office and various Italian stamp issues.

What I had not done was to connect the name with Italian artist
Corrado Mezzana.

Introduction

Mezzana was born in Rome in 1890 and died in 1952. He was an
eclectic artist (painter, architect, sceneographer, medalist,
engraver). He was the creator of many picturesque works, that
adorn several churches of Rome, Predappio, Sarzana, and Ugento,
as well as the centers of religious Communities and Public agencies.

He was a teacher of design and history and a university art professor.
He also carried out intense activities as a student and critic of art.

Mezzana published numerous monographs and articles that have supplied
interesting contributions to the acquaintance of works and authors
still little known. However. the reputation of Corrado Mezzana is
mainly due to his activity as creator of numerous series of stamps for
the Italian State, the Vatican City and the San Marino Republic.
This made his work known and appreciated by the philately lovers of
the world.

The Commune of Rome has remembered the artist by naming a road after
him, in the vicinity of Casal Palocco.

In November 1990, on the occasion of the centenary of his birth, the
Italian Post issued a commemorative 600 lire stamp (Scott 1926).
For the vignette, they used a juvenile self-portrait of the painter.

His Life

Corrado, born in Rome the 7th of june 1890, demonstrated, from the
most tender age, an interest in and natural tendency for the
picturesque art. His studies followed the classics and led him to
graduate from the lycée in 1908 and to earn a bachelor of
Jurisprudence in 1912. His thesis on "the legislation of the Fine
Arts and the antiquities" yielded praise and the publication and
testifies to his constant artistic vocation.

At the same time he studied painting near master Pio Joris and at the
Institute of the Fine Arts. In 1914 he achieved a qualification to
teach design in advanced schools and to teach art in industrial
institutes. The next year he attained the chair of pictoral design,
an assignment that (with that of teaching the history of art) he held
until his death.

The explosion of world war I, in which he participated as an artillery
officer, interrupted his activity as student and teacher, but not that
of artist. In fact, during that period, his small oils, pastels and
albums reproduce, with great vivacity and freshness, the landscapes,
atmosphere and persons of that great European tragedy.

At war's end, he married Albertina Giorelli (who gave him five sons)
and worked for some years for Tespi Film. His forté was quality of
scenary, at the moment in which the baby Italian cinematography it was
hailed in the world for the artistic value of its films.

At his best, he was successful in condensing the values of art,
culture, history and faith on the smallest surface of a stamp.

He died in Rome on 15 september 1952.

His stamps

Italy + Colonies

1931 Bimillenario della nascita di Virgilio (10 disegni)
1932 Società Nazionale Dante Alighieri (2 disegni)
1932 Cinquantenario della morte di Garibaldi (1 disegno)
1932 X Annuale del Fascismo (20 disegni)
1933 Crociera Zeppelin, Italia (6 disegni)
1933 Crociera Zeppelin Tripolitania (3 disegni)
1933 Anno Santo (4 disegni)
1933 Crociera Nord Atlantica (6 disegni)
1934 Decennale dell'annessione di Fiume (11 disegni)
1935 Istituzione M.V.S.N. (5 disegni)
1937 Bimillenario Augusteo (15 disegni)
1937 Bimillenario Augusteo Colonie (3 disegni)
1938 Grandi Italiani (10 disegni)
1939 Africa Orientale, Italiana (1 disegno)
1941 Bimillenario di Tito Livio (2 disegni)
1941 Asse Roma - Berlino (1 disegno)
1942 III centenario della morte di G. Galilei (4 disegni)
1946 Repubbliche italiane (8 soggetti da fotografie)
1948 VI Centenario dalla nascita di S. Caterina (6 disegni)
1948 I Centenario del Risorgimento Italiano (13 soggetti da stampe)
1949 I Centenario delta Repubblica Romana (1 disegno)
1950 Anno Santo (1 disegno)
1950 Conferenza Europea del tabacco (3 disegni)
1950 Italia al lavoro (19 disegni)
1951 XXIX Fiera di Milano (1 disegno)
1952 XXX Fiera di Milano (1 disegno)
1952 Centenario dei primi francobolli di Modena e Parma (1 disegno)
1952 Fiera di Trieste (1 disegno)
1952 Cardinal Massaia. (1 disegno)
1952 I.C.A.O. Prima Conferenza di diritto aeronautico privato (1
disegno)

Vatican

1936 Esposizione Mondiale della stampa cattolica (4 disegni)
1938 Posta aerea (4 disegni)
1938 Congresso internazionale di archeologia cristiana (2 disegni)
1940 Serie Pio XII (2 disegni)
1940 Incoronazione di Pio XII (1 disegno)
1943 Giubileo Episcopale (1 disegno)
1944 IV Centenario della Pontificia Accademia dei Virtuosi al Pantheon
(4 disegni)
1944 II nuova serie Pio XII (2 disegni uguali a quelli della serie
1940)
1945 Segnatasse (1 disegno)
1946 Concilio di Trento (14 di-segni)
1947 Posta Aerea (3 disegni)
1948 Posta Aerea (1 disegno)
1948 Basiliche romane (12 soggetti da stampe ; 1 disegno)
1950 Arino Santo (2 disegni).1950. I centenario della Guardia Palatina
(1 disegno)
1951 Proclamazione del dogma dell'Assunzione di Maria SS.ma (2
disegni)
1951 Beato Pio X Papa (2 disegni)
1951 XV Centenario del Concilio di Calcedonia (2 disegni)
1951 VIII Centenario del Decreto di Graziano (1 disegno)
1952 I Centenario del Francobollo Pontificio (1 disegno)
1953 I papi e la Basilica di S. Pietro (10 disegni)
Top

San Marino

1946 Omaggio a Roosevelt (6 disegni)

Misc labels

1940 Marche per l'Istituto Nazionale delta Previdenza Sociale (8
disegni)
1948 Chiudi lettera per la Croce Rossa Italiana (5 disegni)

Old February 22nd 04, 11:27 AM
Victor Manta

"Mette" wrote in message
Excellent article and info. Thank you Blair :-)
Mette

Excellent article indeed.

BTW, congratulations for the new old newsgroup server. Obviously, it works
again, and I suppose that still with the old password (as I have once
suggested).

Victor Manta