US Mint Circulating $1 Direct Ship - 2009 Native American $1 and Harrison availability?

Old February 28th 09, 04:49 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Johnny Doe

Default US Mint Circulating $1 Direct Ship - 2009 Native American $1 and Harrison availability?

The Direct Ship section of the Mint site lists the 2009 Native
American coins as 'not available', and doesn't list the 2009 Harrison
dollars at all. Does anyone know if these coins are going to become
'available' or are they just gone? Why would the mint pull the 2009
Native American dollars when they are required to mint so many
millions of them? I would rather pick up a box of each from the mint
at face than have to buy individual rolls at $11 over face each, plus
shipping.
Old February 28th 09, 05:26 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Johnny Doe

On Sat, 28 Feb 2009 11:49:34 -0500, Johnny Doe wrote:

The Direct Ship section of the Mint site lists the 2009 Native
American coins as 'not available', and doesn't list the 2009 Harrison
dollars at all. Does anyone know if these coins are going to become
'available' or are they just gone? Why would the mint pull the 2009
Native American dollars when they are required to mint so many
millions of them? I would rather pick up a box of each from the mint
at face than have to buy individual rolls at $11 over face each, plus
shipping.

In addition, the one bank in my local area that ordered the
presidential dollars in the past was told by their supplier that they
can no longer provide full boxes of them, only mixed junk rolls of $1
coins. So, they won't order any more, and a light goes out for local
collectors.

Old February 28th 09, 05:57 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Michael G. Koerner

Johnny Doe wrote:
The Direct Ship section of the Mint site lists the 2009 Native
American coins as 'not available', and doesn't list the 2009 Harrison
dollars at all. Does anyone know if these coins are going to become
'available' or are they just gone? Why would the mint pull the 2009
Native American dollars when they are required to mint so many
millions of them? I would rather pick up a box of each from the mint
at face than have to buy individual rolls at $11 over face each, plus
shipping.

I ordered a $250 box of 2009 Sacs about a month ago and got it about two weeks
ago. All non-standout business-strike 'P' mints.

--
___________________________________________ ____ _______________
Regards, | |\ ____
Michael G. Koerner May they | | | | | | rise again!
Appleton, Wisconsin USA | | | | | |
___________________________________________ | | | | | | _______________
Old March 1st 09, 02:35 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Jud

Michael G. Koerner wrote:

I ordered a $250 box of 2009 Sacs about a month ago and got it about two weeks
ago. All non-standout business-strike 'P' mints.

--

AFAIK, you can still get the WH Harrison dollars at the bank, I got
mine there last week. OTOH, I have not been able to find the
Old March 1st 09, 02:38 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Roßert G. Schaffrath

Johnny Doe wrote:
On Sat, 28 Feb 2009 11:49:34 -0500, Johnny Doe wrote:

The Direct Ship section of the Mint site lists the 2009 Native
American coins as 'not available', and doesn't list the 2009 Harrison
dollars at all. Does anyone know if these coins are going to become
'available' or are they just gone? Why would the mint pull the 2009
Native American dollars when they are required to mint so many
millions of them? I would rather pick up a box of each from the mint
at face than have to buy individual rolls at $11 over face each, plus
shipping.

In addition, the one bank in my local area that ordered the
presidential dollars in the past was told by their supplier that they
can no longer provide full boxes of them, only mixed junk rolls of $1
coins. So, they won't order any more, and a light goes out for local
collectors.

For the past two years I was able to get the latest Presibux coin on the
day of issue. With the Harrison dollar, my usual sources had to wait a
week to get them. This does not bode well for the future of the program.

I was reluctant to get involved with the program but relented when GW
came out. Now I am beginning to wonder if they will be able to finish
it. I have already decided not to spend much time on the National Parks
quarters as it is just getting ridiculous now.
Old March 1st 09, 04:21 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Michael G. Koerner

Jud wrote:

Michael G. Koerner wrote:

I ordered a $250 box of 2009 Sacs about a month ago and got it about two weeks
ago. All non-standout business-strike 'P' mints.

--

AFAIK, you can still get the WH Harrison dollars at the bank, I got
mine there last week. OTOH, I have not been able to find the
Sacagaweas.
PS Want to sell me a roll Mike?

I unrolled them all and tossed them (except for the best one for my own files)
into my changemaking reserve for work, but I could probably dig 25 of them out
and re-roll them. They all will, of course, now have varying degrees of my
finger schlar on them, though. YMMV.

I mainly bought them 'factory direct' in order to have a steady, reliable and
economical supply for making change at work.

--
___________________________________________ ____ _______________
Regards, | |\ ____
Old March 1st 09, 04:01 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Dave Allured[_3_]

Johnny Doe wrote:

The Direct Ship section of the Mint site lists the 2009 Native
American coins as 'not available', and doesn't list the 2009 Harrison
dollars at all. Does anyone know if these coins are going to become
'available' or are they just gone? Why would the mint pull the 2009
Native American dollars when they are required to mint so many
millions of them?

No real data. My best guess is that the first batch of Natives sold out
faster than expected, and the Mint will "get around" to making more some
time within the next few months. Uncurrent mintage figures on the Mint
website suggest that only a small part of the 2009 Native mintage has
been made so far.

Harrisons: My guess is that their debut on direct ship is delayed, but
they *will* be up in another month or so. I can imagine two reasons.
One, wait for customers to get early Harrisons through banks, which I
think is much less expensive for the Mint. We are still in the Harrison
release window. Two, enhance sales of profitable roll sets via the
Mint's catalog sales.

I would rather pick up a box of each from the mint at face than
have to buy individual rolls at $11 over face each, plus shipping.

Most dollar coin enthusiasts want the same thing. It's too bad that
serving this modest need is no priority for the Mint, Federal Reserve,
and banks.

--Dave
Old March 1st 09, 04:27 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Dave Allured[_3_]

Johnny Doe wrote:

On Sat, 28 Feb 2009 11:49:34 -0500, Johnny Doe wrote:

The Direct Ship section of the Mint site lists the 2009 Native
American coins as 'not available', and doesn't list the 2009 Harrison
dollars at all. Does anyone know if these coins are going to become
'available' or are they just gone? Why would the mint pull the 2009
Native American dollars when they are required to mint so many
millions of them? I would rather pick up a box of each from the mint
at face than have to buy individual rolls at $11 over face each, plus
shipping.

In addition, the one bank in my local area that ordered the
presidential dollars in the past was told by their supplier that they
can no longer provide full boxes of them, only mixed junk rolls of $1
coins. So, they won't order any more, and a light goes out for local
collectors.

Call every other bank in the area and try again, politely, to order new
presidential dollars. The Federal Reserve website indicates that they
are still supporting the commemorative coin program. I am getting
amazingly contradictory results from different local banks.

Also try contacting someone at your local coin club for more local bank
intel.

--Dave
Old March 1st 09, 04:33 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Bruce Remick

"Dave Allured" wrote in message
Johnny Doe wrote:

[...]

I had the same experience. My local BofAm bank had been getting each new
roll within 2-3 weeks of issue, but then they became less dependable. So I
checked two other local banks and found a Wachovia branch that regularly had
the new rolls available within a week or so of issue. I haven't asked about
the Sac dollar rolls since I don't care about saving those. Checking around
sure beats paying $42 for each $25 dollar roll that the dealer ads
advertise.

Old March 5th 09, 06:10 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Paul Anderson

In article ,
Johnny Doe wrote:

On Sat, 28 Feb 2009 11:49:34 -0500, Johnny Doe wrote:

The Direct Ship section of the Mint site lists the 2009 Native
American coins as 'not available', and doesn't list the 2009 Harrison
dollars at all. Does anyone know if these coins are going to become
'available' or are they just gone? Why would the mint pull the 2009
Native American dollars when they are required to mint so many
millions of them? I would rather pick up a box of each from the mint
at face than have to buy individual rolls at $11 over face each, plus
shipping.

In addition, the one bank in my local area that ordered the
presidential dollars in the past was told by their supplier that they
can no longer provide full boxes of them, only mixed junk rolls of $1
coins. So, they won't order any more, and a light goes out for local
collectors.

The bank that always orders a box of one thousand Presidential dollars
for me got the William Henry Harrison coins on time and I'm already
spending them.

I got five hundred 2009 Sacajaweas from the Direct Ship program but I
think that's all I can order for the year.

Paul

--
Paul Anderson
OpenVMS Engineering