inquiry about cape triangle

Old October 29th 04, 12:31 PM
Richard Lee

Default inquiry about cape triangle

hi! -- does anyone know the equivalent Stanley Gibbons # for Cape of Good
Hope (Scott #) 14? I'm also inquiring as to how much something like that
would go for with a fiscal cancel. Thank you all very much for your help!

Sincerely,

Richard Lee
330 687 8932

Old November 2nd 04, 02:12 AM
Chris Doran

Richard Lee wrote in message ...
hi! -- does anyone know the equivalent Stanley Gibbons # for Cape of Good
Hope (Scott #) 14?

I was leaving this to be answered by someone having both cats. But as
no one has, I'm afraid you'll have to post a scan of your stamp on a
website somewhere and/or describe it in some detail, especially as
there are lots of varieties which don't necessarily have 1:1
correspondence in the two cats. Maybe you could point us to it at
http://www.sandafayre.com/gallery/country_83_1.htm. You might get a
clue to narrow it down at http://www.allworldstamps.com/ (select
COGH), but the listing is headed "simplified" and the varieties aren't
listed.

Chris
Old November 2nd 04, 11:56 PM
TC Blair

Richard Lee wrote in message ...
hi! -- does anyone know the equivalent Stanley Gibbons # for Cape of Good
Hope (Scott #) 14? I'm also inquiring as to how much something like that
would go for with a fiscal cancel. Thank you all very much for your help!

Sincerely,

Richard Lee
330 687 8932

Richard:

In my OLD SG, the De la Rue printing (6d) (Scott 14)
is listed as SG #20.

http://www.rhodesia.co.za/ac103.jpg
(SG 20 - mint Block of 8) GBP 1,400

http://www.oloflinder.se/stamps/14575.JPG
SG #20 postally used at auction - starting bid SEK 950 (GBP 73)

Current SG value for SG#20 is:
6d. lilac £180.00 (mint) £450.00 (genuine postally used)
There is NO pricing for fiscal cancels.

I would recommend a RPSL or similar certificate.

Blair Stannard (TC)
Old November 10th 04, 11:03 AM
Chris Doran

Richard Lee wrote in message ...
hi! -- does anyone know the equivalent Stanley Gibbons # for Cape of Good
Hope (Scott #) 14? I'm also inquiring as to how much something like that
would go for with a fiscal cancel. Thank you all very much for your help!

Richard has e-mailed me a scan of his stamp, and having prepared a
private reply, I may as well post it here for "peer review"...

Let me say first off that I don't claim any kind of expertise beyond
the ability to type out bits of the catalogue. These stamps are well
out of my league!

SG lists:-

1855-8 by Perkins Bacon:
7 slate-lilac on blued paper
7b pale rose-lilac on white paper
7c deep rose-lilac on white paper
7d slate-purple on blued paper

1863-4 by De La Rue:
20 bright mauve

It also says of the 1863-4 set: "With the exception of the 4d, these
stamps may be easily distinguished from those printed by Perkins Bacon
by their colours, which are quite distinct. The De La Rue stamps of
all values are less clearly printed, the figure of Hope and the
lettering standing out less boldly, while the fine lines of the
background appear blurred and broken when examined under a glass. The
background as a whole often shows irregularity in the apparent depth
of colour, due to wear of the plates."

The problem, of course, is that you have to have one of each to
compare to be really sure. However, the 1864 date helpfully written on
your stamp obviously points to No 20, and "bright mauve" looks to me
like a good description of the colour as it appears on my screen.

As to the pen cancel, some auction catalogues I have mention a few so
cancelled, but it doesn't really seem to affect their price estimates
which depend more on other factors like margins. They usually say "pen
cancelled (fiscal?)", the question mark implying that they could be
postal nonetheless. They also mention the existence of forgeries.

I hope this helps a bit,

Chris