One press sheet US Baseball sold out before issue date

Old June 25th 12, 09:27 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Victor Manta

Default One press sheet US Baseball sold out before issue date

One uncut 120-stamps press sheet of US Major League Baseball All-Stars, with
all four players, sold out on pre-orders before the issue date July 20 - 21.
Only 1,000 of them were available. Source: Linn's Stamp News on-line.

I suppose that they weren't bought by some uninformed collectors, who will
never recover their money, but by some kind of investors who know what
they're doing.

--
Victor Manta, PWO, AIJP

Philatelic Webmasters Organization: http://pwmo.org/
Art on Stamps: http://artonstamps.org/
Romania by Stamps: http://marci-postale.com/

Old June 25th 12, 09:38 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Terry Reedy

On 6/25/2012 4:27 PM, Victor Manta wrote:
One uncut 120-stamps press sheet of US Major League Baseball All-Stars,
with all four players, sold out on pre-orders before the issue date July
20 - 21.
Only 1,000 of them were available. Source: Linn's Stamp News on-line.

I suppose that they weren't bought by some uninformed collectors, who
will never recover their money, but by some kind of investors who know
what they're doing.

I sure they are pretty in a way, but their size makes them really
awkward to properly store or display without damage.

Old June 25th 12, 11:09 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Victor Manta

"Terry Reedy" wrote in message
On 6/25/2012 4:27 PM, Victor Manta wrote:
One uncut 120-stamps press sheet of US Major League Baseball All-Stars,
with all four players, sold out on pre-orders before the issue date July
20 - 21.
Only 1,000 of them were available. Source: Linn's Stamp News on-line.

I suppose that they weren't bought by some uninformed collectors, who
will never recover their money, but by some kind of investors who know
what they're doing.

I sure they are pretty in a way, but their size makes them really awkward
to properly store or display without damage.

For a stamp collector it is surely true. Years ago I had such a storage
problem with an uncut Canadian sheet, that's why it is still in the
condition the post sent it to me.

I suppose that it is nevertheless easier to store such a sheet than an old
wedding dress, picture, car or locomotive.

Old June 26th 12, 05:40 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Sir F.A. Rien

On Mon, 25 Jun 2012 16:38:59 -0400, Terry Reedy
sharpened a crayon and wrote:

On 6/25/2012 4:27 PM, Victor Manta wrote:
One uncut 120-stamps press sheet of US Major League Baseball All-Stars,
with all four players, sold out on pre-orders before the issue date July
20 - 21.
Only 1,000 of them were available. Source: Linn's Stamp News on-line.

I suppose that they weren't bought by some uninformed collectors, who
will never recover their money, but by some kind of investors who know
what they're doing.

I sure they are pretty in a way, but their size makes them really
awkward to properly store or display without damage.

Certainly not as large as a sheet of GB Line Engraved! Nearly any
framing shop could make an archival quality 'display' for it.

Yet another example of the USPS return to 'special favour' production
for $$$!
Old June 26th 12, 06:43 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Victor Manta

"Sir F.A. Rien" wrote in message
On Mon, 25 Jun 2012 16:38:59 -0400, Terry Reedy
sharpened a crayon and wrote:

On 6/25/2012 4:27 PM, Victor Manta wrote:
One uncut 120-stamps press sheet of US Major League Baseball All-Stars,
with all four players, sold out on pre-orders before the issue date July
20 - 21.
Only 1,000 of them were available. Source: Linn's Stamp News on-line.

I suppose that they weren't bought by some uninformed collectors, who
will never recover their money, but by some kind of investors who know
what they're doing.

I sure they are pretty in a way, but their size makes them really
awkward to properly store or display without damage.

Yet another example of the USPS return to 'special favour' production
for $$$!

The mentioned uncut press sheet was available on the USPS Web store to
anyone, and it was announced in advance. Other four, different types were
still available yesterday, when I checked.

BTW, I see no reasons why USPS should not do things for $$$, especially now
when they have such big problems.

Old June 27th 12, 06:02 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Billns

On 6/26/2012 9:40 AM, Sir F.A. Rien wrote:
[...]

There were a couple letters in Linn's this week protesting the sale of
these uncut sheets. No one is forced to buy them and they are indeed a
pain to store.

Bill
Old June 27th 12, 07:21 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Terry Reedy

On 6/27/2012 1:02 PM, Billns wrote:
On 6/26/2012 9:40 AM, Sir F.A. Rien wrote:

On 6/25/2012 4:27 PM, Victor Manta wrote:
One uncut 120-stamps press sheet of US Major League Baseball All-Stars,
with all four players, sold out on pre-orders before the issue date
July
20 - 21.
Only 1,000 of them were available. Source: Linn's Stamp News on-line.

Certainly not as large as a sheet of GB Line Engraved! Nearly any
framing shop could make an archival quality 'display' for it.

Yet another example of the USPS return to 'special favour' production
for $$$!

There were a couple letters in Linn's this week protesting the sale of
these uncut sheets. No one is forced to buy them and they are indeed a
pain to store.

As a US taxpayer and therefore USPS subsidizer, I am happy for the USPS
to find other, volunteer, sources of revenue. What would bother me would
be if anyone pushes the idea that stamp collectors should pay any
attention to them (like is done with the numerous gummed collector
labels pushed as 'postage stamps').

If these are the actual press sheets, rather than something specially
printed for collectors, then the collectors are preserving what could be
considered historical artifacts ;-).

tjr
Old June 28th 12, 04:40 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Sir F.A. Rien

If these are the actual press sheets, rather than something specially
printed for collectors, then the collectors are preserving what could be
considered historical artifacts ;-).

Are you even barely familiar with the 1934 'National Parks' issue?
Here we go AGAIN!
Old June 28th 12, 04:41 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Sir F.A. Rien

Yet another example of the USPS return to 'special favour' production
for $$$!

There were a couple letters in Linn's this week protesting the sale of
these uncut sheets. No one is forced to buy them and they are indeed a
pain to store.

Porcine squadron #6 ready for take off.
Old August 31st 12, 08:43 PM
einbahn einbahn is offline
Junior Member

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victor Manta View Post
One uncut 120-stamps press sheet of US Major League Baseball All-Stars, with
all four players, sold out on pre-orders before the issue date July 20 - 21.
Only 1,000 of them were available. Source: Linn's Stamp News on-line.

I suppose that they weren't bought by some uninformed collectors, who will
never recover their money, but by some kind of investors who know what
they're doing.

--
Victor Manta, PWO, AIJP

I received my shipment from the USPS fulfillment center yesterday. I usually order from the catalog I receive via US Mail at the time the stamps become available. I received everything ordered EXCEPT the Baseball All-stars press sheet. I called the USPS Fulfillment center this morning. I was told that the sheet sold out on July 9th, well ahead of the first day of issue 7/20-21/2012. She said that those that ordered online received their orders. This seems to indicate that those who ordered via USPS, like me, were disappointed. I guess that the message is, if something is important, do NOT USE THE USPS. As was already pointed out this smacks of the National Parks issue (so called "Farley" issue) from the 1930's. I am starting to see these press sheets being offered for sale at several multiples of their purchase price. Makes one wonder about who was cooperating with who?