Spain~Franking stamps for Senators and deputies.

Old June 4th 09, 07:29 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
rodney

Default Spain~Franking stamps for Senators and deputies.

On further inspection, I see other Spanish stamps defined as "private" Pedro
but I have no idea how the definition is applied.
http://cjoint.com/data/geizk7CUFU.htm

"Pedro"
Well, the Edifil Spanish catalog defines it literally as a "private
issue". I think that what they try to say is that it was intended for use
only inside the Congress/Senate and not by the rest of citizens in the
postal offices. Not available to general public. Correct me if I'm
mistaken.

Old June 4th 09, 12:44 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Blair[_2_]

On Jun 4, 2:29*am, "rodney" wrote:
On further inspection, I see other Spanish stamps defined as "private" Pedro
but I have no idea how the definition is applied.http://cjoint.com/data/geizk7CUFU.htm

"Pedro"

Well, the Edifil Spanish catalog defines it literally as a "private
issue". I think that what they try to say is that it was intended for use
only inside the Congress/Senate and not by the rest of citizens in the
postal offices. Not available to general public. Correct me if I'm
mistaken.

There are numerous similar issues.
They were approved and valid for postage in specific instances,
but not necessarily available to the general public for all postage
purposes.

Blair
Old June 4th 09, 07:41 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Blair[_2_]

On Jun 4, 7:44*am, Blair wrote:
On Jun 4, 2:29*am, "rodney" wrote:

On further inspection, I see other Spanish stamps defined as "private" Pedro
but I have no idea how the definition is applied.http://cjoint.com/data/geizk7CUFU.htm

Rodney:

One flavour of this type of stamp is called a Franchise Stamp.

This Franchise Stamp was only used by the Portugese Red
Cross Society to frank their mail. (No denomination specified)
http://www.linns.com/howto/refresher...1_0628_big.jpg

Another was used by the Lisbon Geographic Society
http://www.linns.com/howto/refresher...3_0628_big.jpg

France has issued FM (Military Franchise) stamps for use by
members of their armed forces, while on duty. Here is one
used on a cover.
http://www.mayoph.com/images4/06b930.jpg

Here is an older one used from Algeria.
http://www.mayoph.com/images2/02d015.jpg

Here are some Swiss Franchise stamps. The number
(828) indicated the organization / charity entitled to use the stamps.
http://i18.ebayimg.com/06/i/001/20/e9/a7cb_1.JPG

828 was Kantonsspital Winterthur (Canton Hospital of Winterthur)
http://de.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?...20071003151449

Winterthur is the sixth largest city in Switzerland.

Blair
Old June 4th 09, 09:40 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Blair[_2_]

On Jun 4, 2:41*pm, Blair wrote:

More Franchise stamps:

Spain
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...se_postale.jpg

Old June 5th 09, 01:51 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
rodney

Private postage:
(which explains the Spanish private postage admirably)
from "ask phil"

Private postage: 1: nondenominated stamps with inscription "Postage Paid"
valid for postage within the Australia and sold by some hotels in Australia
for convenience of guests. 2: stamps issued by a government for use of
private individuals, usually for large mailings or for mail deemed to be of
great benefit to the public; Spain 1869 and 1881 for pamphlet to schools,
Portugal rifle club. 3: hotel stamps, Lundy stamps.