Mint coins

Old January 13th 06, 08:49 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins

Default Mint coins

The time has come to update the 2006 coins. Thats as exciting as it gets
for me. I usually get them from ebay pre-sales, as I just did yesterday.
(Lincoln and Roos. not found yet) Most of those sellers say that they
get their coins from the mint. Are these 'straight from the mint coins'
usually of higher quality than a fresh roll from the bank? Or are these
sellers laughing at people who buy 2 nickels from them for $1.00?
Basically, are mint coins treated differently than street coins?
Hoping I'm not a sucker,,, again, Jim

Old January 13th 06, 11:15 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins

Jim Wild wrote:
The time has come to update the 2006 coins. Thats as exciting as it
gets for me. I usually get them from ebay pre-sales, as I just did
yesterday. (Lincoln and Roos. not found yet) Most of those sellers
say that they get their coins from the mint. Are these 'straight from
the mint coins' usually of higher quality than a fresh roll from the
bank? [...]

The mint has learned that the collectors love the rolls and bags, but so
far, they aren't offering the "boring" coins like the cents or dimes.
(In fact, right now, the only 2006 rolls/bags offered are the "Return to
Monticello" nickels).

This means that the only way to get ALL the current year's coins from
the mint is to buy "Uncirculated Coin Sets" - which won't be available
until June/July according to the mint's calendar.

However, last year the mint sets were produced with a different finish
than regular issue coins - so it was impossible to get all the regular
coins directly from the mint. I presume that this years coins will also
be produced with the same "satin finish" - but that is speculation on my
part.

As Mr. Jaggers pointed out, the normal way to get 2006-dated coins is to
ask at your bank (if you're lucky enough to have an accommodating bank
nearby).

--
Jim Seymour
Old January 14th 06, 12:09 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins

Thank you Jim

Old January 14th 06, 03:00 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins

Are these 'straight from the mint coins'
usually of higher quality than a fresh roll from the bank?

Many people are laboring under the misconception that a fresh Brinks or
shotgun roll (crimped edges) from a bank is the same thing as "fresh
from the mint."

If you literally want coins direct from the US Mint, you have to buy
them in US Mint rolls, usually marked "US Mint" in green ink, or in
bags of 100 or 1000. Not all
denominations are sold this way by the US Mint, but in the past 5c, 25c
and 50c coins were available.

As has been pointed out, the classic way to get US circulating coinage,
by buying Mint Sets, no longer works because now (2005-?) they have a
special "satin" finish.

Coins directly from the Mint have been handled fewer times than coins
found at banks, so in theory they should be in better condition. In
practice, anything can happen.

Regards,
Tom

Old January 16th 06, 04:28 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins

On Fri, 13 Jan 2006 15:15:01 -0800, Jim Seymour
wrote:

As Mr. Jaggers pointed out, the normal way to get 2006-dated coins is to
ask at your bank (if you're lucky enough to have an accommodating bank
nearby).

I have been told by more than one teller at my 'bank' (a Credit Union)
that they buy zero coins from the Feds. All of their coinage comes
from CU members who bring them in. Therefore, no uncirc rolls,
period. I once opened an account at a real bank after being given bad
information from a teller regarding the bank's practices in obtaining
coins. That one received uncirculated rolls very rarely and
sporadically. There is no Bank of America in my town. I was recently
told Regions Bank might have uncirc rolls if you order them by the
box. sigh
So, the inflated US Mint prices seem to be my source, TFN, and that
doesn't provide Cents nor Dimes.
Old January 17th 06, 01:59 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins

wrote:

As Mr. Jaggers pointed out, the normal way to get 2006-dated coins is to
ask at your bank (if you're lucky enough to have an accommodating bank
nearby).

I have been told by more than one teller at my 'bank' (a Credit Union)
that they buy zero coins from the Feds. All of their coinage comes
from CU members who bring them in. Therefore, no uncirc rolls,
period. I once opened an account at a real bank after being given bad
information from a teller regarding the bank's practices in obtaining
coins. That one received uncirculated rolls very rarely and
sporadically. There is no Bank of America in my town. I was recently
told Regions Bank might have uncirc rolls if you order them by the
box. sigh
So, the inflated US Mint prices seem to be my source, TFN, and that
doesn't provide Cents nor Dimes.

You can buy business strike Lincolns from the mint--they have one P and one
D in that beginners set. Cost is $14.50 and quite probably no one is buying
these. Can't find any production figures for this set anywhere. The cents in
the set I bought don't have any of that roll friction you see on 99% of
Lincolns.
I'll tell you where I've found new dimes a lot of times is at a retail store
that has those do-it-yourself checkout lanes. Some places like to fill those
with new rolls of coins because it makes an impression on customers.