Is the Etopps market dead?

Old November 26th 03, 11:10 PM
John Brocato

Default Is the Etopps market dead?

I noticed that every 2003 Etopps baseball card (except Hampton and
Cabrera) has a market value 15% or more below the original selling
price. Is this a trend or mainly because we're in the baseball
offseason?

John Brocato
Old November 27th 03, 01:46 AM
Rodrick MacKinnon

This time of year football is king in the USA and hockey rules Canada, so
it's not surprising that baseball card values are pretty stagnant or
dropping.

I'm of the opinion that eTopps is nothing more than a novelty and not much
of an "investment". The only eTopps cards that realize any significant value
are those from the first run in 2001, when nobody cared or bought many
(except for over-hyped Ichiro, of which 10,000 were issued). Since then,
cards typically have print runs of 1000+, which in current hobby trends is
overkill for a supposed "limited edition".

My advice: collect your favorite player or team, but don't expect to hit a
goldmine.

-Rodrick

om...

Old November 27th 03, 08:52 AM
Ryan Cracknell

As you've observed, it is in a slump. Will it recover? Who knows. But they
are gorgeous cards if you get them shipped to you. Although they are set up
as an investment, I stick to the players I'm interested in or know trading
friends might be interested in. But to make money, I'd rather put money in a
safe bank account right now, although if you work hard some money can be
made - just not the hundreds from a couple years back.

Ryan

Old November 27th 03, 03:39 PM
Only4Ebay

eTopps are nothing more then overvalued insert cards that are now finding there
way down to a true value level. When the eTopps print run numbers are in the
low 100s instead of the high 1000s, they might hold some real value, but still
nothing more then an overhyped insert card. You can find many...MANY star
insert and parallel cards that are serial numbered 25 to 100, and you can find
them without much trouble for $10(or less).