Is the jukebox market dead?

Old October 5th 08, 04:17 PM posted to alt.collecting.juke-boxes
J.C.

Default Is the jukebox market dead?

I can't believe things are this bad. I've been trying to sell a fully
shopped 1976 Seeburg STD3 Sunstar since mid summer. It's on 3
different craiglist areas in Maryland and Delaware. It's been on WBOC
classifieds.It's been in the Sussex Guide which goes all over Delaware
and the eastern shore of Maryland. it's on it's 2nd run in there with
bold so it's easy to see and no price mentioned so even someone hoping
to get one cheap might call and not 1 single phone call from that
listing. I did get a few no shows at the beginning of trying to sell
it.

Should I ebay it or what? Any ideas? I need to sell it. I don't want
to sit on it for several years until the economy turns around if it
turns around.I see the local guy fixing and selling Rowe jukes has got
desperate and put one on ebay for a much cheaper Buy It Now price than
he was in the Sussex Guide with 60 day warranty and extras included.
Seems pretty bad if no one even calls or emails.

J.C.
Old October 5th 08, 05:20 PM posted to alt.collecting.juke-boxes
Keith Stelter[_2_]

"J.C." wrote in message
[...]

1. Yes, the jukebox market is dead. The reasons have been discussed here
many times, and can be found with a quick google search.

2. You don't give us the price that you have been asking so that we can tell
if it's the market or your price that's out of whack.

3. The Sunstar isn't a popular jukebox, and unfortunately with the current
market conditions will only fetch between $300.00 and $500.00.

Old October 5th 08, 05:23 PM posted to alt.collecting.juke-boxes
DesotoFireflite

To: J.C.
Is the jukebox market dead?
By: J.C. to alt.collecting.juke-boxes on Sun Oct 05 2008 08:17 am

bold so it's easy to see and no price mentioned so even someone hoping
to get one cheap might call and not 1 single phone call from that

I would put it on Ebay, and put a fair price on it and also include a buy it
now. It has to have a fair price, one that will get people interested. No
price or a very low price is a turn off to me. I focus mainly on buy it now.
If listed on Craigslist, no price will get no response out of most. Be fair
and it will sell. Pictures showing mech and electronics and all angles will
also help

- C.G. Learn
- Valhalla Home Services! - Telnet://valhalla.synchro.net
- A Gamers Paradise - Over 100 Registered Online Game Doors!

--- Synchronet 3.15a-Win32 NewsLink 1.85
Valhalla Home Services! - Over 100 Online Games! - telnet://valhalla.synchro.net
Old October 5th 08, 07:04 PM posted to alt.collecting.juke-boxes
mike

Even before this latest economic downturn the market was in a slowing trend.
A nice newer model Rockola or Wurly CD bubller will take a while to find a
home even if priced modestly at $2500-$3000.

Ebay vs Craigslist? Well , clearly Ebay opens your item to a worldwide
market and often will introduce shipping challenges. Craigslist may not have
such wide market visibility but it's usually local folks that can be at your
door to pickup the next day. It has its advantages for sure. I recommend
trying CL first before Ebay just because its an easier sell without any
listing costs or final value fees.

I agree, if your a collector or just looking to get a juke for the gameroom
it's a good time to buy.

MRT
To: J.C.

Old October 6th 08, 03:36 AM posted to alt.collecting.juke-boxes
J.C.

On Oct 5, 12:20�pm, "Keith Stelter"
wrote:
"J.C." wrote in message

[...]

market conditions will only fetch between $300.00 and $500.00.- Hide quoted text -

I originally wanted $800 but was willing to drop to $600.At this point
I'd take $500 but any less no way.I'd keep it first.I know I got $300
tied up in it.I paid $100 for the juke,bought the manual,bought all
the microlog and SHP books,new florescents,all new flasher bulbs,all
new indicator bulbs at Victory Glass prices(highway robbery for those
bulbs)all new electrolytic capacitors,new motor coupler,new turntable
grommets,new coin door lock,new foam in the glass frames and all the
expensive stiff to clean it thoroughly.You'd never even know it was in
a bar.It passes the sniff test.No cigarette smell or nasty brown
nicotene anywhere.The cosmetics are very nice with the only thing
that's detracting is a crack in the upper colored plastic.If I can't
sell it now I'm not about to pay Durfee for an uncracked one.

Here is a link to one of my craiglist ads: http://delaware.craigslist.org/clt/845179819.html
Old October 6th 08, 11:08 AM posted to alt.collecting.juke-boxes
Keith Stelter[_2_]

wrote:
"J.C." wrote in message

[...]

Well,
No offense, but
I guess that you will be keeping it.
The amount of money that someone has into an item is COMPLETELY irrelevant
to the market value of the item, so you have to get that out of your head.
I just finished restoring an MGB roadster. I probably have $10,000.00 in it
(not counting labor). I can probably get $5,000.00 out of it if I need to
sell it.
I knew I was going to be way upside down on it, but I didn't care because I
wanted to do it right for myself and it's a fun hobby for me.
People should always check out the market value of an item before they
restore it. That way they can decide if they really want to do it or not. Of
course a lot of times you get stuck because you have done so much already
that you almost HAVE to spend the additional money just to get the thing
completed.
Bottom line is that you either need to sell it, and will take the going
price for it, or you don't really need to sell it and will keep it.
Just remember that in another 2 years it will probably only be worth
$150.00.
No matter what happens to the economy, all indicators are that the jukebox
market will continue to decline because of Ipods and hard drives that hold a
million songs, computers that are used as jukeboxes, and the fact that
younger people don't have the memories of jukes that older people do.
Maybe you can find someone who will trade you for something that you would
like more.
I traded a juke recently for some gumball machines that were worth more than
what I was looking to get out of the juke. I was able to sell off the
gumball machines (which were easy to pack and ship) and made some money on
the deal.
In the past I've traded jukes and pins for stuff like a generator, a golf
cart for my kids to mess with, etc.

Good luck!