Tech: Seeberg AY-DS Swapping Selection Receivers

Old September 23rd 08, 08:25 PM posted to alt.collecting.juke-boxes
Tim

Default Tech: Seeberg AY-DS Swapping Selection Receivers

Here's another good one. I had a customers selection receiver out
of a DS 160 that after it warmed up a minute or two would pick up
every record in alpa-numerical order. I cleaned the RCA plug (tormat)
swapped out the 2050 and the trip box with the 12AX7 tube on it, to no
avail. Out of desperation, I swapped the selection receiver with one
from my AY-160 in my shop, problem solved. The DS now works fine.
Now I created a new problem. Went to repair the selection receiver
that is now in the AY and it doesn't pick anything at all! the
receiver from the DS is a TSU3. I think the receiver from the AY was a
TSU4? Am I right? Do we know if these are swappable?

I'm Bumming! I would really appreciateit if someone could chime in
here.
Thanks,
Tim
Old September 24th 08, 05:02 AM posted to alt.collecting.juke-boxes
psapinball

Tim,

Here are a couple things to try to narrow it down.

I know you said you swapped the pulse amp's on the selection receivers
but did you replace the parts the fail, .05 mfd cap on the 12AX7 tube
and the 5.6 meg resistor?

If that is good try making a selection and pull the 12AX7 tube from
its socket while it is scanning. If the mech doesn't stop it usually
means the problem is in the pulse amp, the 2050 or the solenoid
circuit.

Let me know what you get and we can go from there.

Good luck,
Bret
Old September 24th 08, 02:23 PM posted to alt.collecting.juke-boxes
Rich Klestinez

"psapinball" wrote in message
Tim,

Here are a couple things to try to narrow it down.

I know you said you swapped the pulse amp's on the selection receivers
but did you replace the parts the fail, .05 mfd cap on the 12AX7 tube
and the 5.6 meg resistor?

If that is good try making a selection and pull the 12AX7 tube from
its socket while it is scanning. If the mech doesn't stop it usually
means the problem is in the pulse amp, the 2050 or the solenoid
circuit.

Let me know what you get and we can go from there.

Good luck,
Bret

FYI
The DS160 uses a TSU7 only. The credit units are the UPS1 and the UDP1
only.

The AY160 uses a TSU3 only. The credit units are SPU1 SPU1H,
DPU1,DPU5,HDU1,CAU1,CAU5,
in addition if the unit has a RCSU3 of TJU3 stepper/junction unit it must
use a dual pricing unit.
The USP1 and the UDP1 credit units may be used with this receiver with
"modification of the credit unit per Seeburg data sheet No. 50933"

If you have a TSU4 it would have been for a library unit and wouldn't work
in a jukebox as the power wiring is different.

There is a wiring difference in the TSU3 only. J504 of the pricing unit and
then to the selector. See page 13012 in your seeburg manual. The way the
selectors and credit units are wired in the 2 jukes are not the same.

Reply back to the group with what is in the box you are attempting to repair
along with the credit unit and junction unit. You may have to go back to
your customer and get your receiver back.

I will try to walk you through the jungle of incompatibility.

Rich Klestinez
The Amp Man
Texas USA

Old September 26th 08, 08:36 PM posted to alt.collecting.juke-boxes
Tim

On Sep 24, 8:23*am, "Rich Klestinez" wrote:
[...]

Texas USA- Hide quoted text -

Wow! Thanks for responding. Here is what I have in this AY 160 as of
right now.

SHFA3.................Amplifier
USPU1.................Credit unit
TSU3....................Selection Reciever
TPA1 code A........ Pulse Amp

If you could let me know what will work or what to change and I will.
If I have to I will have to swap back to the customer. I'll need to
figure out why it would keep picking though first. Help!

Another note: I see you call yourself the "Amp Man" Do you do repairs
and such for amps. I am using a guy in San Diego right now who's all
right but I'd like some one a little closer. Let me know what you all
do.
Thanks,
Tim
Old September 29th 08, 01:46 PM posted to alt.collecting.juke-boxes
Rich Klestinez

"Tim" wrote in message
[...]

For the AY160 You can use the SHFA3 or SHFA4
The TSU3 is correct
You have the USPU1 (universal single pricing unit) It must be modified per
Seeburg data sheet 50933, field service bulletin CP61-19, 9/1/1961. If not,
it will not select. I can send you with a copy if you will send me an email
to (myname) (at) charter.net. with your address. or give me a call at area
code 817 pnumber 7375172
Because the USPU1 is a single pricing unit it should be used with the TJU2
(tormat junction unit) or the RCSU2 (remote control stepper unit). If
memory serves it should be able to be used with a TJU3/RCSU3 with the jumper
set to SPU. I could be wrong about this though you may have to set the
jumper to DPU instead.
Any Pulse amp should work with the unit. I have even used the painted ones
that came with later machines with no problems.
I started in the juke business in 1975, built my building in 1982 and have
hundreds of customers thru-out the country. 66 Yrs old from IN go fishing
in MN, and still going. (selling off some of my inventory though). I have a
web site http://webpages.charter.net/richklestinez/
(witch is seriously out of date), and maintain several amps and receivers
rebuilt and in stock for my customers on an exchange basis. Subscribe to
"Always Jukin" 206-652-4005 and mention my name (this gets me a free month
extension on my subscription). This magazine has great resources and a
large knowledge base.

feel free to call or email if you have any other questions

richklestinez
in Texas USA.

Old September 29th 08, 03:12 PM posted to alt.collecting.juke-boxes
Tim

On Sep 29, 7:46*am, "Rich Klestinez" wrote:
"Tim" wrote in message

[...]

in Texas USA.- Hide quoted text -

Email has been sent for the details.