Rowe MM3 playing wrong selections

Old January 22nd 05, 09:43 PM

Default Rowe MM3 playing wrong selections

I have a Rowe/ami MM3 that plays the wrong selections. Meaning that if
I hit a1 it plays c1. It does this on the same selections everytime,
but I can't seem to determine any kind of pattern to it. Most of the
selections play just fine. I have looked in the manual and have
adjusted both sprag relays and the switches related to them. I have
adjusted the wiper arms according to how the manual shows but I can't
seem to make any headway. If I could determine some kind of pattern it
would probably help, but I haven't been able to. Occasionally, the
selections that are usually screwed up will play the right songs.
Any suggestions on what to check next.

Mark

Old January 23rd 05, 07:33 AM
Tenpin

First try to determine if the correct selection is being made on the Pin
Wheel. I believe selection B1 is the top center pin on either the inside or
outside circle of pins ( I havn't worked on these in many years ). If you
have the manual it will show the B1 pin and it may also be labeled on the
pinwheel itself.

If the correct Pin is NOT being pushed out according to the selection you
make from the keyboard, you have a selection Write In Problem. This could
be in the selection keyboard or in the Search unit.

If the correct pin IS being pushed then you have a read out problem. Check
the adjustments and the micro switches on the Stop Switch assembly ( the
rotating gear wheel behind the pin wheel which is on the back of the search
unit. ) You can find the adjustments for this in the manual.

In a Rowe Mechanism of this vintage, for reliable performance it might be
advisable to change all of the micro switches throughout the mechanism AFTER
you have corrected any problems you may have at this time. Change the micro
switches one or two at a time, make sure the adjustments are correct and the
mechanism works ok before proceding to change the rest of the micro
switches.

Is it onnly an A1 C1 problem or is it any A you select a C comes up in
the same number group ? There are other areas of the mechanism that could
cause this situation but my experience in servicing hundreds of these
machines is that it is a bad micro or an out of adjustment condition in the
Search Unit or the Stop Switch assembly. If ALL selections are one
position off, the Stop Switch Assembly might be one tooth off. See the
service manual for the allignment mark ( 200 ) of the Stop Switch Assembly.
oups.com...

Old January 23rd 05, 02:46 PM

There really is no pattern to it. The one constant is that a1 will
always get you c1. But it will also usually play several selections in
the other number columns and on different letter selections
incorrectly. It is the lack of any pattern that is really has me
confused. I have checked and the alignment "pin", I believe B1 is
being written in when you hit the B1 selection. That is the only one
that is labeled, so I'm not sure how to "count around" to see if the
others are hitting the correct pin. I've just been moving records
around and flipping a and b sides over to correct for it, but it is
getting a little annoying.

Mark

Is it onnly an A1 C1 problem or is it any A you select a C comes

up in
the same number group ? There are other areas of the mechanism that

could
cause this situation but my experience in servicing hundreds of these

machines is that it is a bad micro or an out of adjustment condition

in the
Search Unit or the Stop Switch assembly. If ALL selections are one
position off, the Stop Switch Assembly might be one tooth off. See

the
service manual for the allignment mark ( 200 ) of the Stop Switch

Assembly.
wrote in message
oups.com...

Old January 23rd 05, 11:36 PM
John Robertson

On Sat, 22 Jan 2005 13:43:55 -0800, wrote
(in article .com):

I have a Rowe/ami MM3 that plays the wrong selections. Meaning that if
I hit a1 it plays c1. It does this on the same selections everytime,
but I can't seem to determine any kind of pattern to it. Most of the
selections play just fine. I have looked in the manual and have
adjusted both sprag relays and the switches related to them. I have
adjusted the wiper arms according to how the manual shows but I can't
seem to make any headway. If I could determine some kind of pattern it
would probably help, but I haven't been able to. Occasionally, the
selections that are usually screwed up will play the right songs.
Any suggestions on what to check next.

Mark

As suggested by our friend in Australia you have at least ONE bad
microswitch. I recommend testing ALL microswitches while you have the machine
on your bench.

http://www.flippers.com/juke-tip.html for pictures...

A simple ohm-meter set on the lowest scale is used, simply connect from the
Common (C) to the Normally Open (NO) and operate the switch, you should see
the resistance drop to the same value as when the ohm-meter leads are shorted
together. If not, try wiggling the leads to get a better connection to the
legs of the microswitch. If you still don't get a very low reading , or it
bounces around a lot, then that switch is bad and needs to be replaced. Be
CERTAIN to used the same current rating as the original!

Now test the same switch on the Common (C) to Normally Closed (NC) for the
same results as the NO contacts.

You will probably find a couple of suspect (replace them!) microswitches....

Don't forget to oil the motors and metal on metal pivots, slides, and
rotators while on the bench!

John :-#)#

Old January 24th 05, 08:07 AM
Tenpin

If the problem is always constant to the A selection picking up a C
selection it could be a marginal adjustment on the Stop Switch Assy pawl.
On relay S1 ( on the right side of the search unit viewing from the front )
there are 2 sets of contacts. Per the service manual MKAE SURE that the
rear set of contacts OPEN Before the front set of contacts Close. These
contacts are supposed to be in a break before make configuration, if they
are not a problem as you describe can occour. During the selection process
the search unit is supposed to stop when the number segment is found on the
front of the commutator board and the search unit is supposed to momentarily
come to a stop and then resume rotationg to find the selected letter segment
on the rear of the commutator board. If the contacts on S1 are not adjusted
to break before make the search unit may not be making that momentary stop
which can cause mis selection in the A, C & E selections. When I was
servicing these machines for a distributor I always tested search units for
this. Another item that may be worth checking is for chipped or borken
teeth on the Sprag Wheel on the magazine drive unit although this would
affect more than just the A and C selections.

After checking the S1 relay contact situation on the Search Unit, check the
stop switch adjustment. You may have to skew this adjustment just slightly
to have the magazine stop just a shade earlier than it is, provided the
correct pins are being pused on the pin wheel.
oups.com...