Storage of lustrous coins

Old January 23rd 05, 09:07 PM
Colin

Default Storage of lustrous coins

Opinions please!!!, what is the best way of storing lustrous coins to
prevent them losing lustre. I know paper envelopes are the best, but I feel
they do not suit my requirements, because I want to be able to see the coins
without having to remove them. I have tried Lindner type trays, but do not
like the ability to only view one side, and they seemed to attract dust too
easily for my liking.

I have them stored in Lighthouse albums at present where they have been for
the last couple of years without any apparent disfiguration, the only
concern I have over these albums is that viewing is not easy with small
coins such as farthings due to the two layers of protective inserts.

I suppose what I am saying is does anyone know a good way of storing small
cent sized coins, where both sides are clearly visible through the storage
medium.

How are the self adhesive coin holders long term?

All and any opinions welcome.

Thanks

Colin

Old January 23rd 05, 09:29 PM
James Higby

Your statement about paper envelopes suggests that you are not averse to the
idea of individual 2x2 holders. If not, the 2x2 flips sold under the trade
name Saflips are the best. In addition, you can put the individual coins in
little capsules called Kointains (made by the same company as Saflips) and
have a coin that is eminently visible, accessible, and protected. Store
them in one of the blue plastic boxes sold by Whitman, and you're set.

A more esthetic holder might be the plastic snap-together holders that as
far as I know are inert. The downside may be that you cannot see the edges
of the coins.

I would fear that the solvents in the self-adhesive coin holders might
migrate into the air chamber and contaminate the coins.

James
'we are but temporary custodians'

.uk...

Old January 23rd 05, 09:38 PM
Paul A.

Colin,

I have found paper envelopes tend to tone coins somewhat over time. I use
the snaplocks a lot in my
climate they work for long term storage very well.

I would suggest the intercept shield type holders or albums if you want to
have the best chance to keep them from toning.

Be wary of using many flips or 2x2's for long term storage make certain they
are pvc free I only use the
so called safety flips. I always remove new coins from old flips or 2x2's
when I obtain them as you cant always see the contamination on a coin, often
when you notice the flip turning yellow or the green slime on a coin its
permanently impaired. I often dip new additions in acetone and rinse in
distilled water if I suspect they may have pvc contamination or residue from
previous dips etc.

.uk...

Old January 23rd 05, 09:53 PM
Brian Oakley

I prefer AirTite's. If you keep them from getting scratched or marred, you
can see the coins very well. You wont find anything that is perfect. Its
all related to what you're willing to tolerate. If you have to see the coin
perfectly, keep it in an envelope. If you're wanting a safe way to store
and look at your coins, I can recommend AirTites. Depends on what your most
extravagant need is.

"James Higby" heezerbumfrool[at]hotmail[dot]com wrote in message
[...]

.uk...

Old January 23rd 05, 11:00 PM
fletch

Here's another way to go if you'd like.

You might consider the Intercept Shield products, described at
www.interceptshield.com and sold by a number of coin supply outlets.

To keep the coin easy to view, you can put it in a safety flip (non-PVC) or
cointain holder; place that in an intercept shield 'slab' box with a little
baggie of fresh silica gel; then place that in the large intercept shield
box with yet another, larger packet of silica gel. You may even want to
keep the boxes in a closed drawer with still more silica. They sell large
boxes of silica relatively cheaply; some have their own indicator strip that
shows you when to replace or recharge the silica.

A bit obsessive I know and maybe only worthwhile if you have some valuable
coins or coins you just can't bear to see deteriorate. But it's what I do.

--Keith

Old January 24th 05, 01:50 AM
Moses Horwitz

Colin wrote:

[...]

My personal favorite

http://www.eaglecoinholders.com/catalog/

JAM
Old January 24th 05, 08:32 PM
Colin

It sometimes makes me wonder how we all go through the careful task of
storing our coins in inert holders, when very often a coin can survive 150+
years in BU condition. How can this coin have survived that well, after all
there were no 2x2 flips or airtites about then!!!

I wonder what their secret was?

Colin