Day to day pen opinions

Old August 19th 08, 10:13 PM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils
Jimmy

Default Day to day pen opinions

"Aaron W. Hsu" wrote in message
"Jimmy" writes:

What do you like every day as a cheap, good fountain pen that doesn't need
to be insured, or carried around in cottonwool by a team of hired guards?

I carry around my MontBlanc all day long, and I don't worry too much, but
I am careful with it. ;-)

Although, I guess, it would depend on what you do every day. I for one
use dip pens as my "daily writers" when it comes to writing letters or
anything else that I actually want to take some time to do. For jotting
notes, I'd say that have a decent dip pen at the ready on your desk is
just fine.

If you go about the country during your day, you might not want to go
with a dip pen and a portable ink well. ;-) In that case, I've always
found the Waterman and Shaeffer college budget pens to work really well.
Shaeffer writes a little dryer if your tastes tend towards that direction,
and the Watermans write really wet. I don't like either particularly well
for myself, but my Wife uses a Waterman Phileas or some such quite
happily.

I've got a nice MontBlanc that I use at home, but since it's a discontinued
model, I don't like to risk losing it. I own a couple of the Phileas. It is
great value for money, with a smooth nib and generous flow. There is
something "off" about the shape though; it feels less than sure-footed. Too
wide? Funny balance?

I haven't used dip pens since I was about ten - it sounds like a good way to
try a lot of different nibs, and use cloggy pigment inks.

Old August 19th 08, 10:48 PM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils
Jimmy

"online drifter" wrote in message
On Sun, 17 Aug 2008 23:45:18 +0100, "Jimmy" wrote:

snip

Caran D'ache Ecridor Fine. My goto pen when slim is in, nice weight
and flow for a fine is excellent.

Faber Castell Emotion Wood Fine for the times I wish to write with a
wide body pen.

Both are reasonable in price and have never let me down. Currentl both
are inked - black in the Caran, blue in the Faber.

Thanks for some more leads.

I have never tried either brand of pen. I have a Faber-Castell TK-Matic
clutch pencil from the 80s that is built like a watch... unscrew it, and
tiny gleaming components, turned brass and springs are revealed.

The Ecridor looks like quite an ergonomic slim little thing.

Old August 19th 08, 11:13 PM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils
Jimmy

"wolfy" wrote in message
On Aug 17, 5:45 pm, "Jimmy" wrote:
I have used for the last few months some dollar-store discoveries-I
bought 14 of them, they were so cheap and good.
No leaking. I will forgive any other minor things with them.
Occasionally, I have to shake it to get ink flowing smoothly, but it
holds up amazingly well with all the daily journaling I do.
The contest on the package ended 12/31/97-so these were not new items.
The cashier told me they were good and he bought some.
I went back and told hime he was right.
Wolfy

Sounds like what they call "NOS" on eBay (new old stock).

It's surprising what you can turn up. I got a modern Chinese pen for 5
pounds UK that writes nicely - "Fuliwen" I think it was called.

Old August 20th 08, 12:42 AM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils
Aaron W. Hsu[_3_]

"Jimmy" writes:

I've got a nice MontBlanc that I use at home, but since it's a discontinued
model, I don't like to risk losing it. I own a couple of the Phileas. It is
great value for money, with a smooth nib and generous flow. There is
something "off" about the shape though; it feels less than sure-footed. Too
wide? Funny balance?

Well, it felt fine to me, but definitely far worse than the MontBlanc
that I use. I really didn't pay too much attention to that, though, since
I didn't like the flow anyways.

Aaron

--
+++++++++++++++ ((lambda (x) (x x)) (lambda (x) (x x))) +++++++++++++++
Email: | WWW: http://www.sacrideo.us
Old August 20th 08, 10:52 PM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils
Matthew[_2_]

On 2008-08-18, Bluesea wrote:

I'm still enjoying the Kaweco Sports I got a few months ago in the various
colors. The EDs from Swisher are particularly nice because of the capacity
and visual enjoyment from watching the ink.

FWIW, I found fine nibs at http://www.shopwritersbloc.com/kaweco.html.

These are great little pens in the ED model from swisher. I
have one filled with some higgins eternal right now. It is a
nice pen/ink combo for me.

I also carry a platinum preppy ED with diamine registrars
ink. It is a nice, but dry, pen/ink combo. Thinking of getting
a new pen for this ink. The o-ring on the converted preppy's
gives me the meebs and I would like something more profesional.
Maybe a pelikan. I was leaning towards a lamy 2000, but I read
some comments that turned me away from that model. It is all
just a pipe dream now

I have carried hero 329's and have had no trouble with them at
all provided they were cleaned properly after inking. I haven't
had a lot of luck with the pilot 78g's, the exception being a
broad nibbed version.

Just bought myself a new "school pen", a new capless. I would
rather have a old one, but I think it will be just fine based
of bluesea's comments to me about the model.

matthew

Old August 21st 08, 02:13 AM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils
The Visitor

I roll my own. Well actually make my own. frome wood. They are cheap,
unique and work very well. I make extra and give them away. But not the
fountain pens. The won't get used. So I keep them for me. And they look
fantastic and work good.

And they are very cheap to make too!!

John

Jimmy wrote:
Hello everyone. Anyone at home here?

What do you like every day as a cheap, good fountain pen that doesn't need
to be insured, or carried around in cottonwool by a team of hired guards?

I was pleasantly surprised by the Sailor 1911 "Profit" 14K range. The medium
one, more like a European fine, is my favourite at the moment. It just
GLIDES. It has been my favourite for 6 weeks. I got a red one with black top
and tail. The "Music nib" one is disappointing though, always glitching. The
"B" one is nice enough, but nothing like the "M".

--
A Sailor in a sea of ink. Blue of course; what did you think?

Old August 22nd 08, 10:31 AM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils
Bluesea[_3_]

"Jimmy" wrote in message ...
"Bluesea" wrote in message

"Jimmy" wrote in message ...
What do you like every day as a cheap, good fountain pen......

(skip my quoted text)
I'm still enjoying the Kaweco Sports I got a few months ago in the
various colors. The EDs from Swisher are particularly nice because of the
capacity and visual enjoyment from watching the ink.

FWIW, I found fine nibs at http://www.shopwritersbloc.com/kaweco.html.

I had not even heard of Kaweko - thanks for the link, and I will take a
look at some. BTW, the Sailors hold hardly any ink, with smallish
cartridges and an even smaller converter. (Just carry two!)

Yes, I have a Sailor 1911M. I like it a lot, but I don't consider it a cheap
pen.

The Kaweco EDs from Swisher's hold 2.5 ml. The unmodified Kawecos use only
the short standard international cartridges that hold about .7 ml. So, if
you like a large ink capacity, get an ED while you can because Nathan Tardif
isn't modifying any more and once they're gone, they're gone:

http://www.swisherpens.com/catalog/c...untain-pen.htm

or, http://tinyurl.com/65vj98.

Amused by your 'nym; visualising a massive inkwell.

LOL. I never thought of that.

--
~~Bluesea~~
Spam is great in musubi, but not in email.

Old August 22nd 08, 10:34 AM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils
Bluesea[_3_]

"Jimmy" wrote in message ...

I've got a nice MontBlanc that I use at home, but since it's a
discontinued model, I don't like to risk losing it. I own a couple of the
Phileas. It is great value for money, with a smooth nib and generous flow.
There is something "off" about the shape though; it feels less than
sure-footed. Too wide? Funny balance?

The brass half-lining makes it disturbingly top-heavy for me. I later got
the Kultur which is balanced better although it's not as attractive.

Old August 22nd 08, 02:07 PM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils
Matthew[_2_]

On 2008-08-22, Bluesea wrote:

"Jimmy" wrote in message ...
What do you like every day as a cheap, good fountain pen......

(skip my quoted text)
I'm still enjoying the Kaweco Sports I got a few months ago in the
various colors. The EDs from Swisher are particularly nice because of the
capacity and visual enjoyment from watching the ink.

FWIW, I found fine nibs at http://www.shopwritersbloc.com/kaweco.html.

I had not even heard of Kaweko - thanks for the link, and I will take a
look at some. BTW, the Sailors hold hardly any ink, with smallish
cartridges and an even smaller converter. (Just carry two!)

Yes, I have a Sailor 1911M. I like it a lot, but I don't consider it a cheap
pen.

The naming conventions confuse me so much with the profit/1911
line from sailor. Not even sure what we are talking about.

matthew
Old August 22nd 08, 08:15 PM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils
Norman M. Schwartz

"Jimmy" wrote in message ...
Hello everyone. Anyone at home here?

What do you like every day as a cheap, good fountain pen that doesn't need
to be insured, or carried around in cottonwool by a team of hired guards?

I have a cheapie Pelikan Go! which I like very much, however since it seems
to be irreplaceable I might be better off carrying around my M1000. ;-)

opinions, please Lowell Kempton Coins 0 March 27th 06 06:56 PM
opinions, please xnt023 Coins 0 March 27th 06 06:35 PM
opinions, please Steve Ruud Coins 1 March 27th 06 03:54 PM
need some opinions, please Russell Coins 2 November 20th 04 05:53 PM
I need your opinions Greg Coins 24 January 1st 04 07:34 AM