Half Dollar size

Old January 11th 09, 06:27 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
[email protected]

Default Half Dollar size

Guys,

I asked this before, but, not really diretly. Is it a good idea to
propose changing the size, color, and thickness of the half dollar
coin, in my dog proposal? Or should I just rewrite the legislation, to
keep the same half dollar size, and color, and advocate the dog
designs to be put on the current sized half?

Also, if these things took off, and were really circulating (which I
doubt will happen, but...) did someone here, tell me that the
faceplates on vending machines only cost around 5 cents to replace? I
thought I heard that price here, or somewhere else, but I believe it
would cost at least a little more for that. If I could convince the
vending industry to retool their machines and put a slot big enough to
take the current size half, I would just advocate a design change,
instead of a full blown weight, size and color redesign.

I wrote a letter to NAMA, about the dog halves, the Louisiana/
Monticello $2 bills, and even though the vending industry likely would
not benefit from it much, I'm sending a copy of the $200, $500, and
$1,000 bill legislation, as well, to see if they are interested in
supporting all three bills. I did suggest that the vendors should not
waste time, upgrading their machines to take the $2isiana Purchase $2
bills, but to wait for a year later, to program their machines to take
the permenant Monticello design, that comes out a year after the
$2isiana bill one year program.

I know that the vending industry doesn't really like the half dollar,
but I'm willing to give it a try.
Old January 11th 09, 02:04 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Bruce Remick

wrote in message
Guys,

I asked this before, but, not really diretly. Is it a good idea to
propose changing the size, color, and thickness of the half dollar
coin, in my dog proposal? Or should I just rewrite the legislation, to
keep the same half dollar size, and color, and advocate the dog
designs to be put on the current sized half?

You're barking up a tall tree with your dog halves to begin with. Adding a
change in design and/or thickness would just about doom any chances of
anyone taking you seriously.

Also, if these things took off, and were really circulating (which I
doubt will happen, but...) did someone here, tell me that the
faceplates on vending machines only cost around 5 cents to replace? I
thought I heard that price here, or somewhere else, but I believe it
would cost at least a little more for that. If I could convince the
vending industry to retool their machines and put a slot big enough to
take the current size half, I would just advocate a design change,
instead of a full blown weight, size and color redesign.

If you could somehow provide firm documentation that configuring all their
machines to accept half dollars will result in increased sales, you may get
someone in the industry to listen to you. As for the design change, I
wouldn't trouble them with that proposal.

I wrote a letter to NAMA, about the dog halves, the Louisiana/
Monticello $2 bills, and even though the vending industry likely would
not benefit from it much, I'm sending a copy of the $200, $500, and
$1,000 bill legislation, as well, to see if they are interested in
supporting all three bills. I did suggest that the vendors should not
waste time, upgrading their machines to take the $2isiana Purchase $2
bills, but to wait for a year later, to program their machines to take
the permenant Monticello design, that comes out a year after the
$2isiana bill one year program.

If I were you, I'd stick with one proposal at a time. Research all aspects
of your proposal thoroughly and provide as much documented cost savings as
possible.

I know that the vending industry doesn't really like the half dollar,
but I'm willing to give it a try.

Your assignment then is to MAKE them like it.

Old January 11th 09, 11:01 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
RWF

"Bruce Remick" wrote in message

wrote in message
Guys,

I asked this before, but, not really diretly. Is it a good idea to
propose changing the size, color, and thickness of the half dollar
coin, in my dog proposal? Or should I just rewrite the legislation,
keep the same half dollar size, and color, and advocate the dog
designs to be put on the current sized half?

You're barking up a tall tree with your dog halves to begin with.
Adding a change in design and/or thickness would just about doom any
chances of anyone taking you seriously.

Do you honestly believe that anyone who is a recipient of his letters
takes him seriously in the first place?
The best Mnutt can hope for is a polite form letter thanking him for his
letter (which, of course, immediately thereafter is consigned to the
circular file).

Old January 12th 09, 01:35 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Bruce Remick

wrote in message
Guys,

I asked this before, but, not really diretly. Is it a good idea to
propose changing the size, color, and thickness of the half dollar
coin, in my dog proposal? Or should I just rewrite the legislation, to
keep the same half dollar size, and color, and advocate the dog
designs to be put on the current sized half?

You're barking up a tall tree with your dog halves to begin with. Adding
a change in design and/or thickness would just about doom any chances of
anyone taking you seriously.

Do you honestly believe that anyone who is a recipient of his letters
takes him seriously in the first place?
The best Mnutt can hope for is a polite form letter thanking him for his
letter (which, of course, immediately thereafter is consigned to the
circular file).

Hey, Democrats are in charge. Anything is possible. Somebody actually got
those (sigh) National Park quarters approved, with an apparent option for a
follow-up series in the out years. That should take care of MY lifetime.
Who let the dogs out?

Old January 12th 09, 01:59 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
RWF

"Bruce Remick" wrote in message
Hey, Democrats are in charge. Anything is possible.

After years of the GOP idiot poster boy Dubya, anything has got to be an
improvement.
Put don't blame me, I voted the straight Communist ticket again this
year!

Old January 12th 09, 02:10 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Bruce Remick

"RWF" wrote in message
"Bruce Remick" wrote in message
Hey, Democrats are in charge. Anything is possible.

After years of the GOP idiot poster boy Dubya, anything has got to be an
improvement.
Put don't blame me, I voted the straight Communist ticket again this year!

You voted?? What an optimist!

Old January 12th 09, 01:34 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
RWF

"RWF" wrote in message
"Bruce Remick" wrote in message
Hey, Democrats are in charge. Anything is possible.

After years of the GOP idiot poster boy Dubya, anything has got to be
an improvement.
Put don't blame me, I voted the straight Communist ticket again this
year!

You voted?? What an optimist!

If you don't vote, you can't complain about the gubmint.
Personally, I plan on writing my congressman about my plan for a 12.5¢
coin featuring little known bit players from Hollywood's golden era.

Old January 12th 09, 01:57 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Bruce Remick

"RWF" wrote in message
"Bruce Remick" wrote in message
Hey, Democrats are in charge. Anything is possible.

After years of the GOP idiot poster boy Dubya, anything has got to be an
improvement.
Put don't blame me, I voted the straight Communist ticket again this
year!

You voted?? What an optimist!

If you don't vote, you can't complain about the gubmint.

If it were only that simple. But I never read where non-voters couldn't
complain. Seems like they would have the most to complain about, especially
if they didn't like either of the candidates running.

Personally, I plan on writing my congressman about my plan for a 12.5¢
coin featuring little known bit players from Hollywood's golden era.

The key would be to use four 12½ cent stamps on the envelope. That would be
sure to get some attention. Keep in mind that there already are some little
known bit-players in Congress.

Old January 12th 09, 02:27 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Mr. Jaggers

"RWF" wrote in message
"Bruce Remick" wrote in message
Hey, Democrats are in charge. Anything is possible.

After years of the GOP idiot poster boy Dubya, anything has got to
be an improvement.
Put don't blame me, I voted the straight Communist ticket again this
year!

You voted?? What an optimist!

If you don't vote, you can't complain about the gubmint.
Personally, I plan on writing my congressman about my plan for a 12.5¢
coin featuring little known bit players from Hollywood's golden era.

How many folks here will pick up on that excellent pun?

James