Question: Can you ID these Canadian tokens?

Old July 20th 03, 03:30 AM
AhhhChoo

Default Question: Can you ID these Canadian tokens?

I just resumed my coin hobby that I started when I was a child (30
years ago!). I have a couple of Canadian tokens that I can't
reference, and I don't know where I can find the information. Some
pointers to where I can find some information on my own would be
great. Is there a FAQ for this group?

Anyway, I have two tokens that are puzzling me right now, maybe you
can ID them for me.

1. Front: 'Northwest Territories' (and again in French on bottom), has
the NWT crest and is approx. 1 and 1/4", obverse says 'Mount Avens
(and again in French on bottom) and has a flower of some kind
(provincial flower?), the material is bronze-like in color.

2. Front: 'New Brunswick' (and again in French on bottom), it has the
date 1867 and the NB crest, and is approx. 1 and 1/4". The obverse
says 'Purple Violet' (and again in French on bottom) and depicts a
purple violet, the material is bronze-like in color.
I doubt this is from 1867, as far as I can recall, the purple violet
was not made the provincial flower until around the 1940's.

I have a bunch of tokens I would like to ID but I don't know how, so
any pointer or tips you can give me would be great.

I would also like to know how to evaluate small run coins, I have a $1
coin that was legal tender in only one city. It was a momenterative
coin; the first 1000 had the date wrong!!! But I have one of them.

Also, and this may sound strange, but, I have a wooden nickel that was
legal tender in a nearby city for a festival, I got this in the 70's
and back then everyone knew not to accept 'wooden nickels'.

Any feedback would be great (minus the flames).