Coins found in family house

Old October 28th 03, 03:10 AM
bdelene

Default Coins found in family house

Hello,

Forgive me if this thread has been asked before, I usually don't post
to this newsgroup but my research is getting confusing. Recently, I
have been given this box full of old coins and asked what are good
prices to sell them (I'm asked because the in-law doesn't do well
with computers).

The most I have is several hundred mercury dimes, plus a few other
old coins. I started reading about the dimes and have separated them
into "D" mint, "S" mint, unreadable and no mint mark. (Thus concludes
my knowledge of coin collecting)

My question is, would it be best to take it to a coin dealer and let
them tell me which are valuable? Is so, which are the ones I can
trust as reputable? (I mean, is there a Coin Collecting Association
Group I should look for?)

Thanks.
-Bdelene
Old October 28th 03, 03:18 AM
Stujoe

bdelene spoke thusly...

My question is, would it be best to take it to a coin dealer and let
them tell me which are valuable?

Depends upon how much time you want to put into it. A Redbook might be
worth it but will take time to look up all the info. You already have
the coins sorted so that is a start.

I do have a couple of pages on my site that might help:

A general What's It Worth? page:
http://www.thestujoecollection.com/f...topic.php?t=26

A page on Mercury Dimes with links to Grading and Pricing info:
http://www.thestujoecollection.com/f...topic.php?t=29

(I have other US coins with similar information in other parts of the
"Virtual Museum" if you have other coins to look up.)

Is so, which are the ones I can
trust as reputable? (I mean, is there a Coin Collecting Association
Group I should look for?)

http://anamarket.money.org/States/index.html

http://www.pngdealers.com/public/dealerDirectory.cfm

are two organizations. You might get some hits from this group too.

Good luck and HTH.

--
Stujoe
The Stujoe Collection: Coin Grading, News, Forums and more...
Old October 28th 03, 03:23 AM
John III

This isn't a complete answer to your question but if you have any 1916-D
coins, those are quite valuable in almost all conditions. Not sure about
others, but you will most likely receive several other replies other than
mine. You can also search E-bay for completed items to check approx. values.
Good luck!

John III

om...

Old October 28th 03, 03:39 AM
Aladdin Sane

Try the PCGS on line price guide and save yourself the cost of the red book.

http://www.pcgs.com/prices/

--
*
/?\

A conclusion is simply the place
where you decided to stop thinking.
"Stujoe" wrote in message
t...
bdelene spoke thusly...

Old October 28th 03, 10:19 AM
Larry Louks

bdelene wrote:
I started reading about the dimes and have separated them into "D" mint,

"S" mint, unreadable and no mint mark.

As John III mentioned, the 1916-D is definitely the king of Mercury dimes.
It's worth several hundred dollars even if you can just barely make out the
mint mark and date, on up to thousands for a really well-detailed specimen.
Others in the series that command a higher price are the 1921 and 1921-D. In
general, the better a coin is, the more you can get for it.

Larry

Old October 28th 03, 11:10 AM
Alan & Erin Williams

Larry Louks wrote:

bdelene wrote:
I started reading about the dimes and have separated them into "D" mint,

"S" mint, unreadable and no mint mark.

As John III mentioned, the 1916-D is definitely the king of Mercury dimes.
It's worth several hundred dollars even if you can just barely make out the
mint mark and date, on up to thousands for a really well-detailed specimen.
Others in the series that command a higher price are the 1921 and 1921-D. In
general, the better a coin is, the more you can get for it.

Larry

For example, I am willing to pay you $8.00 for a 1938-S that looks 'like
new'. If it is worn so that the wings on the hat are flat and without
feathers, I will pay $0.80 for that same coin.

Alan
'needs a 1938-S'
Old October 28th 03, 01:48 PM
George D

Alan & Erin Williams wrote:

Alan
'needs a 1938-S'

email me your snail mail.....

--
George D
Phoenix, AZ

"A Native American grandfather was talking to his grandson about how he
felt. He said, I feel as if I have two wolves fighting in my heart. One
wolf is the vengeful, angry, violent one. The other wolf is the loving,
compassionate one. The grandson asked him, Which wolf will win the
fight in your heart? The grandfather answered, The one I feed."

Please use this address to mail me. Or remove the arizona in the link.
Remember there is no Arizona.

ALL emails incoming and outgoing are run thru Norton and AVG anti virus.

Old October 28th 03, 04:39 PM
Jerry Dennis

No need to ask for forgiveness. This is what we're here for; to discuss coins
and help others.

All of the responses provided are good. In a nutshell, here are the coins that
would command a higher premium, as indicated in the 2003 Redbook. As always,
the better the condition, the higher the value:

1916-D (the key)
1921
1921-D
1925-D
1926-S
1931-D

Errors:
1942, 2 over 1
1942-D 2 over 1

Most all of the rest may be considered "common dates." As always, other
posters will probably provide better information.

Jerry

US Territories and... Grandpa Coins 29 September 22nd 03 08:11 PM
Coin Talk Needs You Peter T Davis Coins 51 September 16th 03 01:19 AM
Coin grading/authentication services -- periodic post Linda Coins 6 August 8th 03 06:25 AM
Help on telling repro Linda Coins 11 July 30th 03 02:03 AM