How not to snipe

Old September 14th 03, 11:15 PM
George D

Default How not to snipe

This morning a auction for a AU58 FH Type one SLQ was going to close at 9:56 my time. I had been following the auction and
the coin would fit my wants very well.

So here I am watching and reloading. It hasn't moved since yesterday afternoon I want that coin. I am ready to put in a bid
high enough to get it. Expensive but a AU 58 full head IMHO is worth more and is more desirable than a 63 FH if it looks
right and this one looked right from what I could see.

10 minutes to go and I get ready to synchronize my clock with ebays. I was going to hit it at 1 minute to go, I don't try for
any closer than that as sometimes my connection slows down or something and I have to reconnect to ebay and that takes a
little time.

Wife comes into the room and says she hears water leaking - into the hall heater room I go and there is water on the floor
under the hot water tank. I shut off the incoming cold water, turn off the gas, check around to see what damage has been
done. It turns out that nothing is really wet, caught it just as it started. That is the good news, the bad news is I got
back to the computer 5 seconds before close of auction and no way to make a bid from scratch in that time.

It is now 3:00 I have replaced the heater, 2 trips to Home Depot, had to re-tighten a couple of water connections but
everything is back working again. First time I have done this with out help from a professional, I guess you are never to old
to learn new things.

--
George D
Phoenix, AZ

AAA, AARP, ANA, NRA, RCC ?+1, PIA, PIAAZ, GATF 85006-3032-18-4

The reward for a good deed is to have done it.

Please use this address to mail me. Or remove the arizona in the link.
Remember there is no Arizona.

ALL emails incoming and outgoing are run thru Norton and AVG anti virus.

Old September 14th 03, 11:53 PM
Jon

You don't need to try to synchronize your clock if you have a digital watch. Just reload the page within an hour of the end of
auction and see exactly what time the watch says when the page comes back up. Add the minutes and seconds that it says are left
before the end of the auction to the minutes and seconds on your watch. Reload a few more times before the end to make it stays
consistent. (The time it takes to reload the page can vary a bit) At the last 5 seconds place your bid. Works for me.
One more note- just because the winning bid says $142.50 doesn't mean that if you placed a bid of $142.51 in the last few
seconds you would have won. The winner could have put in $250.00 (for example) as his maximum but it will automatically close at
the next highest increment over the previous high bidder's maximum. Therefore make sure you place the absolute highest you are
willing to pay, not just a little over what the current high shows.

Old September 15th 03, 12:34 AM
George D

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3045819903

So here I am watching and reloading. It hasn't moved since yesterday
afternoon I want that coin. I am ready to put in a bid
high enough to get it. Expensive but a AU 58 full head IMHO is worth
more and is more desirable than a 63 FH if it looks
right and this one looked right from what I could see.

10 minutes to go and I get ready to synchronize my clock with ebays. I
was going to hit it at 1 minute to go, I don't try for
any closer than that as sometimes my connection slows down or
something and I have to reconnect to ebay and that takes a
little time.

Believe me the bid would have been high enough to win. : )

Old September 15th 03, 12:39 AM
George D

C. Urch wrote:
I feel your pain...Sounds as if you need a sniping program!

I haven't been buying that much the last many months. Sides that I kind of like to do it myself.

Old September 15th 03, 01:48 AM
Loooking4u

George
I use a sniping program that takes all the worry (and fun) out of sniping.
99% of the time it places the bid 5 seconds before the end of the auction.
There are a bunch out there so choose one that works for you.
Pete

Old September 15th 03, 02:28 AM
Paul

George,

Replacing a water heater on a Sunday (two trips to th' Depot) afternoon is
grounds for nomination the Home Handyman Hall of Fame! I applaud you!

Paul
Always takes 3 trips! One at 6:02.

Old September 15th 03, 02:48 AM
Stardancer

Gee, George, sorry to hear you did not get the coin - it sold for a bit less
than I paid for it.

Of course, you can always bid on my Type 2 ANACS AU 58 FH (see earlier post
for auction link).

Regards

Dan

Ebay username Coinenthusiast

Old September 15th 03, 03:27 AM
Aram H. Haroutunian

George D wrote:

[...]

It is probably no consolation, but I'll try to make you feel better.
The
1917 Type 1 Full Head Standing Liberty Quarter is one of the most
abundant
coins in the world. Virtually ALL of the 1917 T1's have full heads and
beautiful full strikes overall. If you find a T1 without a full strike,
that would be rare. That is what I have been led to believe, anyway.
Aram.
Old September 15th 03, 04:27 AM
George D

Paul wrote:
George,

Replacing a water heater on a Sunday (two trips to th' Depot) afternoon is
grounds for nomination the Home Handyman Hall of Fame! I applaud you!

Paul
Always takes 3 trips! One at 6:02.
"George D" wrote in message

Might still have that. I have a pinhole leak or should I say seep. In any case I will have to remove
the infeed line and tighten it with new teflon tape. Ain't happening tonight though.

sniping beta90 Coins 29 September 11th 03 11:48 PM
Ok, so I won't win this, Pilgrim Bill Krummel Coins 6 August 11th 03 08:05 PM
I love esnipe !!! rhodo chrosite Coins 4 August 7th 03 01:56 PM
best mis-spelled ebay item bargain you have gotten? Johndaigle1 Card discussions 5 July 25th 03 12:31 AM