Counterfeit Sac Auction

Old September 14th 03, 04:03 PM
Stujoe

Default Counterfeit Sac Auction

I don't remember seeing this posted here. This is supposed to be one
of the counterfeit Sackies that were in Ecudor (which have been
discussed here):

Too bad the pictures aren't better.

--
Stu Miller
Visit the Virtual Coin Museum (over 100 displays):
Old September 14th 03, 05:18 PM
Paul Baker

Is a collector in the U.S.A. allowed to buy one of these ?

The sac piece seems credible. I had heard them mentioned here before.

There are still a number of fake 1 Pound coins around here in England.

Thanks Mr Paul Baker

t...

Old September 14th 03, 05:35 PM
Steve

"Paul Baker" wrote in message
Is a collector in the U.S.A. allowed to buy one of these ?

The sac piece seems credible. I had heard them mentioned here before.

There are still a number of fake 1 Pound coins around here in England.

Thanks Mr Paul Baker

Technically, perhaps not; as a practical matter, it is not an issue. There
was an interesting article in the Sept 22 issue of Coin World by John Andrew
concerning the fake pound coins circulating in Britain. It took a brief look
at their manufacture, means of distribution, numbers possibly involved,
collector interest and law enforcement efforts to minimize their
manufacture. Seems most people that receive them just pass them on. An
interesting bit of info was that many of the "coins" have incorrect matings
of obverses, reverses and edges. As a collector of contemporary or period
counterfeits, I'd like to assemble a set of those, but being on the west
side of the pond, it's a bit difficult. Thanks to the kindness of a British
RCCer, I do have an obvious fake 1989 Scottish thistle reverse with the
correct edge inscrption, whereas the article states fakes inevitably bear
the "DECUS ET TUTAMEN" inscription.

Steve
remove spamtrap to reply

Old September 14th 03, 06:18 PM
John Long

On Sun, 14 Sep 2003 10:03:53 -0500, Stujoe
wrote:

I don't remember seeing this posted here. This is supposed to be one
of the counterfeit Sackies that were in Ecudor (which have been
discussed here):

Too bad the pictures aren't better.

Seeing dollar signs swirl around my head. Think I found a new
business scheme. Let me get this straight: if I pass the counterfeit
as a real dollar, I've got, at most, a dollar in value, and probably a
jail cell waiting for me somewhere down the line. But if I put it on
eBay and sell it as a "genuine counterfeit", I'll make a LOT more than
face value on it (13 times face value based on current bidding on the
auction). So I go to my garage and crank out a ton of these things
and put them up on eBay. As long as I call it what it is (a fake),
I'm legit. Something just doesn't seem right about this, if you ask
me.

John
Old September 14th 03, 07:14 PM
Nick Knight

In , on 09/14/2003
at 05:18 PM, John Long said:

Seeing dollar signs swirl around my head. Think I found a new business
scheme. Let me get this straight: if I pass the counterfeit as a real
dollar, I've got, at most, a dollar in value, and probably a jail cell
waiting for me somewhere down the line. But if I put it on eBay and sell
it as a "genuine counterfeit", I'll make a LOT more than face value on it
(13 times face value based on current bidding on the auction). So I go to
my garage and crank out a ton of these things and put them up on eBay. As
long as I call it what it is (a fake), I'm legit. Something just doesn't
seem right about this, if you ask me.

Big difference saying "it came from a guy in Ecudor" in explaining to
anyone, if they ask, how you came across the piece ... as opposed to
explaining "I make a couple hundred a day right here in my garage!". The SS
would surely be interested in a production, no matter how small-scale,
particularly if based right here in the good old US of A.

Then again, the minute the 4th or 5th or 20th fake hit eBay, the prices
would start dropping to where face value would probably make moer sense

Nick
Old September 14th 03, 10:42 PM
Art O'Connell

OK so what if I take a bunch of real SACs run them through the dryer or a
rock tumbler to mess the finish. Then I could sell them on ebay as
"potential counterfeits". Some crumby pictures and some vague words.

I have a friend from Columbia. I could get him to give me the SACs.

Notice: SACs from a South American Friend. Are they real? You be the judge.
Look at the picture and decide.

;-)

Art

Old September 14th 03, 10:48 PM
Alan & Erin Williams

Art O'Connell wrote:

OK so what if I take a bunch of real SACs run them through the dryer or a
rock tumbler to mess the finish. Then I could sell them on ebay as
"potential counterfeits". Some crumby pictures and some vague words.

I have a friend from Columbia. I could get him to give me the SACs.

Notice: SACs from a South American Friend. Are they real? You be the judge.
Look at the picture and decide.

;-)

"I AM NO EXPERT!" but you could well be onto something there. ;-)

Alan
'you grade/what you see is what you get/no returns/not valid in Illinois'

Old September 14th 03, 11:12 PM
Joe Fischer

:
: I have a friend from Columbia. I could get him to give me the SACs.
:
: Notice: SACs from a South American Friend. Are they real? You be the judge.
: Look at the picture and decide.

Apparently you did not go to law school, which
the judge will not consider an excuse for not knowing
that intent to defraud is a felony, whether by direct
fraud or by knowingly misrepresenting facts.

Joe Fischer

--
3
Old September 15th 03, 02:56 AM
Reid Goldsborough

On Sun, 14 Sep 2003 21:42:46 GMT, "Art O'Connell"
wrote:

OK so what if I take a bunch of real SACs run them through the dryer or a
rock tumbler to mess the finish. Then I could sell them on ebay as
"potential counterfeits". Some crumby pictures and some vague words.

I have a friend from Columbia. I could get him to give me the SACs.

Notice: SACs from a South American Friend. Are they real? You be the judge.
Look at the picture and decide.

;-)

Funny! But much of what some collectors find collectable is funny.
eBay has moved away somewhat from a haven for oddball collectibles,
but you can still find whacky stuff auctioned ... and people bidding.

--

Coin Collecting: Consumer Guide: http://rg.ancients.info/guide
Glomming: Coin Connoisseurship: http://rg.ancients.info/glom
Old September 15th 03, 03:41 PM
Art O'Connell

You mean I could have these auctions on ebay and then go to jail for it?
Would that be a Federal Prison? Can I bring my own golf clubs? Do they still
have tennis lessons? I want to work in the wood shop where Colson worked
during his Fed time. Do I sign up for that now?

Just joking around gang!

;-)

Art