Innovation in Fountain Pens

Old August 7th 03, 04:19 AM

Scaupaug wrote:
.. The parker
61 was not innovation? It is dead reliable in a jet as leak proof...yet it is
self filling.

You of all people should know there were many capillary fill pens before
the 61. The 61 was nothing really new. Just a rehash of a way old
idea. I had a Blains capalliry filler from about 1905 at one time.
same exact idea as the 61. Hard rubber, gold nib, and worked OK as
well.

Im waiting for someone to mention the VP, but again we all know many
retractable point self fillers were made in the 30s as well. So the VP
is another rehash too. Frank
Old August 7th 03, 08:57 AM
Jolyon Wright

I guess a lot of it depends on whether you're the buyer or the seller. If
you're the buyer then maybe that eyedropper works just fine so it aint
broke.

But if your job is to sell pens - it is *broke* because you need to sell
more so you have to "innovate". Perhaps from the manufacture's perspective
the main innovation has been making things disposable. This ensures that
regular pen users buy loads of pens.

Personally I hate this. I would rather have a couple of great pens that will
last than keep sweat shops in china endlessly churning.

jolyon

"Scaupaug" wrote in message
Is that anyting that makes a standard fontain pen more useful
or dependable for everyday NORMAL use? NO!!!!!!!! Frank

Hmmm...can't see how we had to move on from eyedroppers then. I don't

really
NEED anything beyond a basic eyedropper according to that logic. All the
following pens and designs from say, 1890 on - were just pointless.

Anyone have a 1957 Chevrolet? These modern cars don't cut it - just
gimmicks...new innovation never existed. :-) lolol

Old August 7th 03, 06:07 PM
kcat

On Wed, 06 Aug 2003 22:41:53 -0400, wrote:

Scaupaug wrote:

Hmmm...can't see how we had to move on from eyedroppers then. I don't really
NEED anything beyond a basic eyedropper according to that logic. All the
following pens and designs from say, 1890 on - were just pointless.

What you need isnt the thread. All I need is a Bic and thats all
anoyone really needs, if that.

on this - i have to disagree. ballpoints (and most other non-fp
writing instruments) require pressure on paper. FPs have been
invaluable in preventing the pain in my hands that simply can't be
avoided with a BP, RB or even a pencil. or a keyboard. If I never
want to write again without pain - then you're absolutely right - i
don't need any kind of pen. heck, I'm checking into DragonSpeak or
whatever it's called.

but if I want to write with minimal discomfort - and I do - then I
*need* a pen that flows without pressure to the paper. Thus far, i've
never seen anything but a fountain pen (and some well-designed dip
pens) that does that.** this is of course tangential to the initial
post. just thought I'd enlighten those who might think FPs are merely
frivolous tools (I understand, frank, that you do not view them as
such.) They do serve a purpose for some of us other than putting ink
on paper.

**in reviewing my words above - I did exclude felt-tip "markers" and
these do not require much pressure so my only reason for excluding
them is the crude lines they put down. So - if you want to be
completely AR about it - I could survive without a FP and still write
with a Sharpie. but, ick.
Old August 7th 03, 06:22 PM

William Bosner wrote:

I wonder if the Pelikan Level filling system can be considered an
innovation? In it's present form, it is a bit retrograde, but has the
potential to be a descent filling system. In my opinion, it needs a
simple method of opening the system so it can be flushed.

Its a innovation ONLY IF you consider anything different for the sake of
being diffeent an innoviation. BUT IS IT BETTER THAN ANY OTHER
FILLER? Of course not. Name the advantages and improvements it offers
over other fillers. Name the IMPROVEMENTS the Level offers that makes
the Level a better pen than pens of the 40s and 50s. Its a joke of a
filler in realistic terms. A "decent" filler (and I do not think the
Level is even that) is not a better filler nor an improvement. As I
said ink could be sold in pressurized cans and used to fill a pen like a
butane lighter. Maybe the pressure could help flush the ink even.
Nutty? Yup. Innovative? Sure! Could it be made to work? Easy.
Would some people buy it? PT Barnum was right. Would Pen World call it
a great advancement in pen? Sure if paid full page color ads for it ran
in the same issue. BUT Better than a standard time tested filler?
A true improvement in fountain pens? ROFL Noooooooo waaaaaaaaay.
Frank
Old August 7th 03, 06:24 PM
David Heverly

"marlinspike" wrote in message ...
"Scaupaug" wrote in message
news:20030806223032.24718.00001164@mb- Anyone have a 1957 Chevrolet? These
modern cars don't cut it - just
gimmicks...new innovation never existed. :-) lolol

Well.....IMHO, any car built from 1992 on is no good.
Richard

I take, in answer to my question, the development of the fountain pen
is at the end of it limits in terms of technology. I guess it's like
a chair. There may be innovations in terms of production methods,
materials, colors, shapes, etc, but the fundamentals are already
there. It boils down to a seat, a back and legs or a pedestal.
Period. Some designs are timeless. Others will fade away. But they
all boil down to those three elements.

In the matter of automobiles, innovations abound. Computer technology
is used to improve fuel mileage and driving stability. Hybrid and
alternative fuel vehicles are hitting the roads as I'm typing this.
And who know what the gnomes in the shops of Detroit, Tokyo and Munich
have in store for us.

Thanks for all the interesting answers and thoughts you folks
provided.

David
Who has been know to cause trouble before.
Old August 7th 03, 10:05 PM
marlinspike

wrote in message ...
As I said ink could be sold in pressurized cans and used to fill a pen like

butane lighter. Maybe the pressure could help flush the ink even.

The more you say this, the cooler it seems.
Anyways, couldn't it be argued that a piston is the best filler? I mean,
sure it doen't insulate as well, but I have never heard of the walls of a
pen deteriorating like a sac can.
Richard

Old August 7th 03, 10:08 PM
marlinspike

"kcat" wrote in message

i suppose but there's the MOMA chair that is unique and I think
innovative.

Either way the tempur-pedic chair is the best. Sure it's expensive, but
soooooo comfortable
Richard

Old August 7th 03, 10:09 PM
marlinspike

"David Heverly" wrote in message
In the matter of automobiles, innovations abound. Computer technology
is used to improve fuel mileage and driving stability. Hybrid and
alternative fuel vehicles are hitting the roads as I'm typing this.
And who know what the gnomes in the shops of Detroit, Tokyo and Munich
have in store for us.

All that's stuff is for softies, and, if you ask me, cars are getting worse
because of this whole new thing of "metrosexuals."
Richard

Old August 7th 03, 10:14 PM

marlinspike wrote:

Anyways, couldn't it be argued that a piston is the best filler? I mean,
sure it doen't insulate as well, but I have never heard of the walls of a
pen deteriorating like a sac can.

Couldnt it also be argued its one of the worse fillers? No insulation.
The slightest hairline crack means a major probable leak and a useless
pen. If you havent heard of the walls of a piston filler deteriorating
you havent heard much about some Omas pens.

So what about a sac going bad since piston gaskets go bad too? Frank

Anyone know anything about Leeds pen company? Gerald Martin Pens & Pencils 5 August 6th 03 05:05 AM
Pens for Sale Amy Lane Pens & Pencils 0 August 1st 03 05:21 AM
Columbus Yamazaki Celluloid Pens at Penspiration Now Richard Jarvis Pens & Pencils 0 July 22nd 03 04:20 PM
Why all good citizens should use fountain pens marlinspike Pens & Pencils 13 July 21st 03 07:10 AM
5 fountain pens for 10.00 UltraCollect Pens & Pencils 0 July 9th 03 07:55 AM