Needed: Ink Recommendations for Sheaffer Nonsense Fountain Pen!

Old June 9th 08, 10:07 PM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils
titanic cruise? I think not much safer on a ruby yacht

Default Needed: Ink Recommendations for Sheaffer Nonsense Fountain Pen!

FOOEY!!

I spilled ink on my computer. Will I have asdf creep?
Old June 10th 08, 12:08 AM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils
The Drunken Lord[_2_]

On Mon, 09 Jun 2008 10:37:07 +0000, MatthewK
wrote:

Gold nibs being better? That is surely personal bias.

I've got one pen with a gold nib and that pen is different--something
about it seems different. It's a Parker Duofold. I mean, I don't
think it's all that, but it is different.

But if I had my eyes closed, I don't know for sure I'd know the
different between that and a Waterman Phileas.
Old June 10th 08, 12:50 AM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils

wrote:
Gold nibs being better? That is surely personal bias.

I've got one pen with a gold nib and that pen is different--something
about it seems different. *It's a Parker Duofold. *I mean, I don't
think it's all that, but it is different.

But if I had my eyes closed, I don't know for sure I'd know the
different between that and a Waterman Phileas.

Duofold is a nice pen. Is yours one of the modern ones, or a vintage?
Old June 10th 08, 01:24 AM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils
MatthewK

On 2008-06-09, Brian Ketterling wrote:
In ,
MatthewK wrote:

(The 329 was used as an example...
...His old
postings as well as others led me to believe my statements are
correct.

8-O With all due respect, Matthew, I hope no one has hired you as a
statistician.

Brian

Hmmm...what are you talking about? That opinion was purely
opinion. The only time I mentioned statistics was in quality
control terms. As in statistical quality control, which I only
understand in laymans terms, insures quality/cheap mass
production.

Being you chose to quote the part about my respect for Frank I
think something else is at play.

By all means, educate me. I'm not being a smartass...I'm just a
dumbass really.

matthew
Old June 10th 08, 01:27 AM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils
MatthewK

wrote:

Gold nibs being better? That is surely personal bias.

I've got one pen with a gold nib and that pen is different--something
about it seems different. It's a Parker Duofold. I mean, I don't
think it's all that, but it is different.

But if I had my eyes closed, I don't know for sure I'd know the
different between that and a Waterman Phileas.

This seems more reasonable, partly because of context and it's
the afternoon for mme.

What karat are these nibs?

I wonder how much work hardening comes to play in this.

matthew
Old June 10th 08, 01:30 AM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils
MatthewK

On 2008-06-09, Bluesea wrote:

Please be careful about generalizing. Do you really mean that there aren't
ANY $400 pens that write when you want? Do you have the knowledge and
experience to back up that statement?

I disobeyed a great usenet rule and posted before I was fully
awake. I think many of my comments still stand that I clarified
in my last post.

Thanks for helping me clarify my thoughts. Your last statement
about great pens from $3- $300(?) dollars is a good
generalization.

matthew
Old June 10th 08, 04:33 AM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils
The Drunken Lord[_2_]

wrote:
Gold nibs being better? That is surely personal bias.

I've got one pen with a gold nib and that pen is different--something
about it seems different. *It's a Parker Duofold. *I mean, I don't
think it's all that, but it is different.

But if I had my eyes closed, I don't know for sure I'd know the
different between that and a Waterman Phileas.

Duofold is a nice pen. Is yours one of the modern ones, or a vintage?

Modern, I think, but it's kind of old--about 30 years old, I think.
Maybe that's vintage. I was thinking of vintage as 20s stuff. Yeah,
it's a decent pen somebody gave me.

If you could get the things for $5 each, I'd probably have about 10 of
them.
Old June 10th 08, 04:49 AM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils
The Drunken Lord[_2_]

wrote:

Gold nibs being better? That is surely personal bias.

I've got one pen with a gold nib and that pen is different--something
about it seems different. It's a Parker Duofold. I mean, I don't
think it's all that, but it is different.

But if I had my eyes closed, I don't know for sure I'd know the
different between that and a Waterman Phileas.

This seems more reasonable, partly because of context and it's
the afternoon for mme.

What karat are these nibs?

It doesn't have the karat listed on the nib--at least not visible.
For all I know, it could be gold plate. But it looks gold, doesn't
tarnish, and it seems to write a little bit different than the nongold

Old June 10th 08, 05:10 AM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils
The Drunken Lord[_2_]

On Tue, 10 Jun 2008 00:24:48 +0000, MatthewK
wrote:

By all means, educate me. I'm not being a smartass...I'm just a
dumbass really.

When we're using the term, "dumbass", we need to define what we mean
by the term, because there are ordinary dumbasses and there are "FPN
dumbasses". FPN dumbasses are dumbasses of a higher order and
magnitude--we're talking exponential--than an ordinary dumbass.

Let's just say that until you type out a post about your plans to put
some ink in the microwave or until you type out a post where you
explain how you've discovered that ink has staining properties--until
you work hard enough to display that kind of stupidity, the kind of
stupidity that is commonplace on FPN, until then, I propose that the
members of the forum do not consider you a dumbass. You haven't yet
earned the title.

I agree with your basic idea, that cheap pens are just as good. Thing
is, I don't have any $2,000 pens around here to compare them with. I
do have a duofold, and I don't know how much that is worth. It has a
gold nib and writes maybe--not really sure--maybe better, a little
better--smoother or something--but like I said, if I were blindfolded,
I don't know that I'd know the difference between that pen and a
Phileas.

Aurora inks make a pen seem much smoother too, about as smooth as
mother****ing silk. And Omas blue ink makes nibs seems scratchy.

I wonder what they put in aurora to make it like that. You know,
there are recipes all over the place for iron gall inks, but as far as
I know, we don't have much of a clue about what Nathan and PR and
Diamine are putting in their inks other than aniline dyes.

I've tried ink jet ink in pens, and it just gushes out and feathers
all over the place.
Old June 10th 08, 09:36 AM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils
Inspiring Discovery

wrote:
Gold nibs being better? That is surely personal bias.

I've got one pen with a gold nib and that pen is different--something
about it seems different. *It's a Parker Duofold. *I mean, I don't
think it's all that, but it is different.

There are Duofolds from the 20's and early 30's... there are British
and Danish Duofolds from the 50's and 60's (much smaller).... and
there are "modern" duofolds from the 70's (?) on up. Yours sounds like
a modern, and it would have an 18k nib.