dip pens

Old June 4th 08, 04:23 AM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils
Aaron Hsu[_3_]

Default dip pens

On 2008-06-02, Aaron Hsu wrote:
MatthewK wrote:

Thanks for all the great replies group. I'm definately headed
in the right direction now.

I'd love to hear your thoughts on your dip pens, what you buy, and how
they turn out for you!

Well, it looks like I might be buying some nibs and just ink. I
found some old speedball calligraphy stuff from when I was a
kid. I'll probably post something here when I get a chance
to test them out.

My main interest is in italic forms and I would like to devote
some time to renisance italic in the future. I think if I want
to do fancy stuff I'll order a brush pen...then again
spencerian may be in my future yet.

If you want to do real Spencerian, it is absolutely essential that you
get the right pen. :-) Spencerian, unliike some of the forms, is not
done with a broad tip, but only work properly with a truly flexible
sharp nib, and I would say that the finer the better. Although, you can
also start with monoline Spencerian if you just want to practice the
forms, and then "move up" to shading.

--
Aaron Hsu | Jabber:
``Government is the great fiction through which everybody endeavors to
Old June 6th 08, 06:07 AM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils
MatthewK

On 2008-05-27, The Drunken Lord wrote:
On Tue, 27 May 2008 16:49:34 +0000, MatthewK
wrote:

Who plays with dip pens and what is a good way to get started
equpment wise?

I recommend Speedball and I use the italic C-4 and C-5 nibs. I've
used other nibs, but the Speedball nibs have this thing on that holds
ink pretty good, more ink than the ones that don't. I've tried at
least a few dozen other nibs. As far as the italic--it's the only
kind of point I use because it seems to make my handwriting more
readable--but they make all kinds of speedball nibs.

I recently found all my old speedball stuff from when I was a
kid. I've been playing around some and can't believe I ever
quit back then,

As far as ink, I recommend the Bombay inks. I'd get the regular blue
and grass green. Orange is good. And some of the reds look good as
well--the green is not green and the blue greens all look about the
same to me--get a white from somewhere--I'm using Bombay white. I've
used the Higgins inks too, and no problem with those. Regular
fountain pen inks also do pretty good.

Are the the "Dr. Martin Bombay inks"?

matthew

Old June 6th 08, 06:09 AM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils
MatthewK

On 2008-06-02, Aaron Hsu wrote:
MatthewK wrote:

My main interest is in italic forms and I would like to devote
some time to renisance italic in the future. I think if I want
to do fancy stuff I'll order a brush pen...then again
spencerian may be in my future yet.

If you want to do real Spencerian, it is absolutely essential that you
get the right pen. :-) Spencerian, unliike some of the forms, is not
done with a broad tip, but only work properly with a truly flexible
sharp nib, and I would say that the finer the better. Although, you can
also start with monoline Spencerian if you just want to practice the
forms, and then "move up" to shading.

Yeah, I know exactly what your talkinga about. I can't think of
the site now but I'm sure you know it. It has video tutorials
on copperplate and spencerian and some old manuals in pdf
format. Amazing stuff really.

matthew

Old June 6th 08, 06:11 AM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils
MatthewK

On 2008-05-27, Aaron Hsu wrote:
MatthewK wrote:

Who plays with dip pens and what is a good way to get started
equpment wise?

I use dip pens for most of my personal correspondence.

This will probably be my use as well as to spice up practice.

I know that places sell bags of assorted nibs, and you can then get a
holder for those nibs and just switch and mix until you find something
that you like.

It seems like $15 a pendemonium would do me well here.

As for ink, well, you can find just about anything that you want out
there for dip pens, and dip pens can take all sorts of ink, so go crazy
there. My favorite for letter writing right now is Encre Authentique
which holds up really well in weather and international mail systems.

Thanks, as far as inks go I've been using diamine registrar's
ink to address envelopes. So far, so good.

matthew

p.s. as far as I can tell, I'll just be purchasing dip
pens/ink. I can get a good setup/color asortment for 4 bottles
of fp ink...that will help me get my color fix
Old June 6th 08, 07:26 AM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils
The Drunken Lord[_2_]

On Fri, 06 Jun 2008 05:11:23 +0000, MatthewK
wrote:

p.s. as far as I can tell, I'll just be purchasing dip
pens/ink. I can get a good setup/color asortment for 4 bottles
of fp ink...that will help me get my color fix

Matthew, I'm not an expert on dip pens, but lemme remind you of two
things I think I've already told you.

One, I think dip pens that have a reservoir is the way to go because

1. the ones that don't, you're dipping every other word
2. the ones that don't, I get blobs all over the place, maybe because
i'm dipping so much, or so often.

There are kinds other than speedball that have reservoirs, but I don't
know what they are.

The second thing is, I can use fountain pen ink in my fountain pens.
The door to a bunch more stuff is open if you use dip pens--namely,
permanent, bright colors, and these inks--some of them at least--are a
lot cheaper than fountain pen ink.

I heard so much about Jackson stubs on FPN I had to have one and I got
one and wrote two or three lines with it and chunked it in some
drawer.
Old June 6th 08, 07:30 AM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils
The Drunken Lord[_2_]

On Fri, 06 Jun 2008 05:07:29 +0000, MatthewK
wrote:

Are the the "Dr. Martin Bombay inks"?

Yeah, that's it. You can get them at Hobby Lobby or from a bunch of
places on the internet. I got mine from misterart.com.

There are also Higgins inks, but I like Bombay better. Water doesn't
touch the Bombay inks, and the Higgins will wash a little--but just a
little.

Those are two cheap brands. A bottle is like $3.00.

I tried Speedball acrylic ink and didn't like it.
Old June 6th 08, 10:03 PM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils
Bluesea[_3_]

"The Drunken Lord" wrote in message
[...]

I tried a dip pen several years ago and stuck it in a drawer thinking
there's a technique I need to learn before it'll be enjoyable for me. I
still haven't looked into it. Is there a technique for using dip pens? All I
did was dip the nib into the ink at varying depths, sometimes touching the
point to the bottle to get rid of the excess.

Maybe what I need is a reservoir pen.

--
~~Bluesea~~
Spam is great in musubi, but not in email.

Old June 7th 08, 05:05 AM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils
The Drunken Lord[_2_]

On Fri, 6 Jun 2008 16:03:29 -0500, "Bluesea"
wrote:

I tried a dip pen several years ago and stuck it in a drawer thinking
there's a technique I need to learn before it'll be enjoyable for me. I
still haven't looked into it. Is there a technique for using dip pens? All I
did was dip the nib into the ink at varying depths, sometimes touching the
point to the bottle to get rid of the excess.

Maybe what I need is a reservoir pen.

Those ****nuts on FPN don't use speedball nibs. They go for those
Esterbrooks. And some of the FPN'ers write pretty well with them.

But I'd never use a dip pen if I couldn't have one with a
reservoir--too much dipping. I got some C-4 and C-5 nibs recently,
some new ones, and they were pretty sharp, maybe a little too
sharp--or maybe I was just using cheap paper they kept getting hung up
on.

Speedball is also not the only kind that has reservoirs, but I think
it's the only kind currently made.
Old June 7th 08, 08:07 AM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils
Brian Ketterling

In ,
Bluesea wrote:

I tried a dip pen several years ago and stuck it in a drawer thinking
there's a technique I need to learn before it'll be enjoyable for me...

Maybe what I need is a reservoir pen.

A while back, in a jumble of dip pens I bought on eBay (containing the
Esterbrook "Dip-Less" I wanted), I found several holders with FP-style HR
feeds, and a little ink space in the handles behind the feeds. Something
like that might work for you -- I wonder whether anyone makes them anymore.
(Am I describing a "reservoir pen", BTW?)

Brian

Old June 7th 08, 01:29 PM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils
The Drunken Lord[_2_]

On Sat, 7 Jun 2008 03:07:49 -0400, "Brian Ketterling"
wrote:

In ,
Bluesea wrote:

I tried a dip pen several years ago and stuck it in a drawer thinking
there's a technique I need to learn before it'll be enjoyable for me...

Maybe what I need is a reservoir pen.

A while back, in a jumble of dip pens I bought on eBay (containing the
Esterbrook "Dip-Less" I wanted), I found several holders with FP-style HR
feeds, and a little ink space in the handles behind the feeds. Something
like that might work for you -- I wonder whether anyone makes them anymore.
(Am I describing a "reservoir pen", BTW?)

It sounds like you are. And I don't know if there's a such thing as a
"rervoir pen" or not. The way you described it--a "feed"--this is the
term people generally use. I've just used the term reservoir here
because it was all I could think of when I was typing.

Pens & More travismore Pens & Pencils 0 September 5th 05 05:59 PM
Kaweco Modified Eyedropper Fountain Pens Now Available @ Swisher Pens Chuck Swisher Pens & Pencils 3 June 10th 05 04:54 AM
Santa Fe Pens in New Mexico / 'Santa Fe Pens VII' LE Pen [email protected] Pens & Pencils 0 March 9th 05 08:49 PM
New Pens FS KidderStanley Pens & Pencils 0 January 20th 04 04:58 AM
more vintage pens to pick from here are some great buy inc montblanc pens Max Davis Pens & Pencils 0 December 2nd 03 10:32 PM