Waternan Hemisphere Problems

Old January 15th 07, 10:13 PM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils
Juhapekka Tolvanen

Default Waternan Hemisphere Problems

"B Landolf" writes:

AndyH wrote:

I thought that the ink might not suit the pen so I cleaned it out,
dried the pen and refilled with Mont Blanc black, an ink that is not
reknowned for being a good one in the reviews.

Hi Andy---It seems to be in vogue to bash MB. There's nothing wrong
with MB inks.

What you think about these reviews?

http://www.marcuslink.com/pens/ink/montblanc.htm

http://freenet-homepage.de/pensninks...ter%20Ink.html

http://freenet-homepage.de/pensninks...ngs%20Ink.html

http://freenet-homepage.de/pensninks...c%20Sepia.html

http://www.fountainpennetwork.com/fo...showtopic=7910

There is something wrong with some Montblanc inks, but I still find some
of them interesting, at least that Racing Green. *DROOL*

They tend to flow slower than some, but they're good inks. I've used
MB inks for years and have never gotten a bad bottle (e.g., mold,
slime, stuff precipitating out of solution). Can't say that about many
other brands including a couple that are really popular in some
on-line pen communities.

BTW, MB's Blue-Black is fantastic in free-flowing vintage pens.

That is iron gall ink. It is not very eternal ink. It will slowly eat
paper. After many years you'll have that paper filled with holes and
those holes are in the shape of those letters you wrote.

The review that I have read gave higher marks to the Waterman than to
Mont Blancs!

Again, it's in vogue to bash MBs. I don't have many of them (half a
dozen or so) , but those that I do own work well.

Have you ever had problem called "Montblanc bomb"? Have you ever had ink
in gripping section?

http://faculty.haas.berkeley.edu/rjm...s/montblan.htm

http://www.canit.se/~griffon/writing...blanc_149.html

If I were rich man, I would buy some Montblanc Meisterstück 149
-fountain pen, but I would not carry it on my pocket or backpack. I
would keep it on a pen cup. I would use it only when writing in front of
my table.

--
Juhapekka "naula" Tolvanen * http colon slash slash iki dot fi slash juhtolv
"Yhtälailla säälittävä olen niin kuin muutkin, yksinäinen jos et tuu ja jos
Old January 16th 07, 12:09 AM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils
BL

Juhapekka Tolvanen wrote:

What you think about these reviews?

Well, the first thing that occurred to me was that I wish I had **that
much** discretionary time on my hands.

There is something wrong with some Montblanc inks,
but I still find some of them interesting, at least
that Racing Green. *DROOL*

Wrong in what sense? I've been a member of a couple of
listserves/newsgroups (particularly Zoss and acpp)for 10 years of so,
and I've never run across any reports of mold or anything like that in
MB ink. Some people may find this or that color too washed out or this
or that color too slow flowing in their pen(s), but that doesn't mean
it's bad ink. The on-line pen community doesn't give Quink
particularly high marks either, but it's darn good ink. Some inks are
poorly made, though. For example, OMAS's Blue-Black, now discontinued,
which could double as joint compound. Something would precipitate out
of that ink and form globs of gelatinous crud that would harden as it
dried. Bad stuff. I still have a couple of bottles of it if you're
building a house and need something to seal the walls of the basement.

That is iron gall ink. It is not very eternal ink.
It will slowly eat paper. After many years you'll
have that paper filled with holes and those holes
are in the shape of those letters you wrote.

Well, you know, there are many, many documents that were written in
iron gall ink that have survived for centuries. MB's iron gall ink
isn't exactly the same as the old iron gall you mention in your post,
so it will probably fare better. But, frankly, who cares. There's
nothing I'm writing now (including published professional writing)
that will be of any interest to anyone hundreds of years from now. If
I wanted it to survive that long, I wouldn't write it on paper... I'd
chisel it into stone or somethin'.

Have you ever had problem called "Montblanc bomb"?
Have you ever had ink in gripping section?

Not at all. As I mentioned earlier, the Boehme's been filled
continuously for several years, and it has always behaved itself. None
of my other MBs have done that either. The author of that post you
linked to should have had someone take a look at the cap of his 149 to
see what was up with it. Sounds like a problem with air equalization
or something (maybe plugged vents?). MBs aren't the only pens that
ooze ink onto the nibs. Pelikans also do this. Occasionally cleaning
the inside of the cap with a damp cloth to clear out any ink that's
dried in there helps. The Waterman Edson, btw, is known to lose the
gold plating on metal V shaped piece that's attached to the section.

If I were rich man, I would buy some Montblanc
Meisterstück 149 -fountain pen, but I would not
carry it on my pocket or backpack. I would keep it
on a pen cup. I would use it only when writing in
front of my table.

The 149 is too big for me. The Boehme travels with me all the time. I
love the thing. It's not perfect, and like most modern pens it's
overpriced, but it's a nice little pen. If I had to choose between it
and a Parker 51 Demi, I'd choose the Demi. If I had to choose between
it and a Pilot Capless Decimo, I'd choose the Decimo. But if I had to
choose between the Boehme and a bunch of other pens in it's price
range, I'd probably go with the Boehme. -- B

Old January 16th 07, 08:27 AM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils
Brian Ketterling

j ` f [approximately] wrote:
"AndyH" wrote:

[Every brand of pen does not] recommend the use of [any other brand] of

ink...
...they [will propel flaming nib-shrapnel into your face].

Funny thing, when they were separate companies they used to say that
about each other -- Parker's Solv-X would destroy your Waterman and
Waterman's Acetone would melt your Parker.

Solv-X might get the ink flowing in your Waterman... but seriously: Waterman
ink has _acetone_ in it?? Actually, that couldn't be good for a "21" hood.

Brian

Old January 16th 07, 08:39 AM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils
Brian Ketterling

BL wrote:
...The Waterman Edson, btw, is known to lose the
gold plating on metal V shaped piece that's attached to the section.

Mmm... and I've been forewarned by a reviewer that my Waterman Harmonie can
lose the gold plating on the clip. Together with the gunked-up feed I got,
it's starting to sound like the Waterman factory has hygiene issues.

Brian

Old January 16th 07, 01:08 PM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils
Bluesea

"Juhapekka Tolvanen" wrote in message

That is iron gall ink. It is not very eternal ink. It will slowly eat
paper. After many years you'll have that paper filled with holes and
those holes are in the shape of those letters you wrote.

True disappearing ink!

--
~~Bluesea~~

Old January 16th 07, 01:19 PM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils
Bluesea

"j ` f" wrote in message

Montblanc is the company it is fashionable to hate. They make a good
pen. Not the "best" and not the "worst"; not the most expensive, and by
far not the cheapest. They have a very active P.R. department and very
sleek advertising.

Is it fashion or is it personal opinion? As for myself, I've never had
compunctions dissing any co. with better PR than quality for the price.

--
~~Bluesea~~

Old January 16th 07, 03:18 PM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils
Curtis L. Russell

On Mon, 15 Jan 2007 23:09:30 GMT, "BL"
wrote:

But, frankly, who cares. There's
nothing I'm writing now (including published professional writing)
that will be of any interest to anyone hundreds of years from now. If
I wanted it to survive that long, I wouldn't write it on paper... I'd
chisel it into stone or somethin'.

When the time comes, I have a couple of pens that might do the job.
Paper flinches when they come near. I only keep them in case I'm
attacked by lawyers.

Curtis L. Russell
Odenton, MD (USA)
Just someone on two wheels...
Old January 16th 07, 04:52 PM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils
BL

Curtis L. Russell wrote:

"BL" wrote:
If I wanted it to survive that long, I wouldn't
write it on paper... I'd chisel it into stone or somethin'.

When the time comes, I have a couple of pens that
might do the job. Paper flinches when they come
near. I only keep them in case I'm attacked by
lawyers.

By any chance, would one of those be a Rotring 600? -- B

Old January 17th 07, 12:08 AM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils
AndyH

I have soaked the nib section in clean water overnight and and jiggled
it about. After refilling with Quink black it appears to write OK
again. Writing in a soft stroking manner now puts ink on the page
whereas it did not before, and this is on cheap A4 copier paper.

I have learnt some lessons here.

Always ask people to give you the receipt with xmas presents
Don't assume all inks to be the same except in colour (from comments of
contributors and not from what Parker has said).

The topic has also raised a question: -

--IF-- this pen is covered by a lifetime guarantee, why does the
manufacturer need to see the warranty paperwork, surely it is covered
no matter how old it is? ;-)

Thanks again for the insights that you have all provided.

Take Care

Andy

Old January 17th 07, 12:41 AM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils
Harry F. Leopold

On Mon, 15 Jan 2007 12:01:30 -0600, B Landolf wrote
(in article _jPqh.6127$Gj5.5485@trnddc01):

Snip

If you still had the receipt I'd recommend you send the pen back for a refund

and then get something like a Pelikan 200. Might not look as nice as the
Hemisphere, but at least it would write.

The 200 Pelikan is a great little pen, between Diane and I we own 3 of them.
Very good daily use pens, yet nice enough to carry just about anywhere though
I don't use them quite as much as I used to, too many other great older pens
on hand. (And I seem to be rapidly worsening that "problem" by picking up
several more vintage pens. ;-)

I would say that the only thing I could possibly have against the 200 is that
they are modern pens, I like pens mostly from the 1920's to the late 40's.
One of these days I need to get myself a nice vintage Pelikan, the 140 looks
like a nice one, though there are several other possibilities.

And I need to find a nice user Parker 51 aerometric with a fine nib.

And then there is that ...
--
Harry F. Leopold
aa #2076

Campus Crusade for Cthulhu

Int'l (short) cartridges won't fit in Waterman Hemisphere [email protected] Pens & Pencils 5 August 13th 06 10:24 AM
Waterman Hemisphere opinions? RPJ Pens & Pencils 3 July 26th 06 01:05 AM
Ebay problems? Sue H Autographs 9 December 21st 05 03:20 AM
Wurlitzer 3400 problems Bob E. Juke Boxes 4 August 21st 03 05:19 AM
Rowe CD100 problems... something new KLR Juke Boxes 1 June 29th 03 09:51 AM