How Things Have Changed

Old October 3rd 05, 10:57 PM
KCat

"*david*" wrote in message
oups.com...
I suspect ink colours are not stable enough from batch to batch to give
them a Pantone number - but I feel somewhat the same way.
Then again, how do you write a description that everybody will
interpret the same way? Pretty hard to do.

Saguaro Wine: aka - sorta pink, sorta red, ever so slightly leaning toward
purple, not as purple as Herbin's Rose Cyclamen.
Squeteague (one of my favorites) - well, it's greenish-grey with enough blue
to be almost teal.

yeah - this would be fun.

I believe the issue of inks relative to Pantone colors has been discussed
before and ruled out in terms of practicality. we must also remember that
FP inks look different in different pens, on different papers, etc. so
trying to fit them to Pantone values would, IMO, be not only impractical,
but useless. i guess you could do it - but don't be surprised if a color
guru says "HUH??? this looks nothing like...." when they use it in their dry
writing VP vs. a wet line from a Pelikan.

Old October 3rd 05, 11:36 PM
Jeff Miars

Sonam Dasara wrote:
On Mon, 03 Oct 2005 01:27:10 GMT, Noodler typed:

*bad taste* (Tiananmen, Iraqi

Indigo...).

Personally I could care less about the implications of what fanciful
names you name your inks.

I really enjoy people who say they could care less, but couldn't.
Old October 4th 05, 12:52 AM
Juhapekka Tolvanen

"KCat" writes:

"*david*" wrote in message
oups.com...

Then again, how do you write a description that everybody will
interpret the same way? Pretty hard to do.

Saguaro Wine: aka - sorta pink, sorta red, ever so slightly leaning
toward purple, not as purple as Herbin's Rose Cyclamen.

Squeteague (one of my favorites) - well, it's greenish-grey with
enough blue to be almost teal.

Here are more examples:

http://www.pendemonium.com/ink_facts.htm

Have fun!

--
Juhapekka "naula" Tolvanen * http colon slash slash iki dot fi slash juhtolv
"Pahat enteet hiljaisuuden kaiken täyttää. Niin tuskaisen läsnä joka hetki,
Old October 4th 05, 01:52 AM
Bruce

Nathan,

Speaking about Iraqi Indigo....

I stumbled across a review of that ink on a forum where the poster had
placed a scanned image. His sample seemed WAY more vibrant and purple than
the swatch on your website.....

So now I wonder which it is.

I also noticed that the photo of Legal Lapis appears much more blue on the
paper in water than your other examples.

I suppose the next logical question is, do you ever send out sample
swatches?

Thanks,

Bruce

Old October 4th 05, 03:11 AM
Juhapekka Tolvanen

Bruce writes:

I also noticed that the photo of Legal Lapis appears much more blue on
the paper in water than your other examples.

It is really pain in the ass to figure out how different fountain pen
inks really look like, if all you have are color maps in WWW.

I suppose the next logical question is, do you ever send out sample
swatches?

If he says no, then you may be interested in this book:

http://www.inksampler.com/

It is quite expensive, though.

Old October 4th 05, 04:04 AM
Nellie Paris

On Tue, 04 Oct 2005 00:52:28 GMT, Bruce wrote:

Nathan,

Speaking about Iraqi Indigo....

I stumbled across a review of that ink on a forum where the poster had
placed a scanned image. His sample seemed WAY more vibrant and purple than
the swatch on your website.....

So now I wonder which it is.

I also noticed that the photo of Legal Lapis appears much more blue on the
paper in water than your other examples.

I suppose the next logical question is, do you ever send out sample
swatches?

MY Legal Lapis is a dark turquoise, a bit like Blue Suede, very
different from my first bottle of LL which was more of a blue black.
I enjoy variations and love almost any color, so I have no complaints
as long as there is not mold.

Nellie Paris
Old October 4th 05, 04:17 AM
*david*

Basically, same for me. I would love it if every colour of ink from
every manufacturer were predictable, and samples on paper easily
available, but it just isn't going to happen. I especially expect
colour changes from smaller and newer manufacturers, who may modify
their formulas often. I think I remember some circumstance forcing a
serious formula change in LL at some point.

I may quibble about Noodler's advertising, but have never been
disappointed with the ink quality. (Though it took me a while to get
used to his idea of "blue"!) :-)

Old October 4th 05, 04:29 AM
Patrick Lamb

On 2 Oct 2005 10:38:37 -0700, "*david*" wrote:
Juan wrote:
Today, we have brown ink for that aged effect, but then it seems that
people want their documents to stay in pristine conditions for decades.
This is a strange world, huh?

Absolutely. I'm sure the people who wrote those special old documents,
that we now see as pleasantly aged, were always trying for the darkest
most permanent black ink and the brightest, sharpest, smoothest white
paper they could get, and wanted their documents to stay in pristine
condition for decades also. I don't understand the wish for ink that
gives an aged effect, except for use in movies and so on.

(Barely pens and ink)

I tried to inject a bit of realism into a show a few years ago,
arguing that precise point with the props person. Strangely, nobody
would believe me. No, since this opera took place in the 18th
century, the paper had to look like it was 18th century, which
everybody knows is an aged brown. Want a goose quill? Not big
enough. An antique, glass inkwell? ditto.

We HAD to do the show with large sheets of paper, aged to look like
the reproduction Constitution or Declaration of Independence you can
buy in D.C. or Philadelphia. Where writing needed to be on the paper,
it was added with a ballpoint pen. The props on stage always included
a huge brass thing (it was supposed to be an inkwell, could have been
a chewing tobacco humidor from the size of it), and a mammoth plumed
ostrich feather quill.

Pat

Email address works as is.
Old October 4th 05, 05:59 AM
*david*

Well, that's opera though - the audience impression is more important
than truly realistic props. Many of the singers aren't very realistic
examples themselves. :-)

Old October 4th 05, 08:23 AM
Noodler

"Contract" inks were a little more advanced than the "Eternals" in resisting
certain chemical/stain lifters and carpet cleaning solutions a little over a
year ago (very early runs of legal lapis mentioned "contract ink" on the
label as it is in that family of inks). That difference now only is used
due to the difference in ink colors mentioned in certain statutes in certain
counties that concerned contract law (now, there are some lawyers who are in
these counties and some who are not...so please don't disparage my post if
you happen to be one of those people who have no such "blue law" - pardon
the pun). In some places blue ink is requested to sign a contract, such as
a mortgage. Something about a genuine original document vrs. a copy...and
photo copies in black and white that did not pick up the color blue, etc...

Black has withstood EXTREMELY brutal tests involving UV light exposures that
burned up paper, made it flake, and in general were far beyond what one
would expect even in Death Valley. Even tried lasers combined with acids
to etch it off cellulose surfaces it had been allowed to set upon. It's
one of the reasons I reserve the "bulletproof" name for it on the label -
more tests than any other...passing everything with flying colors, so to
speak. Recently a certain prototype blue has come close - but it has a lot
more tests to go that require time.

"Roger" wrote in message
Just keep on keeping on, Nathan.

Love your product in all ways. Your labels are as inovative
as your ink. Heck, I'd buy your product just FOR the labels
even if I didn't like the procduct.

One quickie...Are there essential differences in eternal vs.
contract? Is Chuck responsible for the contract term.

I've seen what you say on the subject at your site, but
there is still confusion in my head. The words, themselves,
would seem to make the difference until I see eternal on the
black label. Then, I'm confused, again.
--
Roger
Southern Arizona