on handwriting

Old May 9th 04, 03:26 AM
KCat

Yes, when I read what he posted and compared it to what I do and have seen
others do...I mean...Aw, heck, it's Saturday and I don't want to analyze
this anymore.

grin I have spent over 3 hours on the phone with my brother because we
are indefatiguable analyzers (vs. analysts.)

(Sorry, my brain has left the building.)

hey, at least it was there at some point. can't say the same for mine.

best.
kcat

Old May 9th 04, 03:40 AM
KCat

Devil's Advocate here...

I am curious as to why you associate printing with "pretending to be in
kindegarten"?

The question is posed because as I noted somewhere else in this discussion,
my husband is an engineer not terribly far from retirement who has printed
almost all documents of import for his entire career. As Bluesea described
WRT a co-worker, very compact handwriting can still be completely legible.
Some have even said that they have mistaken my husband's writing for printer
output. Part of engineering education in the "his day" was learning
mechanical drawing. This was of course before the days of Autocad and the
like and one needed to be able to communicate technically such that there
was little, if any, confusion. I do not view my hubby's handwriting as
childish at all. In fact, I envy the precision of it as do most people who
see it.

When I use a pencil (Pelikan D200 - great pencil!) I usually print. My
printing still incorporates some facets of the italic hand though. These
also show up when I use a flexible nib which I prefer to use without using
"cursive" loops and flourishes.

So - I'm not picking on you - I am just curious. My generation (I am 40) in
the US was encouraged - okay, forced - to learn to write both printing and
the so-called Palmer method. I don't think it worked out well. My daughter
was forced to be right-handed but other than that I don't recall them really
pushing the issue of legible handwriting.

I am posting this in keeping with my claims of over-analyzing things. :-)

Old May 9th 04, 06:16 PM
Juan

"KCat" wrote in message .com...
[...]

The expression "as if I were in kindergarden" is obviously an
exageration. My friends have told me a million times not to exagerate,
but... ñ_ñ
I used that expression because when you are learning to write,
legibility may be the most important point, and that's exactly what
(in most cases) printing does.
There's nothing wrong with printing, I used to have an american
girlfriend (Hi Margaret! ñ_ñ) who used printing, and she is a well
learned person. Nevertheless, FMPOV, printing seems to be something
like "one size fits all" so to speak, and one of the reasons why I
like fps is because they allow more individuality.

Juan
Old May 9th 04, 07:01 PM
PENMART01

(Juan) scrawls:

My friends have told me a million times not to exagerate.
There's nothing wrong with printing, I used to have an american
girlfriend who used printing, and she is a well learned person.

"well learned" (like "more better") more than implying an exaggeration
indicates illiteracy.

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
*********
Sheldon
````````````
Old May 9th 04, 08:33 PM
KCat

The expression "as if I were in kindergarden" is obviously an
exageration. My friends have told me a million times not to exagerate,
but... ñ_ñ

you can stop exaggerating when I stop babbling. yeah... not gonna happen.
:-)

learned person. Nevertheless, FMPOV, printing seems to be something
like "one size fits all" so to speak, and one of the reasons why I
like fps is because they allow more individuality.

I can get behind that. I like FPs for various reasons but adding
"character" to my handwriting is one of them - especially a nice stub or
oblique or flex or... :-)

kcat

Old May 10th 04, 12:20 AM
Reuben S. Pitts III

Thore Karlsen wrote:

One answer would be to teach yourself some practical variety of
italic handwriting.

Any ideas on how to learn that? I really need to improve my handwriting.
:/

I would suggest the book "Write Now." I am almost certain that you can
get it from Sam at Pendemonium.com.

Reuben who hopes this helps

Old May 10th 04, 06:23 AM
Earl Camembert

I am curious as to why you associate printing with "pretending to be in
kindegarten"?

I remember looking at the "Bill of Rights", it was Maryland copy, and
marveling at the hand writing. I now know that the use of a super
flexible feather was the answer. I could not imagine using block
letters to make the document.

Old May 10th 04, 09:21 PM
Garglemonster

On Sat, 08 May 2004 23:47:07 GMT, "Bluesea"
said:

nib use.) Others disagreed. :-)

Bluesea I used to have a guy working for me who used to leave
Bluesea tiny notes on tiny slips of paper. When others asked,
Bluesea "How can you read his writing?" I asked, "Have you ever
Bluesea really looked or only taken a glance in passing?" It was
Bluesea *always* only in passing because those who actually read
Bluesea what he wrote were amazed that he wrote perfectly formed
Bluesea letters that were perfectly easy to read, only extremely
Bluesea small.

i can't blame people who won't read print that's smaller than a
certain size. too much of a strain on the old eyes. in fact, due to
my eye problems, i can't tell the difference between a \normalsize $B$S(B
and $B$T(B. larger is better.

--

Content: 80% POLYESTER, 20% DACRONi ... The waitress's UNIFORM sheds
TARTAR SAUCE like an 8" by 10" GLOSSY ...
Old May 11th 04, 03:58 AM
Bluesea

said:

nib use.) Others disagreed. :-)

Bluesea I used to have a guy working for me who used to leave
Bluesea tiny notes on tiny slips of paper. When others asked,
Bluesea "How can you read his writing?" I asked, "Have you ever
Bluesea really looked or only taken a glance in passing?" It was
Bluesea *always* only in passing because those who actually read
Bluesea what he wrote were amazed that he wrote perfectly formed
Bluesea letters that were perfectly easy to read, only extremely
Bluesea small.

i can't blame people who won't read print that's smaller than a
certain size. too much of a strain on the old eyes.

Well, these were people in their 20's and early 30's and they didn't try to
read his notes because they were minding their own business. They just
happened to see them on my desk when they came by and noticing the small
pieces of paper with the tiny handwriting, asked.

--
~~Bluesea~~