First time FP buyer/user

Old April 20th 04, 12:00 AM
Angela Moak

ArmsTom wrote:

Hey there everyone.

I've grown tired of the "5 for $3.97" pens you buy at WalMart and thought
I'd give a fountain pen a go. I'm a college student, so cost is a factor.
I don't /really/ want to spend above $50. I'm also a complete newbie to
foutain pens, so I want something that is relatively hassle free. At this
stage, I'm not looking to be a collector (so, perhaps this is the wrong
group :-)), but just have a desire to use something different. If anyone
has any recommendations, that'd be great.

Thanks for taking the time to read - and hopefully for taking the time to
reply

Arms

Arms,

I have a couple of Waterman Phileas that I really like. I've
recommended them to others "thinking about" getting into fountain pens.
The Pelikan M200 is ok, but my first Pelikan was an M800, so I'm a
little spoiled to the bulk of the bigger pen.

Stypen is also a nice inexpensive little writer. It's German made. I
have seen them recently here in Dallas, before that, I brought several
home from discount stores in Germany. Some of the finishes on these are
also a rubber-like coating in various colors. Seems to cut down on some
of the writing fatigue.

Just my $0.02.

--
Regards,

Angela

Remove "not" from address to reply.

Old April 20th 04, 12:07 AM
Andy Dingley

On Mon, 19 Apr 2004 00:51:15 GMT, ArmsTom wrote:

I don't /really/ want to spend above $50.

There are some very usable older pens ('50s - '60s) around for that
sort of money. Parker 51s with the Aerometric filler (the squeezy bar,
not the plunger). Sheaffer touchdowns, where the steel nib versions
are practically given away. Both of these models are also very
reliable, so buying unseen on eBay is a lot less of a gamble than for
some other collectables.

Much though depends on what _you_ like to use. What's your writing
style ? Large or small, so do you need a fine nib or can you use
something larger ? (fine 51s are harder to find). Do you want a
flexible nib, or something more predictable, even if less capable for
a calligrapher.

Do you have RSI trouble (I do) and so find a fatter barrel easier to
hold ?. The 51 or the fatter Duofolds can be helpful here.

Some of my favourite pens are cheaper all-plastic body non-snorkel
Sheaffers of the late '50s. I didn't like these at first, as they
seemed too skinny. The minimum metal designs grew on me too, as I've
never liked holding a metal pen or cap all day. They write well too,
especially the more "traditional" non-Triumph nibs (I still don't
like that aardvark-snout). Fight over a bright red one - it's like a
tiny Ford Thunderbird that fits in your pocket.
http://www.richardspens.com/?page=re...el_profile.htm

I'd spend more than $50 on a pen that I liked to use, but having used
a good many different pens now, I would be very loath to spend any
significant money on something just because I liked the _look_ of it
and hadn't already used it or something very similar for a few days
beforehand. There are differences, and the "style" variation makes a
lot more difference in practice than slight variations in quality. A
"good" fountain pen can be cheap, even if a truly "excellent" one will
still cost a considerable sum.

For an "every day carry" fountain pen, that you can buy in almost any
stationer for next to no money, try a Parker Vector. They also sell a
filler converter, because half the fun of using a fountain pen is in
choosing the ink colour you want. This is a pen you'll always find a
use for, if there's a risk you might lose it, or you just want to try
out a fountain pen and see if it's for you.

--
Smert' spamionam
Old April 20th 04, 12:31 AM
LAllin

On 19-Apr-2004, (morten) wrote:

One of the finest writing pens I have ever had is a Sheafer Triumph
Imperial; currently being liquidated at Arcamax for $10. Take a look
at:
http://www.arcamax.com/cgi-bin/shop?...&offer=cs11418

Wait a sec. Did't think Sheaffer was making these anymore. A
Triumph?? Where are these coming from that ARCAMAX can sell them for
$10???

They aren't being made anymore. Arcamax bought thousands of them from
Sheaffer some time ago and has been liquidating them ever since. They are
down to only one color, where they previously had a wide selection. I have
bought a dozen or so to give to people who want to try a fountain pen.

But, no worries; if you miss the $10 ones on Arcamax, they are frequently
offered on eBay, but a bit more than $10; maybe $20-25.
Old April 20th 04, 01:05 AM
JP

The Safari is a great pen for the money, they stay wet and ready
to write, reliable, sturdy enough to be used like a ballpoint, fun colors
and lightweight, ready for cartridges or converter.

Too bad I fell in love with vintage flex. Nothing like it.

(I wanted so much to like the vanishing point, such a cool pen,
but the clip annoys me when it is in my hand)

When I understand my writing better I'll order a Nakaya,
until then 90 year old Ideals and 50 year old Skylines and
Conways will have to do.

JP

"Bluesea" wrote in message

"ArmsTom" wrote in message
Hey there everyone.

I've grown tired of the "5 for $3.97" pens you buy at WalMart and

thought
I'd give a fountain pen a go. I'm a college student, so cost is a

factor.
I don't /really/ want to spend above $50. I'm also a complete newbie to
foutain pens, so I want something that is relatively hassle free. At

this
stage, I'm not looking to be a collector (so, perhaps this is the wrong
group :-)), but just have a desire to use something different. If

anyone
has any recommendations, that'd be great.

Thanks for taking the time to read - and hopefully for taking the time

reply

Arms

Hey, yourself -

I don't think you'd go wrong with a Waterman Phileas. It's a wonderfully
smooth pen and the kit (cartridges, bottle of ink, converter, etc.) costs
~$30-$35. Waterman also has a Harley Davidson Free Wheel that's available
for ~$20.

You might prefer a Cross ATX. It retails for $60 and $70 depending on

finish
but can be found for $45.

The Parker Reflex isn't as smooth as either the Phileas or ATX, but at $7
(Wal-Mart, Staples) might serve well as a first pen for the wallet-minded.

converter can be bought separately from various sources online if you

can't
find one locally. I've got a couple of pens that cost more than $50 and

$100
but still use the Reflex.

I bought a Sheaffer Javelin for $15 only yesterday so, it's too soon for

me
to say how I like it. The converter is extra.

Lamy Safari is also good. The cost varies from $20 - $30 so shop around.
It's also available as the see-through Vista and aluminum Al-Star (though
I've heard that the Al-Star finish scratches more easily than the Safari).
The converter is sold separately.

If you want to sample the fountain pen experience w/o risking too much
capital, you might want to first try a Pilot disposable called Varsity

that
costs only $3.

When you're ready to spend more than $50, please consider the push-button,
retractable-nibbed Pilot Vanishing Point or the Namiki Falcon (my

favorite)
which has a flex nib.

--
~~Bluesea~~

Old April 20th 04, 01:05 AM
Jeff Miars

Haven't seen anyone else mention it, so I'll throw in another opinion:

I carry a Rotring Core on a daily basis. It writes well, seems rugged,
and has caused no problems. It comes with a convertor and can be found
for about $20.00.

Old April 20th 04, 01:37 AM
Patrick Lamb

ArmsTom wrote:
Hey there everyone.

I've grown tired of the "5 for $3.97" pens you buy at WalMart and thought
I'd give a fountain pen a go. I'm a college student, so cost is a factor.
I don't /really/ want to spend above $50. I'm also a complete newbie to
foutain pens, so I want something that is relatively hassle free. At this
stage, I'm not looking to be a collector (so, perhaps this is the wrong
group :-)), but just have a desire to use something different. If anyone
has any recommendations, that'd be great.

Thanks for taking the time to read - and hopefully for taking the time to
reply

We love these threads -- we all get to list our favorites!

I like three in your price range. (1) Waterman Phileas; all the ones
(bought several for my daughters and one for myself!) I've tried have
been smooth writers, and a nice weight and girth for my hand. (2)
Rotring Freeway; slimmer and lighter than the Phileas, but still
comfortable; and (3) One of the Hero pens Norman advertises on this
group; there are several under $50, and I expect any of these will work
well. The Hero will have a finer nib than the others.

Some people like the Core. I like to look at the weird colors, but I
don't like to write with them.

If you want to spend $50, you can probably get both a Phileas and a
Hero, and see which one YOU like to write with most!

Pat
--
Apologies to those easily confused. Address is spam-resistant.
Correct email address like pdlamb 'round-about comcast point net.
Old April 20th 04, 02:30 AM
ArmsTom

Wow, what a response. Thanks everyone for your input. I will have to try
out a couple of the pens suggested (I'd like to try them all). I'll let
you guys know what I decide on going with (for those of you curious).

Arms
Old April 20th 04, 05:01 AM
Garglemonster

On Tue, 20 Apr 2004 00:05:45 GMT, Jeff Miars said:

Jeff Haven't seen anyone else mention it, so I'll throw in
Jeff another opinion: I carry a Rotring Core on a daily basis.
Jeff It writes well, seems rugged, and has caused no problems.
Jeff It comes with a convertor and can be found for about $20.00.

the core has a nice nib, but some people really hate the
ergonomics and/or the looks. this is a pen you have to try before
buying, especially if you're on a tight budget.

--

.... Now, it's time to "HAVE A NAGEELA"!!
Old April 20th 04, 08:54 PM
Bluesea

"Prashant Singh" wrote in message
news
On Mon, 19 Apr 2004 05:48:18 +0000, Bluesea wrote:

I bought a Sheaffer Javelin for $15 only yesterday so, it's too soon for

me
to say how I like it. The converter is extra.

Once you've had a chance to decide about the Javelin, please post your
thoughts. I'm considering getting a Javelin or a Rotring Freeway.

Will do. It will be awhile because I'm in the process of exchanging the
medium nib for a fine.

Where did you find it for $15? I've mostly seen $20.

Copelin's Office Center in Norman, OK. It's not on their website
(http://www.copelins.com), so you'd have to go there or call or fax:

Phone: 405-364-7011 Fax: 405-321-6476 Toll Free: 1-800-468-1017.

Thanks,
prashant.

You're welcome.

--
~~Bluesea~~

Old April 21st 04, 01:34 AM
Andy Dingley

On Mon, 19 Apr 2004 19:37:42 -0500, Patrick Lamb
wrote:

Rotring Freeway; slimmer and lighter than the Phileas, but still
comfortable;

A Phileas (which I don't have) is heavier than a Freeway (which I do)?

What are they made of ? Depleted uranium?!