EBay lots of the day (postage charges)

Old December 13th 03, 01:33 PM
Dave

Default EBay lots of the day (postage charges)

First of all, I am not the seller or any relation to the seller so
this is not a commercial post!
Now, if you look at these two auctions, isn't the posage and handling
just a bit excessive? I e-mailed the seller about this, expressing the
notion that with those sort of charges they'd never get a bid. No answer.

The postal rates from Sweden cannot be that high, can they?

Dave

Old December 13th 03, 02:42 PM
TC

On Sat, 13 Dec 2003 13:33:53 GMT, "Dave"
wrote:

First of all, I am not the seller or any relation to the seller so
this is not a commercial post!
Now, if you look at these two auctions, isn't the posage and handling
just a bit excessive? I e-mailed the seller about this, expressing the
notion that with those sort of charges they'd never get a bid. No answer.

The postal rates from Sweden cannot be that high, can they?

Dave

Well it appears to be a new seller. 3 Lots offered. Feedback 1.
maybe a polite enquiry by email would help.
If they are sending REGISTERED, I can see $10 postage.
Also ask about combined lots.
I've bought from Europe on similar terms, but I got 5 combined
lots sent registered airmail for the same price.

Blair

Old December 13th 03, 03:02 PM
DROGER Jean-Paul

"TC" a exprimé avec précision :
wrote:

First of all, I am not the seller or any relation to the seller so
this is not a commercial post!
Now, if you look at these two auctions, isn't the posage and handling
just a bit excessive? I e-mailed the seller about this, expressing the
notion that with those sort of charges they'd never get a bid. No answer.

The postal rates from Sweden cannot be that high, can they?

Dave

Well it appears to be a new seller. 3 Lots offered. Feedback 1.
maybe a polite enquiry by email would help.
If they are sending REGISTERED, I can see $10 postage.
Also ask about combined lots.
I've bought from Europe on similar terms, but I got 5 combined
lots sent registered airmail for the same price.

Blair

if I had to send it to you from FRANCE it would be the price for
registered mail: registration fee = 4 euros, letter airmail first class
till 100 g: 3.2 euros the letter 7.2 euros = nearly 9 $!!

I know to send the same from US to Europe would be less expensive.

--
Jean-Paul DROGER (enlever "anti." et remplacer "ptt" par "wanadoo" pour
me joindre en perso; remove "anti." and replace "ptt" by "wanadoo" to

Old December 13th 03, 03:39 PM
Dave

Of course it doesn't say including registration. To me registration
is nearly useless as half the time registered mail is left in my mailbox
without having me sign. Insured I could deal with, but give the buyer those
options.
I have bid on and sold numerous auctions. If a buyer wanted extra
services, then I charge for it. The only exception was if the total was
more than $50... then I would insist on insurance for both our protection.
A flat rate of $9 or $10 without explanation is, on the surface,
unreasonable. The Hong Kong lot closed without a bid though there were more
than 80 hits on it. Perhaps those other people were also put off by the
$9.00 postage charge.
I put in my auctions that I charge reasonable shipping fee. I mean it
too. It is not ethical to gouge a buyer for that fee. If I sell to a buyer
here in the US it is a flat 70 cents if under an ounce. By contrast I have
had to pay as much as $5.00 for similar weight lots! And few of them were
up front with their charges. One charged me $1.25 for each lot with the
explanation that they had to be sent seperately, but what I received was
BOTH lots in the same mailer... $2.50 for an evelope and a 37c stamp.
OK, so you can see how I stand of postage/handling charges. I have
dealt with some very nice sellers as well who have had minimal charges and
sent promptly with great stamps as postage. The ones that believe that they
should make profits on the shipping/handling are just wrong.
Dave (maybe much more than 2c worth)
"TC" a exprimé avec précision :

Old December 13th 03, 03:45 PM
Dave

Actually, Pierre Courtiade was kind enough to purchase the 2001 French
Legendary Trains stamps and CD-ROM for me and accepted only $20 for payment,
which was very reasonable. He also kindly enclosed some used French stamps
for me and I am still in his debt. Of course this was not an auction, but
he could have just as easily taken advantage of the situation.
Dave

Old December 13th 03, 04:46 PM
Tracy Barber

"TC" a exprimé avec précision :
wrote:

[...]

Not true. If so, not by much. I have 1 lot to pay for and it is from
Belgium. It'll cost me $9 to pay for this if I go registered. It's
usually $8 or so from the US to France... Maybe higher now.

Tracy Barber
Old December 16th 03, 10:22 PM
tony

wrote:

First of all, I am not the seller or any relation to the seller so
this is not a commercial post!
Now, if you look at these two auctions, isn't the posage and handling
just a bit excessive? I e-mailed the seller about this, expressing the
notion that with those sort of charges they'd never get a bid. No answer.

The postal rates from Sweden cannot be that high, can they?

Dave

Well it appears to be a new seller. 3 Lots offered. Feedback 1.
maybe a polite enquiry by email would help.
If they are sending REGISTERED, I can see $10 postage.
Also ask about combined lots.
I've bought from Europe on similar terms, but I got 5 combined
lots sent registered airmail for the same price.

You are lucky. Whenever I bid on several lots from one buyer
with a view to sharing postage I inevitably only win one of them!!

--
Tony Clayton or
Coins of the UK :
Old December 17th 03, 03:28 PM
Dakota

Yeah, but!!!!

Now, if you look at these two auctions, isn't the posage and handling
just a bit excessive?

These charges are pretty high - however I've got one a bit stranger.

There is one small block I want. I found it on "Zillions of Stamps".
The price quoted is 90 cents - reasonable enough.

However the dealer states $10.00 minimum and $8.00 insurance.

I thought this was a mistake or that certainly they'd make an
exception and called them. Nope, the cost would be $18.90!

That spot in my album will remain empty for a while longer.

Handshakes,

Dakota

Oh yeah, Happy Holidays to y'all!
Old December 17th 03, 07:41 PM
Eric Bustad

Dakota wrote:
Yeah, but!!!!

Now, if you look at these two auctions, isn't the posage and handling
just a bit excessive?

These charges are pretty high - however I've got one a bit stranger.

There is one small block I want. I found it on "Zillions of Stamps".
The price quoted is 90 cents - reasonable enough.

However the dealer states $10.00 minimum and $8.00 insurance.

I thought this was a mistake or that certainly they'd make an
exception and called them. Nope, the cost would be $18.90!

Well, it should have been $18 even. The 90 cents should be covered by
the $10 minimum.

I don't see anything else strange about this. The dealer has decided
that any transaction of less than $10 is just not worth bothering with
and that insurance ($* was probably for shipping, handling and
insurance?) was necessary.

I do agree that this kind of thing can be frustrating, as I often cannot
find enough stamps from one dealer on "Zillions of Stamps" that I really
want to satisfy that dealer's minimum order. But I recognize that
dealers cannot afford to stay in business if they spend all of their
time handling nickel and dime orders.