OBSOLETE MUSIC FORMATS & COPYRIGHTS-READ THIS

Old September 7th 04, 01:07 PM
trippin28track

Default OBSOLETE MUSIC FORMATS & COPYRIGHTS-READ THIS

WEBSITE LINK AND QUOTE

http://www.newsfactor.com/story.xhtml?story_id=22591

"A motley group of petitioners filed exemption requests -- from
software vendor 321 Studios to the Electronic Frontier Foundation, a
nonprofit privacy organization -- but only four were granted. One
allows access to e-books when the publisher has disabled the
read-aloud function -- a victory for sight-impaired consumers. The
other three have to do with circumventing obsolete digital-rights
management devices, as well as computer programs and video games
distributed in obsolete formats. The fourth provides for the decoding
of Web pages or directories blocked by filtering software."

You guys owe me an apology, for attacking my Ebay auctions. A less
patient person with more time would come after all your asses- and YOU
WOULD BE THE ONE BEING SUED- not me.

t2-8t
Old September 7th 04, 02:07 PM
Bluemuse

This has absolutely nothing to do with music. Read my earlier post regarding
this (this is the October 2003 exception and only runs to 2006). This deals
with these four specific instances only and not music. You can't circumvent
copyrights by dubbing onto "obsolete" formats. Not that I care--you take your
own chances.

--Bob Farace

"I only believe in fire." --Anais Nin
Old September 7th 04, 03:45 PM
winnard

"trippin28track" wrote in message
om...
WEBSITE LINK AND QUOTE

http://www.newsfactor.com/story.xhtml?story_id=22591

"A motley group of petitioners filed exemption requests -- from
software vendor 321 Studios to the Electronic Frontier Foundation, a
nonprofit privacy organization -- but only four were granted. One
allows access to e-books when the publisher has disabled the
read-aloud function -- a victory for sight-impaired consumers. The
other three have to do with circumventing obsolete digital-rights
management devices, as well as computer programs and video games
distributed in obsolete formats. The fourth provides for the decoding
of Web pages or directories blocked by filtering software."

You guys owe me an apology,

Yeah, you're right. I didn't realize you were mentally challenged. I
won't pick on you any more, forgive me. BTW, this post says nothing about
MUSIC.

winnard

Old September 7th 04, 07:16 PM
trippin28track

Yeah, you're right. I didn't realize you were mentally challenged. I
won't pick on you any more, forgive me. BTW, this post says nothing about
MUSIC.

winnard

what about the TAPE GRADING KEY on this page, WINNARD ??

http://home.comcast.net/~dkgibson3/tracks/list.htm

I see "bootleg" in there. GIBSON is selling BOOTLEGS. So he goes
down- sued in court- right ?? What's that last type on the bottom ??

MLB - minor label bubbling (light bubbling that does not seriously
detract from the cart's appearance)
LB - label bubbling (moderate to heavy label bubbling)
DL - dirty label or dirty cart (stains, etc.)
SS - Still sealed
TS - torn shrink-wrap or torn cellophane
CO - cut-out (a cut-out is a tape that was marked for discount. They
have a cut, burn, or drill-hole on the end of the cart to indicate
this.)
SL - sticker on label
WL - writing on label
CRC - Record Club
CR - Canadian Release
PS - Picture Sleeve Cover
BT or Boot - Bootleg
Old September 7th 04, 07:21 PM
trippin28track

here's some BOOTLEG TAPES from GIBSONS' TRACK SHACK

BLOOD, SWEAT & TEARS - B,S&T 4 (MLB,BT)

CARPENTERS - BEST OF ((MLB, DL, BT

EDGAR & JOHNNY WINTER - EDGAR & JOHNNY WINTER (LB, DL, BT

HARRISON, GEORGE - EXTRA TEXTURE (READ ALL...) (MLB, DL, SL, BT

and here's the link, for all to go check and see:

http://home.comcast.net/~dkgibson3/tracks/list.htm

You're busting balls on ebay, and then selling BOOTLEGS on your own sites.

Malcolm, YOUR NEXT
Old September 7th 04, 09:10 PM
Bluemuse

What about dubbing from obsolete to obsolete. You're allowed to make
copies.

You're allowed to make a replacement copy for yourself. You're not allowed to
manufacture bootlegs.

Quads and 8-track stereo tapes are not available commercially- there's
no loss of profit, as there is no profit commercially from 8-track
tapes to begin with. Current releases are CD, DVD, and
cassette...amongst a few others.

The law is pretty clear. You're allowed to dub a replacement copy *for
yourself*. And the point is *not* whether there is lost profit from selling
8-tracks, it's whether the record company claims lost profit from sale of the
music, regardless of format. The copyright is in the *music* and is not
specific to medium. If it was otherwise, you could put all new releases onto
8-track and get around the law.

What about the piles of home made tapes that Salvation Army and
Goodwill sell every year for 20 to 50 cents each ?? I have hundreds of
them- sometimes half the buy is home mades from 20-30 years ago.

Regardless of what the law might be on them selling thirty-year-old second- or
third-hand boots, that isn't justification for you *manufacturing* new boots.

I'm waiting for your answer. They are outwardly selling home recorded
tapes for PROFIT- they get them for free. Lots of good titles too.

Sure. They get lots of stuff for free and sell it for a profit. They're a
charity. They also don't take the time to sort through things. Any record or
tape gets the same price. Any computer printer gets the same price. Any shirt,
etc. Whatever category it's in, it gets that category's price. If they were
forced to sort out the boots, they'd just throw the whole lot away rather than
take the time. Whether this is right or wrong, I don't know or care. Them
selling boots is still not justification for you manufacturing them.

What about the vintage "bootlegs" Cathy and Dan Gibson sell at the
track, with "boot" next to them ??

I know there have been record stores raided that carry boots. Usually what
happens is the boots get confiscated. The critical difference here, Charlie, is
that you are manufacturing them. Again, the reselling of second-hand boots and
whether it's legal or not isn't relevant here. The powers that be come down a
lot harder on someone making and selling.

What about Malcolm's tape list guide, with "bootlegs" in them ??

What about it? A list of boots? Big deal. Hell, Patti Smith lists some of her
boots in her discography. I don't get the point.

The problem here, Charlie, is that you're looking at this as a
you-versus-Evans/Gibson/Winnard/Malcolm/whomever. The law doesn't see it that
way nor do they care. You're smart enough to be able to read the law and
realize you're not covered by any of the exceptions, but you keep grasping at
supposed exceptions and justifications and twisting them because you see it as
losing to "them." A judge would rightly see "them" as irrelevant in the matter
if it ever came before him. And all the "they got away with it" and "we taped
our friends' albums in the 70s and traded King Biscuit Flower Hour tapes"
arguments won't fly. The RIAA has lawyers on staff that get paid whether
they're out chasing people or sitting in their offices with their thumbs firmly
planted in their sphincters. And they *love* making examples of people. Just
look at all the poor kids they're going after for downloading music. Do you
really think they lost as much as they're paying to their lawyers? They don't
care, they just want a head on a pike to parade around for everyone to see.

I'm tired of arguing the point, so go ahead and have the last word. And don't
look at this as a me-against-you thing. I really don't care what you do,
although I do have my opinions. I also have opinions about others' behavior
that instigates more of the crap that's been polluting this newsgroup for far
too long now. No, there aren't only four people reading this group, but some of
us just try to filter out actual useful info from the rest of what's spewed
here. We're not interested in participating in the petty ad hominem attacks. So
I'm not taking sides, just pointing out that no matter how you twist it, you've
put yourself in a position to get your toches caught in an industrial-strength
wringer if you're not careful. The money can't be worth it.

Old September 7th 04, 09:16 PM
The Poodlebutt

We owe you an apology for ****ing people over? Huh? Wha?
Old September 8th 04, 01:31 AM
Goopy Geer

(trippin28track) wrote in message . com...
here's some BOOTLEG TAPES from GIBSONS' TRACK SHACK

BLOOD, SWEAT & TEARS - B,S&T 4 (MLB,BT)

CARPENTERS - BEST OF ((MLB, DL, BT

EDGAR & JOHNNY WINTER - EDGAR & JOHNNY WINTER (LB, DL, BT

HARRISON, GEORGE - EXTRA TEXTURE (READ ALL...) (MLB, DL, SL, BT

and here's the link, for all to go check and see:

http://home.comcast.net/~dkgibson3/tracks/list.htm

You're busting balls on ebay, and then selling BOOTLEGS on your own sites.

Malcolm, YOUR NEXT

Nudo, you are a tard. I checked out that list, and it appears that
these are boots dating to the seventies. If you are such a hot-shot
cart master, why didn't you know that bootlegs were LEGAL back then.
Bonehead.

GG