ECB rules on small denomination Euro currency

Old November 18th 04, 04:48 PM
John Stone

Default ECB rules on small denomination Euro currency

http://www.forbes.com/work/feeds/ap/...ap1663960.html
Old November 19th 04, 02:58 AM
Serenus Zeitblom

(John Stone) wrote in message . com...
http://www.forbes.com/work/feeds/ap/...ap1663960.html

The European Central Bank on Thursday ruled out issuing euro1 and
euro2 banknotes, citing insufficient demand among Europeans for the
low-denomination bills after Italy and Austria set off a debate on the
issue last year.

Hurrah! Common sense triumphs for once. Now, while they are in the
mood, I want a circulating tri-metallic 5-euro to take the place of
that horrid drab little 5-euro banknote. Or how about a 3-euro coin
instead of the 2? So much more logical, 3 being equidistant between 1
and 5......

I must say that I was amused at the "rationale" for 1 and 2 euro
notes: it would pacify the elderly. Jeez, if they are serious about
that they should abolish the euro and go back to good old lire, francs
etc!
Old November 19th 04, 12:19 PM
Christian Feldhaus

Serenus Zeitblom wrote:

Now, while they are in the mood, I want a circulating tri-metallic 5-euro
to take the place of that horrid drab little 5-euro banknote.

While I would certainly not mind having and using such a coin, the
message of the ECB is that at present the coins/notes setup is not to be
changed. And that is fine with me too - in a couple of years we can
still introduce a ¤5 circulation coin :-)

Christian