"Blast White"

Old December 27th 09, 02:56 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Petronius

Default "Blast White"

The term "Blast White" has become so over/misused on eBay so as to become almost
meaningless.
Not that the term makes much sense anyway!
It's not yet come to the point where I won't look at auctions that use the term
in the description but it does send up a warning flare...

Old December 27th 09, 03:14 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Mr. Jaggers

Petronius wrote:
The term "Blast White" has become so over/misused on eBay so as to
become almost meaningless.
Not that the term makes much sense anyway!
It's not yet come to the point where I won't look at auctions that
use the term in the description but it does send up a warning flare...

I reckon we could build a considerably lengthy lexicon of numismatic jargon
that has become meaningless through overuse.

James the Guaranteed Unsearched

Old December 27th 09, 04:06 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Petronius

Petronius wrote:
The term "Blast White" has become so over/misused on eBay so as to
become almost meaningless.
Not that the term makes much sense anyway!
It's not yet come to the point where I won't look at auctions that
use the term in the description but it does send up a warning flare...

I reckon we could build a considerably lengthy lexicon of numismatic jargon
that has become meaningless through overuse.

James the Guaranteed Unsearched

Just a whisper away from uncirculated.
Good for its age.
The was my dad's/granpa's/dog's collection...

Old December 27th 09, 04:38 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Jud

Blast white is not a good attribute for a copper coin. 8-)
Old December 27th 09, 04:57 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Petronius

"Jud" wrote in message
Blast white is not a good attribute for a copper coin. 8-)

Gold coins either! ;-)

Old December 27th 09, 05:31 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Michael Benveniste[_2_]

On Sat, 26 Dec 2009 21:14:34 -0600, Mr. Jaggers wrote:
I reckon we could build a considerably lengthy lexicon of numismatic
jargon that has become meaningless through overuse.

James the Guaranteed Unsearched

"Old cleaning..."

Old December 28th 09, 12:59 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Bruce Remick

"Michael Benveniste" wrote in message
On Sat, 26 Dec 2009 21:14:34 -0600, Mr. Jaggers wrote:
I reckon we could build a considerably lengthy lexicon of numismatic
jargon that has become meaningless through overuse.

James the Guaranteed Unsearched

"Old cleaning..."

..........great addition to anyone's collection..........

Old December 28th 09, 09:35 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Relayer

On Dec 27, 6:59�pm, "Bruce Remick" wrote:
"Michael Benveniste" wrote in message

On Sat, 26 Dec 2009 21:14:34 -0600, Mr. Jaggers wrote:
I reckon we could build a considerably lengthy lexicon of numismatic
jargon that has become meaningless through overuse.

James the Guaranteed Unsearched

"Old cleaning..."

.........great addition to anyone's collection..........

"Old Money" or "Antique Money"
Old December 28th 09, 09:35 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Relayer

On Dec 27, 6:59�pm, "Bruce Remick" wrote:
"Michael Benveniste" wrote in message

On Sat, 26 Dec 2009 21:14:34 -0600, Mr. Jaggers wrote:
I reckon we could build a considerably lengthy lexicon of numismatic
jargon that has become meaningless through overuse.

James the Guaranteed Unsearched

"Old cleaning..."

.........great addition to anyone's collection..........

One seller uses "Blast White" to describe BU for Merc dimes
Old January 4th 10, 01:58 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Mike Marotta

On Dec 26 2009, 9:56*pm, "Petronius" wrote:
The term "Blast White" has become so over/misused on eBay so as to become almost
meaningless.
Not that the term makes much sense anyway!

One of the serious numismatic dealers I know happened to mention a few
years back that his interest was in "blast white" coins. I like him,
so I nodded and noted, and said nothing, but in my head, I was
wondering what that does for the JeweLuster business."

It takes some experience - and yes, foolies are everywhere - but for
myself, I like natural surfaces... whatever that might mean...