Best investment value?

Old October 30th 09, 01:56 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Sam[_4_]

Default Best investment value?

Hi, so far this year I've bought the following gold coins for intrinsic
value and investment value:

1928 st. gaudens ms 63 $20.00 $1,081.00
2009 gold American eagle ms70 $1,141.00
2009 ultra high relief $20.00 gold coin $1,149.00 (i bought this
one the day they were sold by the mint and i'm pretty sure the price was
1,149.00
2009 American buffalo gold coin ms 70 early release $1,320.00
2009 American buffalo gold coin mint proof $1,364.95

All prices include s/h

I like all of these coins I'm wondering should I just buy mint proof coins?
Is the American Buffalo ms70 early release ever going to be worth more then
the mint proof
American Buffalo gold coin?

Thanks,

Sam

Old November 2nd 09, 01:43 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Mike Marotta

Go with the Saint. With 8,8 million struck, it is hardly rare but it
is nonetheless a real Saint Gaudens $20 gold coin. The others are
modern US Mint knock-offs. What gives a coin value is its
historicity.

Mike M.
Michael E. Marotta
"History you can hold in your hand."

Old November 9th 09, 02:21 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
oly

On Nov 8, 6:37*pm, "Sam" wrote:
"Mike Marotta" wrote in message

Go with the Saint. *With 8,8 million struck, it is hardly rare but it
is nonetheless a real Saint Gaudens $20 gold coin. *The others are
modern US Mint knock-offs. *What gives a coin value is its
historicity.

OK

My question would be about your 1928 "MS 63" Saint Gaudens - those
coins usually come nice, but the price seems very cheap for a 2009
purchase. Is the thing slabbed and if so, by whom??? Or is it
"raw"???

I am no big fan of the grading services, but this is a coin that I
would probably only buy if I thought it was nice enough and if it was
in a respectable slab. When gold was much less expensive, I might
have bought (and did buy) raw $20 double eagles. I for one couldn't
easily afford to buy a fake or a problem at the present price level.

oly
Old November 11th 09, 05:57 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Reid Goldsborough[_2_]

On Nov 1, 8:43*pm, Mike Marotta wrote:
Go with the Saint. *With 8,8 million struck, it is hardly rare but it
is nonetheless a real Saint Gaudens $20 gold coin. *The others are
modern US Mint knock-offs. *What gives a coin value is its
historicity.

What gives a coin value is supply and demand. This may be based on its
historicity but doesn't have to be. There are many numismatic items
that have no historicity yet sell for four figures and some that are
awash in it that that are valued by the marketplace for under a
dollar.

I agree that a Saint is more desirable than a American Eagle gold
bullion piece. But that's a subjective, personal opinion having no
bearing on the relative values of these pieces, same as you comment
that the American Eagle pieces are "US Mint knock-offs." Value is
based on supply and demand, not historicity, and not your or my
opinions.

I haven't priced Saints lately, but for a long time and perhaps today
as well their value in the numismatic market was only slightly higher
than their bullion value, despite their historicity, despite their
beauty as well. The supply of these coins was plentiful enough and
their demand was low enough that the marketplace valued them this way.

The above reflect what these coins actually sell for in the
marketplace (mail order, coin shows, coin shops), not manufactured
values that appear in some price guides that appear to be designed to
help dealer/advertisers get better prices for their coins.

The only thing that can be said about future investment value is that
it's a huge uncertainty and that if you're looking for your nest egg
to appreciate over the long term the stock market is a better bet. The
one area in numismatics that has appreciated consistently is the very
high end.

--

Consumer: http://rg.ancients.info/guide
Connoisseur: http://rg.ancients.info/glom
Old November 11th 09, 07:13 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
oly

On Nov 11, 11:57*am, Reid Goldsborough
wrote:
[...]

Are you a registered investment advisor now, Reid???

One could argue that gold is the "yardstick" and that yardsticks don't
change. That it is the value of the paper money that is always
changing (at least until the paper reaches its ultimate intrinsic
value) and the numismatic premium value of the double eagles which is
always fluctuating.

One ounce of gold is always one ounce of gold.

Don't get me started on the U.S. stock market or U.S. high-end
"condition" coin rarities. Those things are wholly ruled by the human
extremes of greed and fear.

And at least U.S. numismatic "condition" rarities are tangibles which
cannot be created out of the clear blue ether, which "they" do every
day with intangible shares of common stock.

oly
Old November 11th 09, 07:18 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Mr. Jaggers

wrote:
[...]

Well, if Reid won't get you started, please allow me. I'm ready to revisit
those topics! We need some action around here.

James the Rabble Rouser

Old November 11th 09, 07:35 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
oly

wrote:
[...]

James the Rabble Rouser- Hide quoted text -

I am happy to enough to rabble rouse, but gee, I don't want to get you
p-o'ed.

oly
Old November 11th 09, 08:21 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Mr. Jaggers

wrote:
[...]

When have I ever been p-o'ed on here? I react to the views of others and
state my own, voilą tout.

James the Outspoken

Old November 12th 09, 03:58 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
oly

On Oct 29, 7:56*pm, "Sam" wrote:
Hi, so far this year I've bought the following gold coins for intrinsic
value and investment value:

1928 st. gaudens ms 63 $20.00 * * * *$1,081.00
2009 gold American eagle ms70 * * * *$1,141.00
2009 ultra high relief $20.00 gold coin * * * * * *$1,149.00 *(i bought this
one the day they were sold by the mint and i'm pretty sure the price was
1,149.00
2009 American buffalo gold coin ms 70 early release $1,320.00
2009 American buffalo gold coin mint proof * *$1,364.95

All prices include s/h

I like all of these coins I'm wondering should I just buy mint proof coins?
Is the American Buffalo *ms70 early release ever going to be worth more then
the mint proof
American Buffalo gold coin?

Thanks,

Sam

I'm still kinda hoping for a better description (i.e., was it raw or
slabbed, and if slabbed, by whom?) of the 1928 Saint in MS63 purchased
during 2009 at only $1,081.

That sounds like a bargain almost too good to be true.

oly

$$ THE 6 DOLLAR INVESTMENT $$ [email protected] Paper Money 1 October 19th 07 07:50 PM
Investment tip? Rod General Discussion 1 August 7th 06 12:53 PM
What an investment! Mr. Jaggers Coins 8 May 11th 06 04:06 AM
Golden investment stonej Coins 3 August 10th 05 01:24 AM
Investment Amanda Scott Paper Money 0 July 15th 03 11:35 AM