Evidence of upsurge in coin-collecting?

Old March 22nd 08, 02:09 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
[email protected]

Default Evidence of upsurge in coin-collecting?

I recently accessed US coin dealer Joel Anderson's web site and found
the following message:-

"NOTE: Due to the huge volume of orders we are running about two weeks
behind on processing orders."

What is causing this sudden popularity, I wonder? Is it the stock
market/credit crunch turmoil that is making people rush into coins?
(Not a good idea, IMHO). And is it silver coins they are going for, I
wonder?

Does any one have any idea what might have caused the upsurge in
interest? Is coin-collecting "on a roll" in the US?

Adam.

Old March 22nd 08, 03:20 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
[email protected]

On Mar 22, 10:09 am, wrote:
I recently accessed US coin dealer Joel Anderson's web site and found
the following message:-

"NOTE: Due to the huge volume of orders we are running about two weeks
behind on processing orders."

What is causing this sudden popularity, I wonder? Is it the stock
market/credit crunch turmoil that is making people rush into coins?
(Not a good idea, IMHO). And is it silver coins they are going for, I
wonder?

Does any one have any idea what might have caused the upsurge in
interest? Is coin-collecting "on a roll" in the US?

Adam.

I think that the uncertainness of the U.S. economy, coupled with the
increases in
gold and silver may have something to do with it. Of course, that has
been tempered
in recent days with the actions of the Federal Reserve, causing the
stock market to
gain huge numbers and the metals markets to see a 'correction' of a
sort.
I only wish I had seen that writing on the wall as it was unfolding,
and sold off
part of my junk silver when it was $20+ an ounce... oh well.

Les
http://life-of-coins.blogspot.com/
Old March 22nd 08, 03:25 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
scottishmoney

wrote in message
I recently accessed US coin dealer Joel Anderson's web site and found
the following message:-

"NOTE: Due to the huge volume of orders we are running about two weeks
behind on processing orders."

What is causing this sudden popularity, I wonder? Is it the stock
market/credit crunch turmoil that is making people rush into coins?
(Not a good idea, IMHO). And is it silver coins they are going for, I
wonder?

Does any one have any idea what might have caused the upsurge in
interest? Is coin-collecting "on a roll" in the US?

Adam.

I think it might be a bit of a stretch to suggest that an upsurge on Joel
Anderson's site would be indicative of an upsurge in the marketplace as a
whole. Joel specializes in unusual coins, and may have had more come in
recently etc. Frankly most of the coins he sells are more interesting in
factor than investments etc.

That said, he is a great and very helpful dealer if you ever see him at
shows on the West Coast, he does have a lot of stuff that most dealers won't
carry, and he is more than happy to show the whole inventory to you if you
let him.

--
My Website on Numismatics - Scottish in Particular:

http://www.geocities.com/scottishmoney

Old March 22nd 08, 03:38 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Peter[_6_]

On Mar 22, 4:20*pm, "
wrote:
On Mar 22, 10:09 am, wrote:

[...]

I'm hearing about a lot of folks selling silver recently.
Old March 22nd 08, 03:40 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
RF

On Mar 22, 10:09*am, wrote:
I recently accessed US coin dealer Joel Anderson's web site and found
the following message:-

"NOTE: Due to the huge volume of orders we are running about two weeks
behind on processing orders."

What is causing this sudden popularity, I wonder? Is it the stock
market/credit crunch turmoil that is making people rush into coins?
(Not a good idea, IMHO). And is it silver coins they are going for, I
wonder?

Does any one have any idea what might have caused the upsurge in
interest? Is coin-collecting "on a roll" in the US?

Adam.

To use such a small statistical sampling (1 dealer) to posit a surge
in coin collecting interest is inane, not unlike claiming it's going
to rain forever because it rained today.

Old March 22nd 08, 04:12 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
[email protected]

On Mar 22, 3:25*pm, "scottishmoney" wrote:

I think it might be a bit of a stretch to suggest that an upsurge on Joel
Anderson's site would be indicative of an upsurge in the marketplace as a
whole. *Joel specializes in unusual coins, and may have had more come in
recently etc. *Frankly most of the coins he sells are more interesting in
factor than investments etc.

He does both modern NCLT and circulation stuff. I usually buy from his
modern circulation stock, as I have world circulation sets going back
to the 1920s. He also does a lot of silver NCLT, so I thought that
this might be attracting Joe Public. Whether they're interested in the
wackier, tackier stuff that he sells, such as guitar-shaped coins,
coloured or appliqué coins, coins wearing a kilt, etc., I don't know.

That said, he is a great and very helpful dealer if you ever see him at
shows on the West Coast, he does have a lot of stuff that most dealers won't
carry, and he is more than happy to show the whole inventory to you if you
let him.

Yes, I've always found him very helpful.

Adam.
Old March 22nd 08, 04:27 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
[email protected]

On Mar 22, 3:40*pm, RF wrote:
On Mar 22, 10:09*am, wrote:

I recently accessed US coin dealer Joel Anderson's web site and found
the following message:-

"NOTE: Due to the huge volume of orders we are running about two weeks
behind on processing orders."

What is causing this sudden popularity, I wonder? Is it the stock
market/credit crunch turmoil that is making people rush into coins?
(Not a good idea, IMHO). And is it silver coins they are going for, I
wonder?

Does any one have any idea what might have caused the upsurge in
interest? Is coin-collecting "on a roll" in the US?

Adam.

To use such a small statistical sampling (1 dealer) to posit a surge
in coin collecting interest is inane, not unlike claiming it's going
to rain forever because it rained today.

True, one swallow does not a summer make, and Joel services only a
small part of the market. Moreover, I suppose it depends on how huge
his huge volume of orders is, but it is unusual these days to hear of
coin dealers experiencing huge volumes of orders, and I wondered if
any one had any ideas what might be behind it.

I've noticed recently in the UK that our decimal system seems to have
come of age, in that you will find a considerable variety of 50p,
pound and two pound designs in your change, as well as the three
different effigies of Queen Elizabeth,
and I'm surmising that this might soon encourage a surge in coin-
collecting in the UK.

It would be unusual, of course, to find one dealer experiencing a
surge of interest on his own, so sometimes you *can* extrapolate to
wider trends. Which is why we end up with general (nationwide) and not
isolated recessions and booms. I've never claimed it would rain
forever, though, or even that Joel's surge would last forever, so I am
happy to leave you to your obsession with statistics (yawn...).

Adam.
Old March 22nd 08, 04:30 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
[email protected]

On Mar 22, 3:20*pm, "
wrote:
On Mar 22, 10:09 am, wrote:

[...]

Did I read somewhere that there is only 17 years' supply of silver
left at current world usage rates? There's a limit to how much can be
discovered and mibned over the next 17 years too, so you'll probably
see a lot more than $20 per ounce if you can hang on for anothe decade
or so. That's if the current finanical turmoil, not to mention "peak
oil" (due early next decade), doesn't lead to "demand destruction".

Adam.
Old March 22nd 08, 06:13 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
RF

On Mar 22, 12:27*pm, wrote:
On Mar 22, 3:40*pm, RF wrote:

On Mar 22, 10:09*am, wrote:

[...]

Let's see now...
You make a completely erroneous bone-headed assumption based on an
alleged increase in orders from one obscure dealer and you think I'M
obsessed with statistics?
Old March 22nd 08, 07:48 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
[email protected]

On Mar 22, 6:13*pm, RF wrote:
On Mar 22, 12:27*pm, wrote:

[...]
It would be unusual, of course, to find one dealer experiencing a
surge of interest on his own, so sometimes you *can* extrapolate to
wider trends. Which is why we end up with general (nationwide) and not
isolated recessions and booms. I've never claimed it would rain
forever, though, or even that Joel's surge would last forever, so I am
happy to leave you to your obsession with statistics (yawn...).

Let's see now...
You make a completely erroneous bone-headed assumption based on an
alleged increase in orders from one obscure dealer and you think I'M
obsessed with statistics?

Whatever you're obsessed with, it isn't coins. You're obviously a very
angry young lady who has had a lot of sadness and frustration in her
life. So, why not go away and give your clitoris a nice massage,
there's a good girl. It'll soothe you, I guarantee. You know you can't
do it while you're holding the mouse. You'll be back to make some more
hysterical comments, I guarantee it, but then you just can't help
yourself really, can you? Never mind - I forgive you in advance.

xxx

Adam.