Stampex

Old March 1st 08, 08:53 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Tony Clayton[_2_]

Default Stampex

Had a rather frustrating trip to Stampex on Thursday.

I did come away with some scarce Italian postal stationery
and a few GB booklets, but what were very noticeable
were the very high prices being charged by the continental
dealers present compared with UK dealers and also compared
with Ebay.

I think that next time I shall stay at home and be prepared
to spend more on Ebay, having paid out a not insignificant
sum on travel and parking (I took my wife with me - she
has vowed not to do that again!)

--
Tony Clayton
Coins of the UK :
Old March 1st 08, 12:03 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Blair (TC)

On Mar 1, 3:53 am, Tony Clayton wrote:
Had a rather frustrating trip to Stampex on Thursday.

I did come away with some scarce Italian postal stationery
and a few GB booklets, but what were very noticeable
were the very high prices being charged by the continental
dealers present compared with UK dealers and also compared
with Ebay.

I think that next time I shall stay at home and be prepared
to spend more on Ebay, having paid out a not insignificant
sum on travel and parking (I took my wife with me - she
has vowed not to do that again!)

--
Tony Clayton
Coins of the UK :http://www.coins-of-the-uk.co.uk
Sent using RISCOS on an Acorn Strong Arm RiscPC
... I'm very dangerous when I know what I'm doing.

Tony :

(Now we need a nickname to distinguish you from
Antipodean Tony and Ottawanean Tony, 8*) )

I think that your mistake was not to give her your
credit card and send her off to Harrods.

Hamletesque Blair
(who lives in a hamlet)
Old March 2nd 08, 08:31 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Asia-translation

On Mar 1, 11:03 pm, "Blair (TC)" wrote:

(Now we need a nickname to distinguish you from
Antipodean Tony and Ottawanean Tony, 8*) )

Hamletesque Blair
(who lives in a hamlet)

Well, clearly this one is the Claytons Tony

Antipodean Tony
Old March 2nd 08, 07:35 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Tony Clayton[_2_]

In a recent message "Blair (TC)" wrote:

On Mar 1, 3:53 am, Tony Clayton wrote:
Had a rather frustrating trip to Stampex on Thursday.

I did come away with some scarce Italian postal stationery
and a few GB booklets, but what were very noticeable
were the very high prices being charged by the continental
dealers present compared with UK dealers and also compared
with Ebay.

I think that next time I shall stay at home and be prepared
to spend more on Ebay, having paid out a not insignificant
sum on travel and parking (I took my wife with me - she
has vowed not to do that again!)

Tony :

(Now we need a nickname to distinguish you from
Antipodean Tony and Ottawanean Tony, 8*) )

Coiny-Tony?

I think that your mistake was not to give her your
credit card and send her off to Harrods.

Sadly, she needs an escort (uses wheelchair, cannot drive)
so that option was out. Frustrating, and more so for her.

I did take her to Oxford Street afterwards, but the traffic
was so appalling we were both too exhausted by the time we got
there.

(who lives in a hamlet)

As do we!

--
Tony Clayton
Coins of the UK :
http://www.coins-of-the-uk.co.uk
Sent using RISCOS on an Acorn Strong Arm RiscPC
.... Laddie, ya think ya might like ta ... rephrase that?
Old March 3rd 08, 02:47 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
John Mycroft[_2_]

I fear you may have fallen foul of the booming value of the Euro compared with the pound (and the US dollar). We've been planning
a summer trip to Europe for some time and finally concluded over the weekend that the only way we can do it is to knock 5 days off
and restrict our travels to one small corner as well as avoiding cities like Zurich and Berlin where hotels are outrageously
expensive. (So long as I make myself sick on heavy German food, my wife gets a heck of a hangover from cheap Italian red wine and
my sone gets to ride ona high speed train, we will, in true American style, have "done" Europe :} )

Talking of taking your wife to stamp fairs, I have what is known in the family as "the most expensive digital camera in the
world". Made the mistake of taking my wife with me and she wandered off to the jewellers next door. An hour later we had an $800
camera and a $1500 bracelet. Even worse, she won't let me buy a new camera now as her bracelet is still as good as the day she
bought it!

Cheers - John

Old March 4th 08, 12:21 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
David Hicks[_2_]

Hmmmmm

You know it worries me, really worries me

Here dear Tony is, by what ever name we wish to give him, discretely
advertising that he is entangled within the higher echelons of our wondrous
British Education system by his emal "ac" then admits to taking his
wife with him to Stampex.

Surely one does not need a degree or Doctorate to realise that such an act
will have a more restrictive action on one's spending ability than any
inflated prices ( LOL)

I once took my wife to Stampex, but then I only have one GCE O level,
grade 6 -- 5th attempt - (sympathy vote I think ) LOL
However, one thing I did learn, send wife to Oxford street whilst you go to
Stampex !!!! she has never complained since. Bought myself a nice PUC £1
cost me £350, ( er sorry £3.50 if the wife is reading this ) plus three
pairs of shoes, two dresses, two coats,
.................lunches...........more dresses, various under garments,
.........two expensive evening meals, theatre tickets, a hotel room,
...............................BUT HEY, IT's CHEAPER THAN A DIVORCE

Regretfully, there is no longer hope for our beloved hobbies to remain
economical any more

Yours sadly and depressed

David

PS how about " Hen Pecked " Tony ??

Old March 4th 08, 08:31 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Asia-translation

On Mar 4, 11:21 am, "David Hicks" wrote:

PS how about " Hen Pecked " Tony ??

Excellent! And I can be Twice-divorced Tony. So very hard to find a
wife who can understand, let alone sympathise, with an obsession with
the postage stamps of Barwani ...

Old March 4th 08, 10:52 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Tony Clayton[_2_]

In a recent message "David Hicks" wrote:

Hmmmmm

You know it worries me, really worries me

Here dear Tony is, by what ever name we wish to give him, discretely
advertising that he is entangled within the higher echelons of our wondrous
British Education system by his emal "ac" then admits to taking his
wife with him to Stampex.

The idea behind that address is simply that whatever ISP I change to,
that address will be the same for the rest of my life. It has the one
unfortunate side effect of not only telling everyone where I went
to University, but when.

Surely one does not need a degree or Doctorate to realise that such an act
will have a more restrictive action on one's spending ability than any
inflated prices ( LOL)

I shall not take this personally!!

I fully realise the way it works. Sadly, sending her off alone to Oxford
Street is not an option, and I have frequently found that a purchase of one item
for me (not necessarily stamps) results in the need to finance another for her!

The idea was to have a day out together. What she does agree about
is that the cost of going into London (about £30 in fuel and £12 in parking
plus expensive food while there, never mind vehicle depreciation etc.)
would have bought quite a few items.

As to high prices, an example is that an Italian dealer had the five
Leonardo da Vinci Postal Stationery cards issued for Trieste in
June 1953 at 90 pounds. I had one already and have just won two
of the others on Ebay for about 12 pounds. They catalogued at just over
8 pounds each, albeit in 1999.

I once took my wife to Stampex, but then I only have one GCE O level,
grade 6 -- 5th attempt - (sympathy vote I think ) LOL
However, one thing I did learn, send wife to Oxford street whilst you go to
Stampex !!!! she has never complained since. Bought myself a nice PUC £1
cost me £350, ( er sorry £3.50 if the wife is reading this ) plus three
pairs of shoes, two dresses, two coats,
................lunches...........more dresses, various under garments,
........two expensive evening meals, theatre tickets, a hotel room,
..............................BUT HEY, IT's CHEAPER THAN A DIVORCE

Regretfully, there is no longer hope for our beloved hobbies to remain
economical any more

Yours sadly and depressed

David

PS how about " Hen Pecked " Tony ??

TC will do.....

--
Tony Clayton
Coins of the UK :
http://www.coins-of-the-uk.co.uk
Sent using RISCOS on an Acorn Strong Arm RiscPC
.... I tried snorting coke...and almost DROWNED

Old March 4th 08, 03:34 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Tony Clayton[_2_]

[...]

Not sure what is going on - I have had several news messages from
Blair (TC) which have copied, but not added to, earlier messages

--
Tony Clayton
Coins of the UK :
http://www.coins-of-the-uk.co.uk
Sent using RISCOS on an Acorn Strong Arm RiscPC
.... (A)bort, (R)etry, or (I)nfluence with hammer.