Marking of Fake Stamps

Old February 23rd 08, 01:29 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
[email protected]

Default Marking of Fake Stamps

Hi -

I've decided to write lightly, in pencil, "FAUX" on the back of stamps
that are truly fakes / forgeries / etc.

I know that many of us, including me, frown on marking a decent stamp,
but what about forgeries / fakes and so forth?

Maybe a small rubber stamp would be better to mark them, but I have
nothing that small to use.

Any ideas / critiques?

Tracy
Old February 23rd 08, 02:35 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Rodney

I've decided to write lightly, in pencil, "FAUX" on the back of stamps
that are truly fakes / forgeries / etc.

For mine, acceptable on a forgery, I wouldn't want it on a fake.
I still pay good money for forgeries, from my supplier
who always has his under "forgeries" listing.
Stamps I could never own otherwise, and make the page
look complete.

Old February 23rd 08, 06:07 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
[email protected]

On Sat, 23 Feb 2008 11:35:55 +0900, "rodney"
wrote:

I've decided to write lightly, in pencil, "FAUX" on the back of stamps
that are truly fakes / forgeries / etc.

For mine, acceptable on a forgery, I wouldn't want it on a fake.

Eh? What is the difference? The only thing I can come up with is
that you may associate fake with cinderellas?

Anyway, even those pesky Belgian RR stamps have forgeries and forged
cancels! Cleaned up four of them this evening, so far. What's even
more amazing with the cheaper stamps is that one can find them CTO.

During the past few years, Belgian SNCB (NMBS for Flemish) has issued
cinderellas, both as single stamps and in souvenir sheets. Some are
quite nice, but I have stopped at the higher speculative items. Some
have seen parcel duty, but very few.

I still pay good money for forgeries, from my supplier
who always has his under "forgeries" listing.

Hmmm... Can't wait until I find out which Peace & Commerce French
Colonies are forged in my stockpile. They're pretty easy to spot, but
still a small pain.

Stamps I could never own otherwise, and make the page
look complete.

Yeah, even though they are forgeries, I'll keep 'em but make sure that
they are marked somehow. Not heavily, mind you, but enough to keep
track of them so I don't need to give them a second glance.

What was funny this evening is that I was able to decipher about 30 -
40 stamps that were questionable before, but the ol' noggin kicked in
with what I've learned in the past 6 months. Some will never be
deciphered and will probably be used for trade. That said, however,
it seems to more that one digs into something, the more one needs to
learn. Off to sort some rectangle cancels.

Tracy
Old February 23rd 08, 08:03 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Rodney

Eh? What is the difference? The only thing I can come up with is
that you may associate fake with cinderellas?

I see forgeries as labels, fakes involve a certain craftsmanship
by an artisan.
I wouldn't like FAUX stamped on a Japanese spliced paper issue,
or a Sperati for instance.
Not that I would be able to identify either.

Old February 23rd 08, 02:50 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
JOBI01

American Philatelic Society passed a resolution (strong suggestion) in
regards to counterfeits, fakes and forgeries requesting that they be
permanently marked (on the back is fine) to prevent future
misrepresentation.

Tom Horn, director of the sales division, says they use a rubber stamp
similar to the stamp used by buyers from the mail circuits.

Counterfeits are complete fabrications created to cheat the government out
of revenue.

Fakes are genuine items that have been modified to make them appear more
valuable.

Forgeries are complete fabrications created to cheat the collector out of
revenue.
--
Bill Lehr
JOBI Philatelic Services

Old February 24th 08, 12:27 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
[email protected]

On Sat, 23 Feb 2008 14:50:17 GMT, "JOBI01" wrote:

American Philatelic Society passed a resolution (strong suggestion) in
regards to counterfeits, fakes and forgeries requesting that they be
permanently marked (on the back is fine) to prevent future
misrepresentation.

Tom Horn, director of the sales division, says they use a rubber stamp
similar to the stamp used by buyers from the mail circuits.

Counterfeits are complete fabrications created to cheat the government out
of revenue.

Fakes are genuine items that have been modified to make them appear more
valuable.

Forgeries are complete fabrications created to cheat the collector out of
revenue.

Gotcha... I'll continue the venture then, because it seems like I'm
in sync.